Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Tough choice for travel.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys.
I will be traveling to Vietnam in a few months, have not been there for 25 years, so there should be many exciting changes there to see. While there, I also plan on visiting the city of Dalat, a very scenic place.
I will be taking my trusty k3, my pentax 50mm 1.8, and my da 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. These will be probably my 2 primary lenses, but I feel I might want something with a little more reach. I have three choices:
* a quantaray 70-300mm variable aperture. Not the greatest, but reasonably sharp and compact, with the farthest reach of the three.
*a pentax-fa 3.8-5.6. 28-200mm variable aperture super zoom. Higher quality, but also variable aperture.
*finally a sigma ex 70-200mm constant aperture 2.8 . Lens. The best of the bunch, fast aperture, but also the biggest and heaviest lens I own.
I guess the question I am asking is if your going to an exciting location, that you may only go to a few times in a lifetime, do you go for the convenience of the smaller but slower zooms, or do you go for broke and carry the big gun with you, even if it's heavy, because you will have the best possible quality, and the fastest aperture?
What would you do? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

07-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me it depends on whether I am walking or riding. If I have the car and will not get too far from it then I have no problem taking the big glass. But if I am hiking any distance the weight is an important factor. Still, a lifetime trip maybe sets that rule aside and you suffer a bit. I think if it were me I would take the Sigma.
07-20-2018, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Having been all over Vietnam and having done lots of traveling of various sorts, it's really going to depend on you and your shooting style, and your travel style for that matter. For Vietnam in general I would not even take a prime lens.

With the K-3 I would take something like the 16-85mm. And that's it. I personally did a couple of around the world trips with that lens and a K-3. When I say that lens, I mean ONLY that lens. Depending on how you travel you should take just what you will need and something very flexible. In Vietnam especially WR lenses IMO are a complete must. It's hot and humid and depending on when you go, you can experience serious rain.

If I was going to fly off tomorrow to Vietnam I would take my K-1 and the 24-70. No tripod, no fluff, just a few extra batteries and a couple of chargers. I personally use the standard charger body that comes with the camera (I usually take two) and I also take a variety of plugs. Also if I was going to Vietnam I would definitely take a dry bag as well. One big enough to hold the camera is fine but up to you.

If you look at the pictures on this listing on ebay you can get all sorts of plugs like that that have no cables to fumble with. It's a plug head that plugs directly into the charger. I don't know the technical name. You can get them straight or bent to 90 degrees. The 90 degree ones work great for anything in the wall.

Battery Charger For Konica Minolta NP-400 DiMAGE A1 A2 / Pentax D-LI50 K10 K10D | eBay

I usually carry two of each. They are small, very light, and don't take up hardly any space. I tend to bounce around a lot so I take more variety. If you will just go to one country take plugs for that country.

For lenses, particularly in Vietnam, a zoom is a must. The action does not stop to allow you to swap lenses or whatever. Unless you have a specific mission for a specific type of photo no real need to haul around any primes. This is assuming you are just going to have fun and document things as you go.

As for long lenses, it's just my experience but they are of limited use in a lot of travel scenarios. Naturally you can take photos with whatever you have, but I tried hauling around a 70-200 on an around the world trip and ended up packing it up and mailing it back home.

Again it's all going to boil down to your personal travel habits and style.

The only real downside to many of the zooms (personal opinion) is they are not standard aperture. I loved the 16-85, but I love the 24-70 even better, especially on the K-1. When it starts getting into low light photography there is definitely a difference. In the day time I prefer to be able to set my aperture and not have it shift on me as with the variable aperture ones. Just personal preference there .
07-20-2018, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
The 50mm 1.8 will work beautifully at night to capture the amazing sights there, but for a walk-around lens, my suggestion would be the 18-135 WR ( with emphasis on the WR ). Vietnam can get lots of rain without much notice, so for me, a WR or AW lens would be a priority. Have a great trip, and post LOTS of pix when you get home.

07-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I should also add that I have an OPTECH sling that I have TWO security points with (one on the camera body and one on the grip) for my K-1. I have to say if you plan to walk, hike, ride motorcycles, boats or anything like that it's by far the best most comfortable thing I have used. I would never go back to a neck strap. EVER.

I got to the point on certain travel destinations to where absolutely everything I take in complete sum total should be able to be carried (by me) while I still have two hands free to drive a scooter. This depends largely on where I am going and for how long.

Over packing really sucks.

I really like to carry my own laptop but depending on the situation I might opt for a small tablet instead. I can't process pictures on the road with that but I can hook up to a hotel wifi or whatever without having to find a internet cafe.

Depending on what you will be doing (no business meetings etc) find yourself a decent small backpack. If it can't fit in the bag, you don't need it. Three or four days of clothes (only very fast drying wicking material), a small dry bag, and wear the sandals on your feet. I wouldn't even bother having a check in bag.
07-20-2018, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you are planning to shoot action in poor light, I think the 70-200/2.8 is a bit much lens for overseas travel. Having your best lens with you will not give you better photos if it's too unwieldy to get out of the bag.

On my three major overseas trips in recent years I took a 55-300 zoom as my long option and found it indispensable - even on the trip where I took the K-1 and used the lens in crop mode. Only you can make a decision about the two zooms you have, but the older Pentax 55-300's are now going very cheap second hand, and would be a step up in quality from either of the two consumer zooms you currently have.

The only time I have packed a BIG lens (it was the DA*300) was for a shorter trip where I specifically wanted to shoot the theatrical shows, in which my daughter was performing. I'm pretty sure I'll be making the same exception at the end of this year, when wildlife will be a major focus.
07-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

....and I would second the recommendation of the 18-135 over your 18-55.
Depending on your expectations and shooting style it may be the only lens you need.

07-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a couple trips with just Q or Qs1 + 01 + 06 and 08.
All others , Sigma DC 17-70 old and then new HSM with DA 18-250, Sigma 18-250 or 18-300.
Very happy with all of them.
I haven't decided if I will take K-1 for the next trip and with what lenses.
07-21-2018, 01:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I also think a very good single zoom lens with great versatility is the DA 18-135mm. It is compact, but with exceptionally fast, quiet, accurate AF. Many here have displayed some very fine photos taken with this lens. This would minimize the need for lens changing. Then the DA HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 in case you need to do some longer range shooting. Finally, perhaps your Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8, in case of special low-light needs, and that should do it.
07-21-2018, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yardbird107 Quote
Hi guys.
I will be traveling to Vietnam in a few months, have not been there for 25 years, so there should be many exciting changes there to see. While there, I also plan on visiting the city of Dalat, a very scenic place.
I will be taking my trusty k3, my pentax 50mm 1.8, and my da 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. These will be probably my 2 primary lenses, but I feel I might want something with a little more reach. I have three choices:
* a quantaray 70-300mm variable aperture. Not the greatest, but reasonably sharp and compact, with the farthest reach of the three.
*a pentax-fa 3.8-5.6. 28-200mm variable aperture super zoom. Higher quality, but also variable aperture.
*finally a sigma ex 70-200mm constant aperture 2.8 . Lens. The best of the bunch, fast aperture, but also the biggest and heaviest lens I own.
I guess the question I am asking is if your going to an exciting location, that you may only go to a few times in a lifetime, do you go for the convenience of the smaller but slower zooms, or do you go for broke and carry the big gun with you, even if it's heavy, because you will have the best possible quality, and the fastest aperture?
What would you do? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
I would consider the 55-300 PLM. It checks everything you could want in a travel lens, compact, WR, great autofocus, wide zoom range and very good image quality for such a versatile zoom. You do need the latest firmware on your K-3 but that is very easy to upgrade to.
07-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would have to agree with a WR zoom. The weather there pretty much dictates WR and constantly changing lenses is something that I personally would not want to do. The 16-85 and 18-135 would be my top 2 choices. As you did not list these as options I will assume you do not currently own them. What I would recommend is that you buy at least one lens. The 18-135 can be purchased used here or on eBay for $200. Then if the budget allows purchase the HD 55-300 non plm around $250 used or the plm version for around $375 used. These 2 lenses should fill every need except low light which you can bring your 50 1.8 to fill.
07-21-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year went on a trip with the wife - about 98% of the shots I took were with the 18-135 - the rest with the 55-300 PLM.

This year, another trip with the wife and shot almost every shot with an 18-200 sigma.

So, I'd recommend getting the 18-135 WR lens for your trip and sell off the others to help pay for it.
07-21-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for the comments and suggestions! It gives me a lot to conscider, and I very much appreciate you all taking the time to help me! But I guess, that is what we pentaxians do best! 😊
07-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some thing else to consider

if this is a trip of a life time, or one that won't be repeated easily

have you considered a back up camera

if your back up is also a Pentax DSLR, you could have instant access to two lenses

remember

Murphy's law

anything can go wrong will go wrong

and

Finnigan's corollary to it

Murphy is an optimist

what would you do if your K 3 went bad?

of course you would have to be able to transport and carry two set ups.

BTW, since you live in the US you might want to investigate whether to rent any gear you need, it might be cheaper than buying it

I have used LensRentals.com with good success but there is at least one other company
07-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
some thing else to consider

if this is a trip of a life time, or one that won't be repeated easily

have you considered a back up camera

if your back up is also a Pentax DSLR, you could have instant access to two lenses

remember

Murphy's law

anything can go wrong will go wrong

and

Finnigan's corollary to it

Murphy is an optimist

what would you do if your K 3 went bad?

of course you would have to be able to transport and carry two set ups.

BTW, since you live in the US you might want to investigate whether to rent any gear you need, it might be cheaper than buying it

I have used LensRentals.com with good success but there is at least one other company

I do have a pentax k20d, but decided to keep it home so if something unforeseen should happen, I would not lose both bodies. But I will be bringing along my Pentax MX-1 as a backup, and for the wife to use later, as she will be staying there longer than I will. It is a good little camera, with good glass on it. Was also thinking of bringing my Pentax W-90 all weather camera, it is rugged and dirt and waterproof, and might be a perfect one to throw into a pocket and taking to the beach and things, even though the picture quality is not quite the same as the other two cameras, you can still use it in conditions that you can't with the other two.....