Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Serial Image Mode very slow [Pentax KP]

Hi,

I have read what kind of SD-Card my Pentax KP supports (Class 10, UHS-I) and decided to give it a go with the 64GB Transcend Class10 UHS-II. The card reaches the expected MB/s (95 read, 60 write) when used in as USB3 card-reader or the SD-Slot in my Laptop. It should be more than sufficient for the Pentax KP.

The thing now is: The camera is supposed to make 7 images/s on high and 3/s on medium speed. It seems to do that, for about a second or two and then drops to abysmal speed, below 1/s no matter what I do to the trigger.

Do I need a faster card?

07-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely the KP's internal buffer runs full. It happens in just a bit above a second if you shoot RAW.

When the internal buffer is full the camera slows down to a speed determined by how fast (or slow) it can write to the card. I think your card is faster than the KP can utilize, so an even faster card won't help.

The specifications are
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 28 frames (JPG), or up to approx. 8 frames (RAW),
M: 3 fps up to approx 70 frames (JPG), 15 frames (RAW),
Lo: 0.8 fps up to approx. 100 frames (JPG), up to appox. 100 frames (RAW)

Our in-depth review of the KP looked into the perfomance, read about it here.
07-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The specifications are
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 28 frames (JPG), or up to approx. 8 frames (RAW),
M: 3 fps up to approx 70 frames (JPG), 15 frames (RAW),
Lo: 0.8 fps up to approx. 100 frames (JPG), up to appox. 100 frames (RAW)
I think that was the part I was missing. I would not call that "Continous" Burst mode... ok. I know the limitation now and will need to plan the burst better. Thanks!
07-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Additionally. many cards report artificially high speeds. I have several recent (not counterfeit) Lexar cards rated at over 90MB/s, but in real life never get above 10MB/s. Other brands do the same... it's just that Lexar used to be a high end name and noting that even they can suck.

You may want to try writing very large files to/from the card on the desktop and time how long it takes to transfer, and calculate the actual read/write speeds.

8 frames at 7fps is pretty poor specs. :-(.
It's honestly rare where I have needed more than four or five, but dang, I would not have expected that.

Last edited by amoringello; 07-21-2018 at 05:43 AM.
07-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

also, settings like shadow correction, highlight correction, lens correction slow down the writing process dramatically.
07-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
You may want to try writing very large files to/from the card on the desktop and time how long it takes to transfer, and calculate the actual read/write speeds
Yes, I did that (before the camera use, I used this card to boot an OS from and did pretty thorough testing). Under Linux I used dd for that, but if you have a windows computer h2testw (am I allowed to post links here? https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539 ) might come in handy. Free software from the times where people sold manipulated 1 GB sticks as 4 GB capacity. Writes a set amount of data (or all available space) and reads it to verify broken sectors and speed. Basically what dd does but in a nice, windows interface.

QuoteQuote:
8 frames at 7fps is pretty poor specs. :-(
When shooting jpg it's more frames until the buffer is full... but I need to shoot raw to develop the macro images out of camera... well, it's not good but at least I don't have to spend money on a faster card or such things because it behaves according to specs (once you have read the fine print).

QuoteQuote:
also, settings like shadow correction, highlight correction, lens correction slow down the writing process dramatically.
Oh? I thought that on-board processor does that "on the fly"? Good to know. Can I switch them off? I think lense-correction only happens in camera if it's non-vintage Pentax glass, right? Should not apply for Sigma?
07-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoRK Quote
Oh? I thought that on-board processor does that "on the fly"? Good to know. Can I switch them off? I think lense-correction only happens in camera if it's non-vintage Pentax glass, right? Should not apply for Sigma?
It does it on the fly...which is exactly the issue, it takes time and so the 'flight' takes longer. Doing it offline will speed up the write process.
Yes, you can switch it off in the settings. The manual is your friend, it will tell you all about all of these things you are asking about.
No, it applies to all modern lenses, but almost certainly not vintage ones since they don't tell the camera what they are so it can't identify it,
07-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheoRK Quote
Yes, I did that (before the camera use, I used this card to boot an OS from and did pretty thorough testing). Under Linux I used dd for that, but if you have a windows computer h2testw (am I allowed to post links here? H2testw | heise Download ) might come in handy. Free software from the times where people sold manipulated 1 GB sticks as 4 GB capacity. Writes a set amount of data (or all available space) and reads it to verify broken sectors and speed. Basically what dd does but in a nice, windows interface.

When shooting jpg it's more frames until the buffer is full... but I need to shoot raw to develop the macro images out of camera... well, it's not good but at least I don't have to spend money on a faster card or such things because it behaves according to specs (once you have read the fine print).

Lens corrections are available for Pentax lenses only, (most) FA or newer. The distortion correction is the slowest of the bunch, and it virtually kills your buffer when enabled, because the camera locks up to do processing before being able to write (1-2s extra per frame).

This mostly applies to JPEG shooting, though. In raw mode your selections just get saved in the metadata.

For a larger RAW buffer you can go for the K-3 or K-1, or whatever future crop flagship replaces the K-3. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to overcome the KP's 8 frame limitation other than slowing the frame rate or shooting in JPEG.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, with a Kp you'll hit the buffer really fast if you hold down the shutter in continuous mode - If I have to shoot a fast series i tend to go to jpg (which is actually remarkably good) and drop the speed, and possibly the size a bit. Only way around it is to use a different camera.