Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I hope to by the end of October. I'm taking a trip to the Smokies and want to experiment some and see what I've learned. I'm a landscape/nature lover and I have some great shots and I'm hoping this only makes it better.

Will gladly share once I get some shots in.

09-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #17
Banned

welcome to the forums, and its wealth of knowledge! glad everything worked out for you.
09-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good for you, Julie! I doubt it is a Ricoh mount as those seem to require much more complicated removal techniques, but put a pic up and someone will tell us.......
04-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Just in case someone comes here with the same problem: If it doesn't work by playing with the AF/MF switch then a proven solution is to use an automotive feeler gauge to get between the mount and the lens and make the pin retract.

04-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Seamuis, I have a Ricoh K mount and there are no problems - it is an old model without any protruding pins - it functions well as a manual lens. So, not all Ricoh K mount lenses are problems.
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #21

Funny, just had this happen to me this morning. Bought a Sears SM 60-300mm (A)P KR and it jammed on. Well, after searching the net I found a few stories about this and being a car guy I have numerous feeler gauge sets, so I went and got the crappiest of the bunch. After a while, I think I actually "sawed" the pin enough to pop it, and I got the lens off. I immediately took the four phillips-head screws out of the back of the lends and popped that little pin out. NO problems now.

A word of warning to others. It was NOT, REPEAT, NOT an easy procedure. 2 sets of hands and about an hour of messing with it. Like I said, I believe I actually cut the pin some (there was an obviously mark in it and a few shards that fell out when I opened it) with my sawing action of the feeler gauge. Im a VERY strong person (been lifting weights just about every day for 18 years) so I think that helped. There was no finessing this thing and I cant honestly believe people were lucky enough to get a feeler gauge in there and just pop the pin down. NOT an easy procedure. But, with the pin out, the lens works fine. CAUTION!!!!!! Duane
05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DuaneV Quote
Funny, just had this happen to me this morning. Bought a Sears SM 60-300mm (A)P KR and it jammed on. Well, after searching the net I found a few stories about this and being a car guy I have numerous feeler gauge sets, so I went and got the crappiest of the bunch. After a while, I think I actually "sawed" the pin enough to pop it, and I got the lens off. I immediately took the four phillips-head screws out of the back of the lends and popped that little pin out. NO problems now.

A word of warning to others. It was NOT, REPEAT, NOT an easy procedure. 2 sets of hands and about an hour of messing with it. Like I said, I believe I actually cut the pin some (there was an obviously mark in it and a few shards that fell out when I opened it) with my sawing action of the feeler gauge. Im a VERY strong person (been lifting weights just about every day for 18 years) so I think that helped. There was no finessing this thing and I cant honestly believe people were lucky enough to get a feeler gauge in there and just pop the pin down. NOT an easy procedure. But, with the pin out, the lens works fine. CAUTION!!!!!! Duane
Ah, Yes.. the dreaded RPS. Ricoh Pin Syndrome. Seen all kinds of solutions, the feeler gauges is a popular one. The last guy I saw post about this just grabbed hold and gave it a good twist over powering it. This action will probably shear the pin off though I personally don't recommend it. I hope Julie got it managed 2 years ago of course..

05-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #23

I know its an old thread, but I didnt until I started writing my response, and then I continued in case someone else out there was in the same trouble. It was various forums I found after I got the lens stuck, which helped me in the right direction. Just trying to post some helpful info in general. Duane

09-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
gbh

I just joined this site and also just bought my Pentax K-X DSLR camera. The Advertising indicated that I could use my old manual lenses, so when I mounted my zoom lens on the KX this morning I found that I cant get it all the way on, nor can I get it off. I have read several posts on the subject and determined it must be the dreaded Ricoh Pin. I have tried everything that I found on the net, except for sawing the lens off and overpowering the lens. It appears that my Ricoh Pin is the long pin and not the ball type. I have tried for over an hour to work it down with a feeler gage with no success. Has anyone had this happen with the Ricoh pin being the long type and were successful in getting the lens off. If so, please let me know how to do it PLEASE.

George
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbh Quote
I have tried for over an hour to work it down with a feeler gage with no success. Has anyone had this happen with the Ricoh pin being the long type and were successful in getting the lens off.
I haven't had that problem myself, but I have a suggestion: Have you tried to operate the lens release button while you are trying to get between the Ricoh pin and the mount with the feeler gauge? The AF/MF switch should work as well.

The Ricoh pin slots into the AF screw drive hole in the camera mount and the AF screw of the camera is spring loaded. By making it retract and reangage (by operating the lens release button or the AF/MF switch) you might be able to push back the Rico pin just enough to get in between it and the camera mount with the feeler gauge.

So, if press down the lens release button and then let go off it as quickly as you can (and repeat this action combined with slightly wiggling the lens on the mount) then you may create an opportunity for the feeler gauge to slide between the lens mount and the camera mount at the position where the Ricoh pin slots into the AF screw driver hole.

EDIT: Have you been trying to succeed with the feeler gauge while AF is engaged? If not, that's worth a try before you start engaging / disengaging the AF repeatedly (using the AF/MF switch or the lens release button).

It may help others in assisting you if you could post a description of the lens currently glued to your K-x.

EDIT2: I hope it won't come to this, but at least a better idea compared to sawing off the whole lens is sawing off just the pin with a really thin rotary saw blade. Just make sure your AF/MF switch is in the MF position when you go down this route.

Last edited by Class A; 09-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
gbh

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried everything that has been presented to me with no luck. Please note that the lens is not completely on. It likes about 30 degrees of rotation before it is completely on. I can not move the lens in either direction more that about 1/32 of an inch.

As previously stated, I am willing to try anything that won't damage the camera so keep the suggestions coming.
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

This photo shows a lens rotated to the exact point where the Ricoh pin falls into the slot for the AF drive pin. On this camera, the *ist DS, the top center of the lens (white line) is just about to go under the projection for the onboard flash, if you were looking down at it.

Someone with a K-x might be able to show you exactly where the AF drive pin slot is in relation to something you can see.

If you tell us what the lens is, someone who has it might be able to supply a photo of the mount. If you knew where the mount screws were, you could saw into the lens and through the screws. Once the screws are severed, the lens should come off. Although I'd saw as a last resort, this way you should avoid getting debris into the camera and it won't take forever. An ordinary hacksaw with a new blade should work fine.
09-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Is it a Vivitar lens?

In addition to the dreaded Ricoh pin, some Vivitar lenses have a guard for the aperture lever that is longer than the one found on genuine Pentax lenses. On Pentax dslrs equipped with power contacts for SDM lenses, which includes the K-x, that guard hits the power contacts and won't go on all the way.

However, I've never heard of anyone not being able to get the lens OFF the camera. Perhaps you were a little over zealous trying to get it ON and wedged it against the power contacts. If that's the case, you might be able to get it off by simply applying as much force as you did trying to get it on. I doubt that you've caused any damage to the contacts, but if you have, the damage is already done and forcing the lens off won't make it any worse.

If it is NOT a Vivitar lens, don't try to force it off. My suggestion only applies to Vivitar lenses with the extra-long guard.

The good news is that, like the Ricoh pin, the guard is easily modified or removed. That is, of course, if that is indeed your problem.

Please tell us exactly which lens you are having the problem with. If it is a Vivitar lens, perhaps someone can post a picture of the back of the lens. The extra-length guard is easy to spot.
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Someone with a K-x might be able to show you exactly where the AF drive pin slot is in relation to something you can see.
Figure 1 of Bojidar Dimitrov's KAF mount description (the left hand side features the camera mount) shows the position of the AF screw (called "auto-focus transmission shaft" in the diagram).

Gbh, have you tried to put the feeler gauge at this spot?
Note that DuaneV actually saw off the pin with a feeler gauge (at least partially) and then could pop it off. With any sawing action, make sure the camera is set to "MF".

In any event, the diagram shows which area of the lens you may need to attack should you fail to move the pin or saw it off while the lens is in place.

Not sure what the chances of this "plan B" are, but before you drill and saw into the lens, you could try to dismantle it non-destructively, i.e., remove the front elements, etc. With the lens being a zoom, this is probably a long shot at getting to the pin, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will solve the issue without damaging the camera.

Last edited by Class A; 09-11-2011 at 10:11 PM.
09-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #30
Site Supporter

It would be a good idea to hold the camera facing down when you wrestling with the lens or should you decide to use a tool to separate the lens. If anything dislodges from the lens, you could try to keep it from getting in the camera's mirror box.