Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
In addition to the dreaded Ricoh pin, some Vivitar lenses have a guard for the aperture lever that is longer than the one found on genuine Pentax lenses. On Pentax dslrs equipped with power contacts for SDM lenses, which includes the K-x, that guard hits the power contacts and won't go on all the way.

However, I've never heard of anyone not being able to get the lens OFF the camera. Perhaps you were a little over zealous trying to get it ON and wedged it against the power contacts. If that's the case, you might be able to get it off by simply applying as much force as you did trying to get it on. I doubt that you've caused any damage to the contacts, but if you have, the damage is already done and forcing the lens off won't make it any worse.

If it is NOT a Vivitar lens, don't try to force it off. My suggestion only applies to Vivitar lenses with the extra-long guard.

The good news is that, like the Ricoh pin, the guard is easily modified or removed. That is, of course, if that is indeed your problem.

Please tell us exactly which lens you are having the problem with. If it is a Vivitar lens, perhaps someone can post a picture of the back of the lens. The extra-length guard is easy to spot.
I have one of those Vivitar lenses, and there's no way you could fully mount it without chewing through an inch of metal inside the mount. When trying to mount one, it'll sit in the mount, but it won't turn at all.

I found it's a very simple fix though. Remove the two screws on the ring with the oversized flange, and take it off. Done. I've found no ill effects to using the lens without that flange ring. Just stick the ring and the screws in a little Ziploc bag, in case you ever want to sell the lens.

09-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #32
gbh

I finally got the lens off my KX. I tried everything that was suggested and the only thing that worked for me was brute force. I put a strap wrench around the lens and held the body down while pressing the lens release button. Finally I heard a pop and the lens moved and came off. After inspecting the lens and body I noticed that the KX body has two locking pins, while my A3000 has only one. While I was trying the feeler gage suggestion I could feel the pin near the release button move up and down and the pin near the AF/MF would not move. Once the lens was off the body, I also notice that the pin near the AF/MF had jammed into a screw hole on the lens.

When the lens was off, I checked out the release button and when depressed, both pins retracted. Why one would retract and the other didn't with the lens on, I have no idea. I wonder why Pentax saw fit to install two pins? I was able to save both the lens and the body.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate each and every one of them.

gbh
09-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Good to hear that you were able to separate the lens from the body.

QuoteOriginally posted by gbh Quote
After inspecting the lens and body I noticed that the KX body has two locking pins, while my A3000 has only one.
To the best of my knowledge, the K-x has one locking pin only. The other "pin" should be the AF screw that drives the AF slot of screw-driven AF lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by gbh Quote
Why one would retract and the other didn't with the lens on, I have no idea.
It seems most likely that the one that didn't move was the infamous Ricoh pin on the lens, stuck into the hole of the mount that features the AF screw (what you describe as the "second locking pin"). This would explain why the pin wouldn't move as it belonged to the lens. Apparently it either does not retract at all or making the AF screw of the camera engage and disengage wasn't powerful enough to make it retract.