Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie -- Help requested -- lens won't come off

Hello everyone,

My name is Julie and I'm a newbie to the forums. I'll post a more detailed introduction soon but I have a pretty big problem and I'm hoping someone on the forums can offer advice.

I am a very recent upgrader to the Pentax digital cameras. I would still consider myself a novice photographer. I used to use the manual K1000 with various lenses and flashes.

I upgraded to the K200D in the last 3 weeks. While I've read a ton of information, I probably didn't read enough and think I did something wrong. I put one of the lenses from my old camera onto the 200 and now I can't get it off.

It was not a Pentax brand lens but fit my K1000 which I thought was supposed to work on the new camera.

Right now the camera is completely useless as it doesn't even recognize that there is a lens attached.

I contacted customer service on the Pentax site but they said they couldn't help me because it wasn't a Pentax brand lens and directed me to return it to a Pentax repair facility.

My questions are:
Does anyone know how I might remove this lens?
Or would a local camera shop/retailer be able to help me?

or should I just trust Pentax and send it back to them?

I really wanted this camera for a trip at the end of October and after spending the money I did, I'm really concerned about the right action to take.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you need additional info from me, please let me know.

I'm looking forward to using this camera and really hope this bump in the road is not a sign of things to come.

Thanks
Julie

09-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Julie, welcome to the Forum. Sorry about your problem, but for help you'll need to more specific. What kind of lens? Include all the nomenclature listed on the lens. It counds like it might be a Ricoh, as their mounting system was different than Pentax but the lenses would still mount but are very difficult to remove. Others have had this problem and would be better able to give you advice. Good luck, but let us know what kind of lens?

Regards, JK
09-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Igilligan

It would help to know...

Exactly what lens you put on there?

I am sure some of the Veterans can walk you thru it....
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Just after I posted my message, I knew I'd forgotten the most important info. Unfortunately, the lens is at home and I'm at work.

Will post this info when I get home from my appointment late tonight.

I believe the lens was a Focal 28-80mm Macro, but will confirm tonight.

Thanks again,
Julie

09-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
First, make sure the camera is off. Then try holding the lens release button the camera down and turning the lens clockwise (facing the camera). This is the same direction as if you were attaching the lens. If one of the pins has hung up from tension, this will release it.

While still holding the release button, now turn the lens counter-clockwise. You may have to 'wiggle' the lens back and forth in both directions (remembering that counter-clockwise is the way it comes off) to get it to free up.

BTW: Make sure you are holding the release button in all the way!
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Banned

Ricoh could be your problem, I hope not....

the lens may be a PK/R lens otherwise known as a Ricoh K mount. these lenses have no issues with Pentax Manual focus bodies but the lens mount has an extra rear pin that gets stuck in the AF screw drive slot of any AF Pentax body such as your K200D. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way, but it can be removed without damage if done correctly. this link might help in getting it off, good luck. and let us know how it turns out. Sears 60-300(auto aperture, push pull zoom): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

for future reference Ricoh K mount is a NO-GO.
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hopefully it doesn't come to this:

Lens stuck on Pentax SLR
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Banned

^ that guy is stupid, there are other methods of getting a stuck lens off....

09-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
for future reference Ricoh K mount is a NO-GO.
Well, if the Ricoh pin is removed the lens is good as any other K-mount lens. I have removed Ricoh pin from my P-KR macro lens and it mounts on my K10D with no problem. I have also heard that there are two types of pins. The one that's rounded shouldn't cause a problem with DSLRs.
09-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Julie,

Sorry about your lens issue. Although I can't help to remove it I can help you get your camera working with it.

If you press the menu button scroll over to the Custom menu on the Right.
Press the down arrow (or up arrow) until you come across a feature saying aperture (it really says allow use of aperture ring, or something like that)

You'll want to press the Right arrow when this is highlighted, and change the setting to allow use.

You'll have to shoot in Manual with this, and any other manual lenses.
09-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I have also heard that there are two types of pins. The one that's rounded shouldn't cause a problem with DSLRs.
I did not know that, thanks. still wont be using any Ricoh lenses though.
09-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We haven't used any Ricoh lenses on DSLRs, but have used Sigma, Quanteray, Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron, and Pentax manual lenses from our K1000 days without problems. I just told my wife to avoid trying her Ricoh lens on her DSLR just in case.

Though we have a lot of lenses, none cost over $199 except we each have a Pentax Macro.
09-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lens details

Hi everyone,

Finally got home and am able to give the exact lens details.

Focal MC Auto Zoom 1:4.5 80-200mm No. K8622615

Based on the responses and some of the other things I've read, I'm confident I'll get it off without sending it out, but I haven't succeeded yet. Part of the problem is that I don't want to damage the lens either. This was one given to me by my dad and he eventually wants it back. He had it rebuilt and has some money into it. Didn't anticipate this problem so all help is greatly appreciated. Guess I'm just the type that jumps in with both feet.

And I'm sorry I'm not exactly sure who gave the aperture tip, but thank you. I had forgotten that step amongst all my reading and setting. Someone please tell me this eventually sinks in. lol

Anyway thanks again. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this forum.

Julie
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did it!!!

Sorry for posting one right after the other, but I got it off!!!!

I'm still not sure if it's a Ricoh mount (maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it here) but the link provided by seamuis for the Sears 60-300 provided just the tip I needed.

For anyone else out there who needs the tip, here's what worked on the lens mentioned in my previous post...

I set the AF/MF switch to AF causing the AF pin to engage. This loosened up the lens just enough that I was able to gently put pressure on the lens while holding down the release button and presto, it came off.

No damage to either piece of equipment.

Thank you everyone... you do not know (or maybe you do) just how much of a weight was lifted tonight.

Now back to more and more reading...
Julie
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Congrats Julie,

I hope that you reward us by posting some beautiful photographs some day