Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Is this fungus?

I'm new to lenses and I don't know exactly what this is and if it's something that can be cleaned out> Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
07-25-2018, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly, but it looks atypical for classic fungus. Try backlighting the photo, sometimes that makes it easier to identify.

Could possibly be de-lamination of one of the coatings.
07-25-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It could be the very start of a fungal 'mass' infection - i.e. lots of infection nodes all simultaneously growing/ coalescing, hence looks atypical. Almost like some petri dishes I have played with in my university days - eeek
07-25-2018, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #4

Looks like it's fungus/mould. If you can open, get the lens apart, and of course put it back together again. it should be able to be cleaned.

07-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find it difficult to tell, but this seems to affect the front element only. That is generally fairly easy to remove, inspect and clean. If you have identification of the lens, there's probably someone out here who had taken one apart before you willing to share the best tips and trucks.
07-26-2018, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to tell, but I think the first question to answer is do you want to get into cleaning vintage lenses? It's not that hard once you get some basic tools. For a lens like this, it appears from your photo you will unscrew a ring that's holding the front element. You'll ned something to grip it. There are rubber lens tools for this purpose. I picked up this set and have found it good, but unfortunately, it's not listed as available, but this gives you an idea of what you're looking for:

amazon.com : 18 Sizes Lens Tool / Filter Wrench Set Rubber 37mm 43mm 49mm 52mm 55mm 58mm 62mm 67mm 72mm 77mm 82mm 86mm etc : Camera Lens Accessories : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

here is another set that's similar - you need to figure out sizes:

amazon.com : Japan Hobby Tool Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener for Camera Lens Repair Made in Japan : Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Once apart, soaking in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia will remove fungus, if that is what it is.

All that said though, the bottom of the element in the photo looks different from any fungus I've encountered, so not sure if you have some other separation or coating damage going on. You certainly don't have anything to loose by opening this up and checking it out.
07-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

I've seen fungus that looks like that. Most fungus starts as filaments near the edges, or one spot nearer the middle that radiates outwards.

But on one lens type, it always looks like this: Minolta AF 24-85mm.
I'm not sure why, but it always has multiple spots that looks just like your photos, and they are always in the inside of the front element.

08-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bottom of the element seems to resemble fungal growth, although not really anything typical, more like something I'd see on a petri dish. That or it might be haze, but either way you should be able to clean it if you remove the front element.
08-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lr_photography_soflo Quote
I'm new to lenses and I don't know exactly what this is and if it's something that can be cleaned out> Thank you
Ooops. It looks like balsam separation
08-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm no expert (I was asking about lens fungus a while ago) but to me it looks like balsam separation and coating pealing.
08-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen quite a few lenses with fungus and this doesn't look like any I've seen - so I suspect (as others have mentioned) that it's balsam separation. I'm not sure how you fix that, but I suspect the answer is to just shoot photos 'cause the cost to fix will outweigh the value of the lens.
08-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I've seen quite a few lenses with fungus and this doesn't look like any I've seen - so I suspect (as others have mentioned) that it's balsam separation. I'm not sure how you fix that, but I suspect the answer is to just shoot photos 'cause the cost to fix will outweigh the value of the lens.
You ment Dead Lens Club?

Any way, if the lens is really a gem:

Old Lenses can be restored by Re-cementing « SKGrimes

or find another "as is" lens to get the spare part

[edited to redirect to the Dead Lens Club]