Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed to decide which lens to use at the wedding.

My niece is getting married again in an hotel in a few hours (just my luck the aircon has stopped working there) and have to choose whether to use my Pentax DA 18-55 AL11 kit lens or my Pentax-F 35-105mm F:4-5.6 on my K-5.
I will be using the onboard flash as well as natural light and am hoping the slight softness of the lenses will make for good images.
I think I will need both the 18mm and 105mm focal lengths and do not want to take both.
Your opinions please, which lens?

07-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have both, you'll likely need both... Use both. Although the 35-105 is probably more versatile.
Try to use that one lens for as much as you can so you limit lens changes. (both for time wasted and for getting dust on your sensor)

It's a horrible spot to be put in, but it is why professional wedding photographers have backup equipment.
Hope it goes well.

I guess part of the question would be... are you taking these just as guest photos? Or are you taking photos in lieu of a professional? (I know second+ weddings often don't get the attention as much as first weddings but it really shouldn't make it any less important)
If you are the "official photographer", take both.

If you are simply a guest taking extra photos just take the 35-105.
Still... you'll kick yourself for leaving either lens. The 18-55 just isn't that much extra to carry if you decide you really need/want it.
07-27-2018, 02:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Well, I would use the Pentax F-35-105 for outdoor captures and the other one for indoor ones! That's my opinion, as I consider that you need a wide lens indoors.
But, if you insist of using one of them I would prefer the Pentax DA18-55AL.
07-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Depends on the venue but for me I'd probably go with the 18-55.

07-27-2018, 04:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Assuming it's indoors: it's usually easy to get closer, but not wider. Take the 18-55.
07-27-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help here, I have dug out a hard carry case that will accommodate either and WILL be taking both.
My last 2 weddings, both yet more nieces, I took my Pentax-A 35-105mm and was pleased with the images and the nephew's before that I took my Helios-44M and Tamron SP 60-300mm and again was pleased with the images but had to carry 2 cases and all the gear made me feel awkward.
I am not likely to be expected to take any images that will be used as official ones but I do like to capture moments of the family that are not too posed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Both is best. Another case for the most versatile and fine DA 18-135mm DC WR!!
07-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you again to all. I used both and as the Hotel was quite dark as well as a grade 2 listed building was grateful for the flash.
It was also hot and very humid and it turns out has no aircon just windows and fans. I had to feel for my niece and her new husband, the stayed in their dress till the end and were sweltering.