Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 IIs wont flash sync faster than 1/40s in M mode

I just bought a second hand pentax K-5 IIs. Im having a problem using the built in flash. Im using a K lens, Manual mode.
The flash works fine at shutter speeds 1/40 or slower, but at faster speeds the resulting pictures are partially or fully out of
sync (black). Flash mode is set to flash ON. simple manual flash. Is the camera defective? What am I doing wrong? My istDS
doesn't behave like this under same settings and condtions, it syncs all the way to 1/180s.

07-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jco Quote
I just bought a second hand pentax K-5 IIs. Im having a problem using the built in flash. Im using a K lens, Manual mode.
The flash works fine at shutter speeds 1/40 or slower, but at faster speeds the resulting pictures are partially or fully out of
sync (black). Flash mode is set to flash ON. simple manual flash. Is the camera defective? What am I doing wrong? My istDS
doesn't behave like this under same settings and condtions, it syncs all the way to 1/180s.
Many old flashes have a sync speed of 1/60s AFAIK. Also, the DS supports TTL, whereas the K-5 does not, which is why the exposure could be more consistent there. Just a guess!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
jco

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Many old flashes have a sync speed of 1/60s AFAIK. Also, the DS supports TTL, whereas the K-5 does not, which is why the exposure could be more consistent there. Just a guess!
Im not talking about using an old flash with the k-5 IIs, im talking about using its own BUILT IN FLASH.
07-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Im not talking about using an old flash with the k-5 IIs, im talking about using its own BUILT IN FLASH.
Ah, missed that. Could still be related to the TTL, since on the K-5 your exposure is 100% manual. Maybe try a wider aperture?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
jco

Original Poster
And secondly, I should make this clear, this is not an exposure problem, its a SYNC problem.

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 05:03 PM ----------

Ah, missed that. Could still be related to the TTL, since on the K-5 your exposure is 100% manual. Maybe try a wider aperture?
when you use a "K" lens, there is no TTL exposure or sync, the flash is supposed to fire full power manual at the rated sync speed of 1/180s regardless of lens aperture setting.
07-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

And secondly, I should make this clear, this is not an exposure problem, its a SYNC problem.

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 05:03 PM ----------

when you use a "K" lens, there is no TTL exposure or sync, the flash is supposed to fire full power manual at the rated sync speed of 1/180s regardless of lens aperture setting.
I *believe* that on the DS it will use the TTL sensor in the camera to measure the light in real time. This was removed on future bodies in favor of the P-TTL preflash approach.

I'm afraid that where my expertise with shooting with flash + manual lenses ends. Perhaps someone else can chime in so we can determine if it's a settings issue or an actual problem with the camera.

Are the resulting images consistent?

Adam

07-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
jco

Original Poster
According to the manuals for both cameras, the K-5 IIs and the istDS should both operate the same way with flash using K lenses and manual flash.

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 05:18 PM ----------

I *believe* that on the DS it will use the TTL sensor in the camera to measure the light in real time. This was removed on future bodies in favor of the P-TTL preflash approach.

I'm afraid that where my expertise with shooting with flash + manual lenses ends. Perhaps someone else can chime in so we can determine if it's a settings issue or an actual problem with the camera.

Are the resulting images consistent?
This is incorrect, with K lenses, both the K-5 IIs and the istDS do NOT measure or meter the light output from the flash, instead, the flash just fires FULL OUTPUT MANUAL and the correct exposure
can only be obtained be setting the aperture value on the lens correctly. The key is that ANY shutter speed 1/180s or slower can be used. Im having problem from 1/45 to 1/180

07-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to the manuals for both cameras, the K-5 IIs and the istDS should both operate the same way with flash using K lenses and manual flash.

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 05:18 PM ----------

This is incorrect, with K lenses, both the K-5 IIs and the istDS do NOT measure or meter the light output from the flash, instead, the flash just fires FULL OUTPUT MANUAL and the correct exposure
can only be obtained be setting the aperture value on the lens correctly. The key is that ANY shutter speed 1/180s or slower can be used. Im having problem from 1/45 to 1/180
And this is ONLY in M mode? I don't have the K-5 does it have an X mode? I have often gotten frustrated with flash on my K-3 and just turned there to get the max shutter speed and manually adjusted everything else.

This isn't your problem but your settings for Tv steps can matter. Don't set it to 1/3 set it to 1/2 to get form 1/160 to 1/180. But again that's not your problem.
07-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Can you post one of the black or partially black images with full exif data intact? Maybe a dropbox link?
07-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
jco

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And this is ONLY in M mode? I don't have the K-5 does it have an X mode? I have often gotten frustrated with flash on my K-3 and just turned there to get the max shutter speed and manually adjusted everything else.

This isn't your problem but your settings for Tv steps can matter. Don't set it to 1/3 set it to 1/2 to get form 1/160 to 1/180. But again that's not your problem.
The K-5 IIs does have a X mode, where the speed is a constant 1/180s. I tried that too and the flash would not sync with a K lens, blank pictures on X mode.
07-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 IIs does have a X mode, where the speed is a constant 1/180s. I tried that too and the flash would not sync with a K lens, blank pictures on X mode.
OK - that's weird. Is this lens maybe painted or anodized? I'm clutching at straws here.
07-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
jco

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
OK - that's weird. Is this lens maybe painted or anodized? I'm clutching at straws here.
same lens syncs fine on an istDS

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 06:19 PM ----------

same lens syncs fine on an istDS
SMCK 28mm f3.5

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can you post one of the black or partially black images with full exif data intact? Maybe a dropbox link?
already boxed it up for return to seller. didn't save files

---------- Post added 07-27-2018 at 06:25 PM ----------

Does anyone here have extensive experience shooting with the on camera flash on the K-5iis with K lenses in M or X modes?
07-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot plenty with K-5IIs + M / K series lenses.

As the pop up flash fired at full strength (it does not support TTL, just P-TTL) I only used flash photography with AF540 FGZ or AF360 FGZ in manual or A mode.

If you want to use the onboard flash with proper exposure you need at least A series lenses which communicate aperture to the body. With no aperture communication. You are expecting sync performance from an incompatible system.

---------- Post added 07-27-18 at 05:10 PM ----------

Just for kicks - if you still had the camera - I would make sure the flash settings in body were not set for second curtain. I would also try to rule out a shutter issue by doing tests in Hi speed continuous shooting through a full range of shutter speeds.

If you have boxed it up and shipped it back it’s a moot point.
07-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
jco

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I shot plenty with K-5IIs + M / K series lenses.

As the pop up flash fired at full strength (it does not support TTL, just P-TTL) I only used flash photography with AF540 FGZ or AF360 FGZ in manual or A mode.

If you want to use the onboard flash with proper exposure you need at least A series lenses which communicate aperture to the body. With no aperture communication. You are expecting sync performance from an incompatible system.

---------- Post added 07-27-18 at 05:10 PM ----------

Just for kicks - if you still had the camera - I would make sure the flash settings in body were not set for second curtain. I would also try to rule out a shutter issue by doing tests in Hi speed continuous shooting through a full range of shutter speeds.

If you have boxed it up and shipped it back it’s a moot point.
are you saying you never used just the built in flash with k lenses at 1/180s?
07-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For what it's worth, I just tested my K-50 with the M 50mm. The exposures were bright and consistent in M mode with the flash on, in both trailing curtain and regular sync, at 1/180s. F11 was needed for proper exposure for a subject about 3m away.

No reason why the K-5 wouldn't behave the same way, so I'm thinking sending it back may be the right call.

Adam