Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I agree with the others. I started photography so I could take pictures of my daughter like my professional friend and found that that wasn’t what I enjoyed most. I got a macro lens and loved it. I never enjoyed sitting in the dirt or bugs, but now I’m constantly sitting in the dirt and actively searching out the bugs. Then I had birds nest in my yard and I was hooked on birds even as they ate a ton of my favorite dragonflies and damselflies.

I’ve been lucky my husband picks me up lenses for special occasions and that encourages me to try new techniques and “see” things in a new way. I just got the 15mm laowa macro and it’s hard to use, but I’m learning and I like it.

I find traveling really keeps me interested in photography. Really just for me and my family. I try to get a few artsy pictures wherever I go.

And lately I’ve joined a google + photo scavenger hunt group. They give a list of 7 words and 2 months to go shoot. Then judging and a people’s choice. Anyone can join during the open period, the next one will be the 24th scavenger hunt, I’ve done 3. I’d love more Pentax shooters. This one just ended today so the next probably won’t start for a month or 2.

07-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of my main motivations for many years has been participating in the competitions at my local camera club. Needing new images every month or two makes me get up off my sofa and get out there. I've also found that it's good to have a specific location in mind that you can get to fairly quickly where you can take advantage of good light or certain weather conditions. Maybe it's a lake or open fields not far from your house. Or maybe even a particular viewpoint of your city's skyline. It keeps you from having to search about for a vantage point when good things are happening. You didn't mention what your other hobbies are, but maybe you could combine them. If those hobbies involve other people, you could always photograph the other participants. I used to have about a 2 block walk from my parking garage to my office so I started carrying my camera with me and taking pics of whatever happened to strike my fancy that day. You'd be surprised what you might see when you start to really pay attention.
07-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #18

YouTube, 500px, and most importantly Pentax Forums give me the ideas and support. Bringing my camera with me almost everywhere gives me the in-moment inspiration. Motivation, I think, is a product of these factors.

---------- Post added 07-28-18 at 03:55 PM ----------

Also, participating in competitions is a driver; as is having a particularly enjoyable subject, in my case my daughter. When I was younger I competed in 4-H, a great way to get kids interested.
07-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Those are all really great tips -- and quite personal stories to boot! Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by Landak; 07-29-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Tone
07-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Landak Quote
At the moment, the weather outside is frightful -- it's raining, humid, and I live in the middle of a suburban street where it's hard (but not impossible) to find beauty in many things.
Try macro photography around & inside the home. Any subject with interesting texture, intersection of curves, contrasting colors, contrasting light make good subject for macro. It does not have to be flower. Intentionally ignore the subjects flowers, lakes, mountains etc. You may find many mundane objects that meet these criterion. Shoot wide open, low DOF blurs out the urban clutter.
07-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #21

Two suggestions: give yourself different assignments each week (b&w, macro, street, odd perspectives etc), or stick with one kind for a very long time and immerse yourself in it. And always bring your camera!
07-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #22
Forum Advisor

QuoteOriginally posted by Landak Quote
I know this sounds a bit stupid, but I really enjoy taking pictures...when I have time to take pictures. This is a hobby -- and I have least two others -- and it's really if anything quite a self indulgent one. How do you make the time to get better?

At the moment, the weather outside is frightful -- it's raining, humid, and I live in the middle of a suburban street where it's hard (but not impossible) to find beauty in many things.

This is a dumb question, but how do you motivate yourself to get out there, and get better?
I just spent a weeks pay on a new lens. I always find that is as good a motivator as anything to get my butt off the couch.
Seriously, though, when I'm in a photo funk I have to force it a bit.
My problem is that I just know that at the end of the day, I'm going to have to sit in front of a computer and process files, which is not something I especially like doing.

07-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #23

I've always been an outdoors/nature enthusiast but with going to gradschool for a number of years and then getting married/having a kid, I found myself not spending a lot of time outdoors hiking etc. So I figured if I spent money on a nice camera it would sort of motivate me a bit more to get outside to use it; so the photography hobby and my love of the outdoors and wildlife feed off each other so to speak.
07-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I look at photographs I admire and think: I want to do something even better than that.
07-29-2018, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #25

Find beauty in everyday things
07-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

My favorite suggestion made in this thread thus far is to take a camera along wherever one is going. But for me mostly it's been to experiment with techniques, lenses, subjects, processing, focal lengths, lighting . . . I get a lot of things to try from this site.
07-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
Forum Member

I do a bit of reading, but what motivates me most is when I'm personally not happy with a shot of mine...then i spent quite some thoughts on "what should i change?"...this is one of the nice things for me about digital- nowadays i can always check the exif afterwards...
07-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I have discovered another trick to get me motivated, I just go through all my old shots in lightroom. Along with discovering images I didn't like back then but now found some overlooked gems, I have also discovered some shots that make me think to myself that I can do better than that. I then make it my mission to get out there and recreate those shots, bit this time I'm armed with tons more knowledge then I had back then
07-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can, take the camera everywhere, I agree. The DA Limiteds are good for making the camera compact. A few other older lenses are fairly small - the 18-50 kit, F 35-70, F28/2.8, DA 35/2.4, even the M135/3/5. If you don't have the camera, you have to be aware of photos that you might take later. Just look at the world as if you had a camera, all of the time. Then you'll have a lot of photos to take later.
07-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Do your photos have an end use or purpose? Having an end goal is always a motivator for me, be it a small display on a public art wall, or a topic for a talk, or just a photo book for myself.

Do you combine photography with any other hobbies you enjoy? It can go hand in hand with many things, and the motivation for photography can come from another direction.

I make it a point to not carry a camera with me at all times. I find this eases the pressure of having to come back from every thing I do with some kind of photo and this freedom often brings a deluge of ideas. I do keep a notebook on hand to jot down photography ideas as they come to me, often including detailed lighting sketches or other plans. When I'm feeling "blah" about picking up the camera and I have free time, I take a look in my idea book and I usually find something to shoot.