Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

raw/fx button

Hi I want to be able to switch file formats with 1 button. I tried to set it up in the button customization menu. I hit jpg-raw take 2 pics but they are both dng. I switched back to raw-jpg but they are all dng.

Am I doing something wrong. Model: K3, 18-55mm lens. Although it shouldn't matter I'm trying to change file formats

thanks, 2 big summer events coming up, Caribana and Roger's cup tennis

via the raw/fx button.

07-28-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

What the Raw/FX button does depends on a couple of settings.

First choose your base format by pressing the INFO button and on the bottom row/second from left of that screen is FILE FORMAT. choose your base preference here.

Next go to the MENU under BUTTON CUSTOMIZATION. In RAW/Fx BUTTON you can choose CANCEL AFTER 1 SHOT or not .

Next highlight the three format changes, one at a time by pressing the down arrow and then the right arrow on each. you can select the format to change to. for example the first "JPEG" you can select the change to JPEG, RAW, RAW+. use the up/down arrow keys, make your selection and press OK. then move on to the next.

I have mine set to change from RAW to JPEG and JPEG to RAW and RAW+ to RAW+ and CANCEL AFTER 1 SHOT UNchecked. I usually have my base format as RAW, so the first press of the RAW/FX changes it to JPEG. It stays like that till I press RAW/FX again or turn the camera off.

A little long winded but I hope it's clear. )
07-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
thank you very much sir. I will have to go through what I had set up during the morning hours.
07-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
On my K-S2, I personally find it a bit more useful to switch between the directional buttons controlling a subset of autofocus points and their usual function. In my experience a large card and shooting with raw + jpeg gives you enough flexibility afterwards, but autofocus is something that you have to get right at the time, and something that (IMO) the camera sometimes struggles with a bit. Your mileage may vary, as they say!

07-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My KS2 is set to JPEG (default ). After shooting and preview it - you have a chance to save as RAW by pressing +- button. If you will not save to raw on first preview, you can not save it next preview.
07-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm just going to use the info screen with picture format highlighted and then turn the rear command dial. I only need jpeg for the 2 sessions. It's too much of a hassle to get this thing configured properly

thanks,
08-25-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
pxt

On K3 sometimes I had to click few times to changes format, because two SD cards messing here. For me is not issue, because I don't use it very often. I would buy the fastest SD cards and one configure for JPG and another for RAW. Then you don't have to use button any more.

08-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
the setting goes back to default if you play back your images aka it resets what you've configured. I'm done with the 2 sessions so all's well raw all the way