Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
color correction

I am getting ahead, I figured the field and depth using a phone app and I know how to keep my shots steady and I would like to thank you for your help and your advice.

I need another clue. I am attaching a color correction box for a lens I practice with. The lens is warmer than desired and I almost always color correct the same way.

what filter would correct for about the same amount of blue? I know that lens filters are the last resort in digital photography but I just want to practice before I load my first film.

many thanks!

Attached Images

07-28-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think proper white balance and custom color profiles is the way to go
07-28-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
pxt

Try find pick up white balance tool is available. It is get correct WB automaticly.
07-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
ddb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aberrator Quote
I think proper white balance and custom color profiles is the way to go
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
Try find pick up white balance tool is available. It is get correct WB automaticly.
thank you! I appreciate your help I need to figure out how to use an old 35mm film so I will not be able to use the usual stuff. I don't want to waste any film or be too disappointed with my first film role
so I am trying to figure out some basics before I move to the real film and I guess it will have to be a filter because i will have to stick to the same film role.

07-28-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are shooting color film (by the sounds of it) and your lens produces warm colors, you’ll want a cool (blue) filter. If it’s too blue, you’ll get a blue color cast over the entire photo. I haven’t done much with filters in recent years oitside of black and white film, so I can’t help you with actual filter designations.
07-28-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

If your goal is to scan film, you can mute warm colours later. If you are aiming for lab prints, some labs will correct colour before printing anyway.

Sometimes warm tones can work, or at least are not too distracting. I wouldn’t worry about using a filter for colour film just for lens correction, especially when you consider the light loss and quality loss that can be caused by a filter.
07-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
ddb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpipg Quote
If your goal is to scan film, you can mute warm colors later. If you are aiming for lab prints, some labs will correct color before printing anyway.

Sometimes warm tones can work, or at least are not too distracting. I wouldn’t worry about using a filter for a color film just for lens correction, especially when you consider the light loss and quality loss that can be caused by a filter.
Thank you.

I ordered a Hoya 80B blue just to see what it does, but its a shot in the dark I have no idea what it does to a film. I bet you are right. I'll scan my negatives first and go from there or pick a neutral lens. I never had a film camera it will be fun to try.

07-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Since you have the filter, see online for examples of what a blue filter does to black and white film. Could be something to try if you can accept the one stop loss from an 80B
07-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
ddb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpipg Quote
Since you have the filter, see online for examples of what a blue filter does to black and white film. Could be something to try if you can accept the one stop loss from an 80B
I'll do that, I think I can imagine what blue filter does to the red. could work well on cemetery shots and poppy fields I figure

Last edited by ddb; 07-28-2018 at 06:05 PM.
07-30-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

when I was working film/video, the filters we mostly used were ctbs (correct/change to blue) or ctos (correct to orange)...
08-25-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
pxt

Except screen configuration I would suggest find WB pick tool to use white color as reference.