Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess would be that the file got renamed. Other possibilities:

QuoteQuote:
  • Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
  • Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
  • Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
  • Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed
  • Check that your battery is fully charged
  • If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I always use a clean card and not one that has been used for photo files. It doesn't have to be really large in size - just large enough for the update. I think I remember somewhere of problems when trying to use a shared card with other residual files on it???
It isn't residual files on the SD card. It is residual files on your hard drive. Without seeing the extension, it could be the old one or fwdc228b.bin(1) or something like that
08-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys I have been busy , finally I got a chance to try to update my camera again, you were right I charged the battery and I solved the problem..
Have a good weekend...
08-04-2018, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaisas Quote
I always update firmware no problem with my k1,but this time I tried many times and nothing happened. I downloaded file from pentax.com and I opened the zip file and transfer to the my sd card bin. File ,pressing menu bottom while turning on the camera I do everything why suppose to be but camera doesn't let me uptade the firmware, anyone has some issue with the k1?
YES, exactly the same issue. Fully charged battery, extracted bin file only to the root of a formatted SD card and same results. EXCEPT, my K1 is now a K1 Mark II. Just back from Precision Camera. They removed an update that I had previously loaded and it now has V1. It had V1.4 when I sent it in. I wonder if that is the issue.

08-04-2018, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Use latest firmware for the proper camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sumner Quote
YES, exactly the same issue. Fully charged battery, extracted bin file only to the root of a formatted SD card and same results. EXCEPT, my K1 is now a K1 Mark II. Just back from Precision Camera. They removed an update that I had previously loaded and it now has V1. It had V1.4 when I sent it in. I wonder if that is the issue.
You now have a K-1 II not a K-1 so the firmware is different. I believe there is a version 1.02 for K-1 II on the Pentax website and you should use it if it is newer than the one in the camera.

RONC
08-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #21

Thanks, that answers my issue. I do have firmware version V1.02 so I should be good to go. I want to set up tethering and the instructions for the K-1 were to use the latest firmware which as you say I apparently have. I now hope there are no other differences to setting up tethering on a k-1 II.
Thank you for your reply Ron
08-04-2018, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sumner Quote
Thanks, that answers my issue. I do have firmware version V1.02 so I should be good to go. I want to set up tethering and the instructions for the K-1 were to use the latest firmware which as you say I apparently have. I now hope there are no other differences to setting up tethering on a k-1 II.
Thank you for your reply Ron
I don't think anything changed related to tethering. Supposedly and new version of Image Sync is coming which most likely will have a firmware change.

RONC

10-28-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #23

K1 won't update

I was having the same issue until I extracted the zip file and copied it directly from the folder that it unzipped in to the root directory of the SD card. The unzip operation placed it in a folder and apparently the camera could not recognize it there.
11-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Max the cat Quote
I was having the same issue until I extracted the zip file and copied it directly from the folder that it unzipped in to the root directory of the SD card. The unzip operation placed it in a folder and apparently the camera could not recognize it there.
I was facing the same issues with my KP, didn't know I had to extract the file from the zip file. I love this site......
01-29-2019, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was having trouble myself updating the new version until I read the comments ! I downloaded the file to my computer the opened it , copied the file then paste it to the SD card , then it worked for me . update 1.50 competed thanks for the info .

Alan