Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Pentax K70 won't use ISO lower than 200

Hi everyone, I have a 2 month old K70 that I really like, but I've discovered a weird glitch and want to check here to see if anyone ensemble has encountered this. The problem is - in any mode but full manual, anytime I let the ISO float, it will never, ever drop down to 100 ISO. I can force it to by setting the ISO to that, but otherwise it will only go to 200, even in bright sunlight or in front of a bright light. This seems connected to another problem, that in anything but full manual it seems to overexpose by about 1 stop. I verified this by checking in Lightroom, and if I use the auto seeing in Lightroom it almost always drops the exposure by 1 stop. I've tried resetting cavers settings to default, checked metering mode, exposure compensation etc. My camera store guy thinks it's a camera problem. I can work around it by full manual or exposure compensation, but that's not the point. Any suggestions? Anyone encounter this? Thanks!

07-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can usually define the range of ISO use in the auto settings. Perhaps yours is set at a minimum range of 200? I don't have a K-70 so I can't be more specific, but it's probably in the manual.
07-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

Check if you have dynamic range compensation set. In the ricoh GR it increase the minimum available ISO. I guess is the same for Pentax.
07-30-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

On my K-5 I hit the ISO button then I hit INFO. At the top there is the range for ISO and I push OK and use the front dial to turn it down to 100. The rear dial changes the highest range.
You can also change it by hitting MENU scroll right to page 3 ISO SENSITIVITY AUTO SETTING, with the four way buttons hit the right one then the right one again and use the up bottom and top to change the lowest ISO setting up or down- one push right allows you to change the highest ISO up or down. Again this is n the K-5 I honestly do not know if your menu is different.

07-30-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schitombite Quote
Check if you have dynamic range compensation set. In the ricoh GR it increase the minimum available ISO. I guess is the same for Pentax.
Either disable this setting or set highlight correction to "auto". Then it will get disabled below ISO 200, allowing you to use lower settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all, bit I've already tried all these... I have the ISO range set to 100-3200 yet it absolutely never goes below 200. The camera store guy tried as well. If I specify 100 ISO with no take them it stays there, but only then.
07-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't have the k-70, so it may be different from k-5, k-5/II or k-3; it minimum iso setting seem to be affected by the high-iso NR and/or slow speed NR settings. If you disable all NR settings, my k-5II can go as low as iso 80.

07-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In KS2 if you set the range ISO 100-200 is the lowest seen on upper part of your LCD by sliding the rear e dial to select the range. If you press the controller arrow down this will give you a fixed ISO 100 as the lowest. Use up/down arrow keys to select ISO. I think K70 and KS2 are similar in selecting ISO ( range or fixed value ). In your setting 100-3200 this is a range setting and not a fixed setting and the camera select the ISO fit to the situation from range of 100-3200.
07-30-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #9

My K-70 will often choose ISO 200 even though auto ISO is set to a minimum of 100. But in AV mode if I choose a reasonably wide aperture, like f3.2, and aim the camera at something very bright outside, it will choose ISO 100.
It seems to be programmed to default to 200 unless it really has no other choice.
07-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I tap the ISO button on my K-70 I get two levels of ISO indicators. The top one is automatic and depends on your program choice (AV, TV, etc.). The lower one, for me, can be dropped to 100 using the rear wheel as long as your program choice allows that.
07-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #11

If you've reset everything and it is still overexposing then it's either a camera body problem or a lens problem. Do you have more than one lens? If you do, does it have the same problem on any lens? If you don't have another lens try going to the camera store and take some shots with their lens. If you still have the issue then it's the body. They should be able to repair or replace the body since it's only 2 months old.
07-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the great ideas. Great news! When I turned off the dynamic range compensation entirely for both over and under, the problem went away, at last in terms of going to 100 ISO in bright light. Later tonight I'll go try it outside at the wetlands where I usually have the over exposure problem with flying bird / sky shots. I really appreciate the help, and yes, I have tried all the ISO range settings before, to no avail, and the problem occurred with both lenses. But the dynamic range idea seems to have done the trick! Stay tuned...
08-01-2018, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #13

Original Poster
Here's a picture of a nice big hawk I took the other night, after I fixed the dynamic range compensation issue. Before this would have been definitely overexposed... birds against the sky were always over exposed by at least one stop. Now it's perfect. Thanks again everyone!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
08-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pknot Quote
When I tap the ISO button on my K-70 I get two levels of ISO indicators. The top one is automatic and depends on your program choice (AV, TV, etc.). The lower one, for me, can be dropped to 100 using the rear wheel as long as your program choice allows that.
Exactly, My K-S2 and my KP and my K-5 IIs work this way.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 06:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chaplain143 Quote
Here's a picture of a nice big hawk I took the other night, after I fixed the dynamic range compensation issue. Before this would have been definitely overexposed... birds against the sky were always over exposed by at least one stop. Now it's perfect. Thanks again everyone!
I find this interesting. I leave my DR compensation on "auto" for both shadow detail and highlight detail. Yet, I can select ISO 100 is I wish in "P" mode, etc. but then I almost never "float" the ISO. I use the manual setting selection for ISO operation as Pknot does and then select whichever ISO I deem appropriate. For me, a bird against the sky is more apt to turn out underexposed for the subject in any AE mode, because the meter will take the much brighter sky into consideration. Knowing this in advance, if maintaining an AE mode, I then simply use my exposure comp button to increase exposure.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.
08-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #15
Forum Member

You can employ ISO down to 100 much easier by going through manual iso. Upon being in capture mode with stats displayed you want to press the ISO button and highlight over manual then use your rear dial to key down to 100. I like Manual better in general because I can bend the features to the scene, lighting and effect I am trying to get. I hope this helps! I just got my Pentax k70 4 days ago and I am obsessed.