Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rubber grip has become loose. how to fix?

Hi

So now my old lens has the focus rubber grip loose. There is no "original" new parts.

I'd tried putting the rubber on boiling water for 10min. No luck.

Now I'm going to try using double side tape but I'll need to "cut" the rubber.

Any sugestion to get the rubber come back to it's original state or to reduce the "looseness" to avoid the extreme "cut" solution?

07-30-2018, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loose Zoom Ring or Focus Ring Repair | Band.it

No experience with them.
07-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Loose, how? Like it is sagging, or it just moves freely when you try to rotate it?
07-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Loose, how? Like it is sagging, or it just moves freely when you try to rotate it?
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

Take a look at the attached image.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Get a good contact cement like Pliobond (highly recommended) and glue the band down. If it has stretched to the point that it can't be glued down without slack the recommended procedure is cut out a small section between the diamonds.

If there is a camera repair person local to you that has been in business for a decade or so he or she will probably have a bin full of spare rings and likely to have one that fits.
07-30-2018, 09:10 PM - 3 Likes   #6

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Remove it, toss it..cut a proper length & width of velcro (before tossing, use it to measure), that has sticky backing already. Your choice..either the "fuzzy", or the "hooks".

Like duct tape..velcro has many uses...
07-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. pick up a junk lens with a serviceable rubber grip and use that

2. cut the rubber and remove a strip to eliminate the slack. Use a piece of strong paper eg parcel wrap ~1" wide as backing under the cut. Glue the edges onto the paper and together with shoe repair like shoe goo, freesole etc (actually the stickiest glue I have found for this sort of rubber - specifically lens hoods - is called shoe glu its made in USA comes in a yellow tube, marketed in UK by Gluelines ltd).

07-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. pick up a junk lens with a serviceable rubber grip and use that

2. cut the rubber and remove a strip to eliminate the slack. Use a piece of strong paper eg parcel wrap ~1" wide as backing under the cut. Glue the edges onto the paper and together with shoe repair like shoe goo, freesole etc (actually the stickiest glue I have found for this sort of rubber - specifically lens hoods - is called shoe glu its made in USA comes in a yellow tube, marketed in UK by Gluelines ltd).
07-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
1. pick up a junk lens with a serviceable rubber grip and use that .
Last year I got a Asahi 6x7 to K Adapter with Nikon mount. I have to replace the Nikon mount from the K mount from a cheap Pentax-A 35-80mm f4-5.6. Fortune! I did not trash the remaining lens.

Today I remember having that junk lens and take the wide rubber form the 35-80mm and it perfect fit on the old Auto Yashinon DS-M 55mm f1.2 Tamioka, Wow!

P.D.

This method Do not shrink the rubber, at least in this particular model I tried about 10 cilcles times: I-> boiling water II-> cold water III-> 5 seconds in the microwave.

Next thing I never try was to pass the rubber on a hot surfase (hair iron?) but I considered it potencial destructive and I want to keep the original rubber.

You guys, thank you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
Remove it, toss it..cut a proper length & width of velcro (before tossing, use it to measure), that has sticky backing already. Your choice..either the "fuzzy", or the "hooks".

Like duct tape..velcro has many uses...
That's actually a really clever idea and I may have to try this on my Tamron 28-75 that has a loose rubber zoom ring grip. Might actually make the lens more comfortable to hold, too.
08-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #11

You can cut the grip to remove slack. But cut along the diagonals to get a finish that will look seamless. Then use suggestions with either glue (I like silicon, because you can remove if necessary, or double sided tape. (one strip opposite the cut side of the lens to align the grip, then additional a little at a time. Then finally, as much as you need to stick the cut ends.

If using glue, make sure you have lens and mount caps to stop from getting glue on the lens elements. And don't use too much glue.
08-02-2018, 04:45 AM   #12
ddb

Photos: Albums
I stay away from rubber on cameras and lenses I tend to peel it off whenever possible and replace it with my own solution. to glue rubber when i have to, I use flexible CA glue, used to patch speakers membrane or fishing rod guides or post-surgery skin. krazy glue is too stiff IMO.
08-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #13
Unregistered User

This: https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-strips-phones-cameras-knives/dp/B00ATH0KEA?tag=pentaxforums-20&

There are various products like this but I have found this one to be grippy yet not rough on the fingers. It looks stock, holds firmly, but can be removed without damage.
08-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
This: https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-strips-phones-cameras-knives/dp/B00ATH0KEA?tag=pentaxforums-20&

There are various products like this but I have found this one to be grippy yet not rough on the fingers. It looks stock, holds firmly, but can be removed without damage.
What size are the strips?
08-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
Unregistered User

2" x 8 1/2" (50mm x 213mm), pack of 3 (you can also get a pack of 6)

It is also the perfect material for smooth-surfaced point & shoots like Sonys and Panasonics.