Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Changing aspect ratio on KP - composition

Hi all,

I can change the aspect ratio to 1:1 (square format) in playback mode. Does anyone know how I can change the aspect ratio when composing an image? I like to take 1:1 images - square format - on occasion, and need some help in setting this to one of the User Modes in the KP. Is it possible? I can't find how to do it.

08-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think so. Only the K1 has this, since it actually crops the image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not aware that you can do that - I have a couple of my m43 cameras permanently set to 1:1 (for stills at least), but have never found a setting on the Kp which forces it.
08-03-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you just imagine the squarish lines in the viewfinder as a box, (It looks almost square,) you can use that to visualize your shot a bit better, and if you can zoom out to fill only that area of the viewfinder, When you keep the framing the same, as you zoom in you should have no issues cropping at 1/1 ratio in postprocessing.

08-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you just imagine the squarish lines in the viewfinder as a box, (It looks almost square,) you can use that to visualize your shot a bit better, and if you can zoom out to fill only that area of the viewfinder, When you keep the framing the same, as you zoom in you should have no issues cropping at 1/1 ratio in postprocessing.
+1, and perhaps turn on Grid Display to help visualize the square. Another method would be to apply an LCD protector film and mark vertical lines on it, representing a square.
08-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Masking tape or some other blocking on the LCD and use Live View?
Many moons ago I added some lines to the focusing screen in my LX, so I could see TV ratio, for some slide shows I was shooting that would be copied to video. That was fussy in 35mm, would be really tough on APSc. I think I did it with a marker of some kind,
08-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

I'll play around with the grid lines a bit. I do crop somtimes to 1:1 in PP so it's not the end of the world, but would have been nice to have. Imagine if there was a firmware update with this facility... sigh... another wish for the Pentax Christmas stocking!