Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That's a good price for the kit. I also recommend the 18-135 when you can scrape together the Euros for one. It's a true pleasure to use, and had no problem keeping up with the huskies at the park, even on the K5. It's my go-to travel and walkaround lens, perfect for events like the dog park.

Husky Huddle November 2014 | Flickr
(ours are the big boys and "fluffy" red girl)
What a beautiful group of Huskies!! And having a "snow-day" to boot - perfect!!

08-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can also recommend the 18-135 - a really good, major step up from a "kit" lens. Another good choice if you're into longer lenses is the DA 55-300 WR lens.
08-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are on a tight budget, have a look for the (out of production) Sigma 18-125. On German eBay it occurs about 2-3 times a month, and the last auctions ended at about € 90-120. I am quite satisfied with it, and people comparing it with the Pentax 18-135 found the difference in IQ in real life situations to be minimal or not existent.

There are also reviews in our lens data base
08-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A factory-fresh K-5 will have original firmware. Pentax made some attempts to fix the AF problems with firmware, so upgrading that should help. The biggest problems were poor focus in incandescent light.

The 18-55 is light and small but I'm glad I bought the 18-135 a few months ago. It's not very expensive used.

08-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
I have a Stitz TP-3U, a HEAVY one. I suffer to carry it around, but i don't know how to pick a tripod. This is just like a whole bunch of iron that has to be stable because of gravity, nothing else. Actually, i carry a lot of weight when i go shooting, idk if this is normal.
I'm gonna hazard a guess that it's pretty normal. And that's pretty much the premise behind a "good" tripod. Stability. We just find it in different ways, just depends on your tolerance level of what you want to haul around with you. As I've gotten older, my tolerance/ability for bringing everything, including the kitchen sink, has waned. I'm becoming more selective, more of a minimalist. (Minimalist is a relative term when in comes to LBA of course, ha!). I've invested in better/ more ergonomic strap systems, carbon fiber tripods, and I tend to bring only one or two lenses with me when I'm out shooting. And an additional plus is I spend less time fussing with gear, and more time chasing light and shooting.
08-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had troubles with the 18-135, but a couple of the Husky Huddles were really cold, and I had to keep swapping batteries, warming one up in a pass-through pocket meant to keep electronics warmish, under the insulation. I think the coldest one was about 10F, the dogs were in heaven. So were we, Frozen = Clean.
It's tough to take them now, our Malamute has had two knee surgeries and while he's very fit and mobile I don't want to tempt fate.
08-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #22

Original Poster
Well, i got the camera and seems to be working fine. Also, thanks to it, i've been able to troubleshoot a faulty CPL filter that was removing detail to my pictures, until the point it couldn't focus properly. Since the K-m was unable to catch that fine detail, i didn't care, but now i do :P

Attached Images

08-19-2018, 04:41 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok

" your mission, should you choose to accept it … "

have fun

get familiar with your equipment

keep us posted on your progress

post photos

[ remember 10 posts in August gets you a chance to compete for a spot in the raffle when we reach 45,000 posts, 180 posts gets you into the raffle ]

get the K 1 or K 1 II for free and make the K 5 your " back up " camera
08-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, i got the camera and seems to be working fine. Also, thanks to it, i've been able to troubleshoot a faulty CPL filter that was removing detail to my pictures, until the point it couldn't focus properly. Since the K-m was unable to catch that fine detail, i didn't care, but now i do :P
Wow, you can nearly read the label on the equipment box.
08-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That filter had quite a negative impact on photo quality!! What lens were you shooting with?
08-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Wow, you can nearly read the label on the equipment box.
Yay! I was pretty excited about it. Today i seen that the crane was facing to the other side and gave it a try, and i could actually guess the tools needed for some bolts up there. I'm a car mechanic so i'm used to guess it, but sure not at 100-150 meters away!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
That filter had quite a negative impact on photo quality!! What lens were you shooting with?
It's an SMC Pentax-DA L 1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED (entry level as far as i understand) that i thought was borked or just low quality until i removed the CPL filter :P

I plan to do something with it. BTW i broke and thrown away the glass to avoid temptations, and i may end doing something like a bokeh mask. I need to figure what shapes i'd like and so on but at least i have a 52mm ring ready to go.
However, tomorrow i start recieving material for my macro assist led ring so i'm surrely getting busy with DIY crafting

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 06:07 PM ----------

I've been playing around with Bulb mode, and i'm curious about what is the time limit, let's say on a constant DC supply? I mean, i don't feel really confortable doing more than 30 secs as it's what Pentax limited the camera by default, but idk if it has a safety limit or it will just plain damage the sensor if i do a so much long exposure? I plan to learn with this camera at low light situations, since i'm seeing its potential and i'm amazed with it.

Also another doubt, in Live View, i find that with an AF lens, the image will zoom in wherever the focus point is set. There's a way to do this on manual lenses? It would be really useful.
08-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the astrophotraphy threads here, they'll let you know how to do LONG exposures!
08-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's as good an example as any as to what filters can do to image quality. Thank you for posting. Now I just need to summon up the courage to remove the filters!
08-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's as good an example as any as to what filters can do to image quality. Thank you for posting. Now I just need to summon up the courage to remove the filters!
If you remove any filter, grab the lens correctly.

Someone has a Tamron 70-210 barrel lying around? Nah, i broke that one a time ago, but it's still usable. I broke the tabs that hold a lens group to the focus barrel, so i guess i can kind of repair it, so it just doesn't unscrew and fall. It's a shame i did that mistake, but s*** happens i guess. Also i have to look for a pair of batteries and an 18-55 lens to share with my gf, who has got my proud K-m (and she has like 10x more battery life than me, with a 6600mAh custom battery pack versus a worn out original battery that i got with my pentax. Hell, she has even powerbank support! I'd do that with my K-5 but i prefer to go inside the usual way to go, i like a small and light body, and that wasn't clearly the case with a +1Kg modified K-m)
08-22-2018, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
Well, first take on it turned out very well :P amazed at how a 10 minutes exposure wide open (601" f/2.5 ISO100) didn't end with a white frame. It was colder than i thought so i didn't really stay there for a lot of time, but in some point i'd try something around 30/60 minutes. And another 30/60 minutes for noise reduction lol.