Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #1

Pentax K5 on its way to my home

Hello

I invested on a boxed K5 body, and while I heard that i may have some weird issues with the AF system, i wanted to know what i should look in first instance to see if the camera may have some defect. As it comes only the body as far as i know, i will use my good known lenses, a modern, original 50-200 zoom, a 28mm tamron prime and a 50mm pentax prime, both manual primes. It will be easy to have high light and low light scenarios where i live, with complex planes, and i have a black and white printer if i should print a chart or whatever. I paid 250 euro for it and i want to be a long time inversion, as my camera needs aren't stratospheric and this one can perfom very good until it dies, thing i want to be as later as possible.

The camera is supposed to arrive as soon as 17th August or as late as 30th August, so i'll have this time to collect answers and test them on the camera. And i'm not likely to test water seal, first because i sold my 18-55 WR long time ago and because if the seals are failed, rip camera. I will just treat it the same way i did with my K-m.

Thank you!

08-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would advise you spend more money

[ of course ]

and get the ebook

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com
08-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Hello

I invested on a boxed K5 body, and while I heard that i may have some weird issues with the AF system, i wanted to know what i should look in first instance to see if the camera may have some defect. As it comes only the body as far as i know, i will use my good known lenses, a modern, original 50-200 zoom, a 28mm tamron prime and a 50mm pentax prime, both manual primes. It will be easy to have high light and low light scenarios where i live, with complex planes, and i have a black and white printer if i should print a chart or whatever. I paid 250 euro for it and i want to be a long time inversion, as my camera needs aren't stratospheric and this one can perfom very good until it dies, thing i want to be as later as possible.

The camera is supposed to arrive as soon as 17th August or as late as 30th August, so i'll have this time to collect answers and test them on the camera. And i'm not likely to test water seal, first because i sold my 18-55 WR long time ago and because if the seals are failed, rip camera. I will just treat it the same way i did with my K-m.

Thank you!
Congratulations on your recent purchase. If all the buttons and functions appear to function correctly, then get out and shoot - one you get the camera. If anything is amiss, feel free to ask.
08-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you need them

Pentax K-5 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

08-13-2018, 05:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I came across that exact thread a time ago, but while i didn't had that cameras nor i fully understand what really are that ebooks, i didn't bother too much. A little brief?

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 05:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Congratulations on your recent purchase. If all the buttons and functions appear to function correctly, then get out and shoot - one you get the camera. If anything is amiss, feel free to ask.
Nice, i will try it, but i was looking for general things to look at. I've looked around and seemed that early units had hot pixels in video, apart from random AF behavior. The AF is the thing that can bother me most, not because of failing to lock down, but seemed that was prone to back/front focus issues. I never tested a camera in a "fast" way to be able to claim the seller something. By the way, if the performance is somewhat similar to my current k-m, i will be happy, seems to be a very good unit despite having diassembled it myself like 4-5 times and suffered infinite bumps. It is really hard, even if it's made of plastic.
08-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The only focus issue I'm aware of with the K-5 is that it can be a bit hit'n'miss in dim incandescent lighting. This is a problem with all K-5s as far as I know, so there's no good reason to test for it other than to learn what conditions might cause problems. I've never been bothered by it as it's not a condition I encounter very often.

I haven't heard of any video issues, but I don't shoot video so wouldn't really know.

As for build quality it's pretty much built like a tank. My trusty K-5 has been lugged up mountains, down rivers, and across deserts with no issues whatsoever.
08-13-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I had two of the K-5. It is capable of excellent images. The AF is normal for its time and can do a nice job. I have had a lot of success shooting stills and action with Pentax.

08-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with your purchase - I've not owned a K-5 so can't really comment other than generics. BUT, I do know it's a very capable camera and you should get a lot of great photos out of it. Enjoy!
08-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on getting a very fine camera. Hopefully, it is lightly used and in excellent condition. I have the latest Pentax, the KP- but I still have and use my K-5 IIs, and sometimes also my original K-5. All are pro-oriented designed, metal-bodied cameras of magnesium alloy. The K-5's have wonderful controls and layout for making fast adjustments on the fly. I bought mine new at nearly half the original price, as discontinued models when the K-3 came out. The K-5 was shown to be slightly better in low light, and remains even now as a very good performer in low light where you have to boost the ISO sensitivity.

If the camera does not come with its owner's manual, by all means go to a Pentax website and download one. As to your lenses, they will have to do for now, and your Pentax 50mm will be good for low light shots. But I recommend saving your money to get a good zoom lens. The DA 18-135mm DC WR is a good choice. Very good build, WR means weather resistant like the camera body which is not so unless a WR lens is attached, and its DC AF motor provides excellent fast, accurate, quiet AF. It is affordable and compact for its great zoom range, and can provide fine image quality, including good closeups.

I can tell you from experience, this lens has one of the very fastest, most accurate AF among all Pentax lenses. It performs amazingly well on the K-5. AF in dimmer light will be slower with virtually any camera, but the K-5 has a reputation for being less satisfactory than others here. But with this lens on the K-5 I've found no meaningful AF issues at all, even in dimmer light.

If you get back with us after getting it, and give a report as to its condition, etc. I will be happy to recommend settings to use for best results.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.
08-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, the K5 is a good camera. It doesn't perform as well as my K3II - but that is several generations newer. It's built to last and still a great performer, and the Sony 16MP sensor is fantastic. I carry it again now, with the 300mm telephoto in the field, and once you get used to how the focus points work, it's still brilliant.

08-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congratulations on getting a very fine camera. Hopefully, it is lightly used and in excellent condition. I have the latest Pentax, the KP- but I still have and use my K-5 IIs, and sometimes also my original K-5. All are pro-oriented designed, metal-bodied cameras of magnesium alloy. The K-5's have wonderful controls and layout for making fast adjustments on the fly. I bought mine new at nearly half the original price, as discontinued models when the K-3 came out. The K-5 was shown to be slightly better in low light, and remains even now as a very good performer in low light where you have to boost the ISO sensitivity.

If the camera does not come with its owner's manual, by all means go to a Pentax website and download one. As to your lenses, they will have to do for now, and your Pentax 50mm will be good for low light shots. But I recommend saving your money to get a good zoom lens. The DA 18-135mm DC WR is a good choice. Very good build, WR means weather resistant like the camera body which is not so unless a WR lens is attached, and its DC AF motor provides excellent fast, accurate, quiet AF. It is affordable and compact for its great zoom range, and can provide fine image quality, including good closeups.

I can tell you from experience, this lens has one of the very fastest, most accurate AF among all Pentax lenses. It performs amazingly well on the K-5. AF in dimmer light will be slower with virtually any camera, but the K-5 has a reputation for being less satisfactory than others here. But with this lens on the K-5 I've found no meaningful AF issues at all, even in dimmer light.

If you get back with us after getting it, and give a report as to its condition, etc. I will be happy to recommend settings to use for best results.
There's no day i don't remember my 18-55 WR. If i knew better, i'd rather have wait to have the money i paid for the 50-200 i have now, because i miss that 18-55 so much. I'll end buying one, even if it's not WR, it had an outstanding sharpness for a kit lens. At least it was sharp on my K-m

Seems that the camera is coming instead by 48h international shipping, so i might be playing with it very soon :P

As for the manual, this is one of the photos of the listing, seems to be there. pretty much all the things included with the box except the lens (sadly :P) Also, it's a THICC manual.

And this is the listing: Pentax K-5 DSLR camera | eBay
I got it at 251€ with the 48h shipping and no customs as it comes from Italy. Im VERY happy!!!!!
08-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good price for the kit. I also recommend the 18-135 when you can scrape together the Euros for one. It's a true pleasure to use, and had no problem keeping up with the huskies at the park, even on the K5. It's my go-to travel and walkaround lens, perfect for events like the dog park.

Husky Huddle November 2014 | Flickr
(ours are the big boys and "fluffy" red girl)
08-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K-5 an the K-5IIs. Never had an AF issue with either of them. However, if you're looking for sharpest focus, and this is true for every camera IMHO, get a good tripod, and manually focus using the Live View.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com
And I agree, get the Ebook too. Very useful in just learning the camera.
08-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That's a good price for the kit. I also recommend the 18-135 when you can scrape together the Euros for one. It's a true pleasure to use, and had no problem keeping up with the huskies at the park, even on the K5. It's my go-to travel and walkaround lens, perfect for events like the dog park.

Husky Huddle November 2014 | Flickr
(ours are the big boys and "fluffy" red girl)
Ooooooow♥ cuties! I may look for a versatile lens like that. I like the manuals i have, but one sometimes just wants to focus on the thing and let the camera work itself, like on drift where i'm yet looking for good shots as the last go before august got cancelled and the Tamron i had before was defective and the sharpness was a little bit off and the focus mechanism was like seized, even for the motor. It got accepted in warranty so i don't care much.

This is what i like to shot Flashbang Photography on Instagram: ?"The best cars are not plenty of power, they are plenty of fun" Black Miata owner: @nelsonbiker Green Miata owner: @ivan_shiftshots?

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 02:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I have both the K-5 an the K-5IIs. Never had an AF issue with either of them. However, if you're looking for sharpest focus, and this is true for every camera IMHO, get a good tripod, and manually focus using the Live View.

And I agree, get the Ebook too. Very useful in just learning the camera.

I have a Stitz TP-3U, a HEAVY one. I suffer to carry it around, but i don't know how to pick a tripod. This is just like a whole bunch of iron that has to be stable because of gravity, nothing else. Actually, i carry a lot of weight when i go shooting, idk if this is normal.
08-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
I came across that exact thread a time ago, but while i didn't had that cameras nor i fully understand what really are that ebooks, i didn't bother too much. A little brief?

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 05:20 AM ----------

Nice, i will try it, but i was looking for general things to look at. I've looked around and seemed that early units had hot pixels in video, apart from random AF behavior. The AF is the thing that can bother me most, not because of failing to lock down, but seemed that was prone to back/front focus issues. I never tested a camera in a "fast" way to be able to claim the seller something. By the way, if the performance is somewhat similar to my current k-m, i will be happy, seems to be a very good unit despite having diassembled it myself like 4-5 times and suffered infinite bumps. It is really hard, even if it's made of plastic.
I've had absolutely no issues with mine. I can't afford a newer camera so mine is all I use. I have not had any problems with focussing, except when trying to use the camera in very low light situations.
All I can suggest, as before, is that you get out and shoot, once you have it.