Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Start with a simple kit, whichever system you go with. I would start with one general purpose zoom, and one or two fast lenses. In Pentax, I’d start with the 16-85 for the zoom. For the fast prime, the 31 is great if you can afford it. I usually prefer the 43, but that’s not usual. The 55/1.4 is a great choice if you tend to have enough distance between you and your subject. 16-85, 31 and 55 would get you well started. Add the 15 at some point if you feel the need to have your mind controlled (a Pentax joke. Maybe not really a joke though. The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com)

08-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've thought about Fuji. They look great and work well, but they're very expensive.
Olympus 4/3 systems are compelling for size and performance, and with an EVF you kind of get the best of both worlds. I've seen some very good setups for macro and field work at half the mass of my system.

That said, you're here on the Pentax forum, so expect people to share:
Terry Miesle?s albums | Flickr

And yes, the Limited series of lenses is outstanding. The pancake primes are favorites of mine, they're just fun. Plus, image quality is fantastic. In the Nicholas Conservatory series in my albums, all pictures are with the DA21mm and DA40mm if you want to get some ideas of what they can do.
08-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Bottom line, if you buy it, and you aren't a sports photographer, you'll probably like Pentax gear. But there aren't a lot of really bad cameras from major brands, so you can probably say that of every camera.
08-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Lots of good suggestions above. One lens that was not mentioned is the DAL 34 2.4 small, light, and inexpensive but is a nice piece of glass none the less. Regarding the KP. I think it's a great choice, especially since you've been looking at a mirrorless body. The KP has an electronic shutter option for live view shooting (using the rear LCD) that is absolutely silent, although it does turn of the IBIS. I use quite often and am still surprised about how quite it is. Many of the Pentax zooms and a few of the primes are water resistant and it a nice feature to have going long with the body. I don't really shoot in the rain but have been caught out in the rain a lot, and it's one big thing to not have to worry about.
Oddly, that lens despite meeting the criteria for DAL is in fact a DA lens. It has a plastic mount, doesn't come with a hood, and lacks quick shift, but pentax calls it a DA. I forgot to mention it, but I do prefer the fa 35 f2 over it in my own testing, but I never owned both at the same time, so memory and images that aren't identical are my guide.

08-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bottom line, if you buy it, and you aren't a sports photographer, you'll probably like Pentax gear. But there aren't a lot of really bad cameras from major brands, so you can probably say that of every camera.
Truer words are rarely spoken.
08-14-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Start with a simple kit, whichever system you go with. I would start with one general purpose zoom, and one or two fast lenses. In Pentax, I’d start with the 16-85 for the zoom. For the fast prime, the 31 is great if you can afford it. I usually prefer the 43, but that’s not usual. The 55/1.4 is a great choice if you tend to have enough distance between you and your subject. 16-85, 31 and 55 would get you well started. Add the 15 at some point if you feel the need to have your mind controlled (a Pentax joke. Maybe not really a joke though. The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com)
This is also good advice. I like the 18-135 as a walkabout, it depends on how telephoto vs wide you prefer.
08-14-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 16-85mm is very good and versatile, but it is heavier, larger, and costs more. It is also not as overall versatile as the much more compact DA 18-135mm, which is great for someone just starting in a very unfamiliar format, to discover what various FLs will be like in actual practice. It also has a deserved reputation for its AF speed and accuracy, and I've not heard complaints of bad copies.

Of course, a 15mm Limited or DA 12-24mm could come later.

If wanting to go really high-end, there's the very compact, excellent DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 DC WR Limited, which makes a great combo with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 (WR SDM) tele zoom. It is very compact for what it is. Great imaging quality. In this case, the Pentax lens actually weighs considerably less than the Fuji 50-140mm f/2.8 counterpart, and costs less. Great for low light use with the KP. I have both of the above setups, and use either as needed. But this is talking a lot of money, very likely beyond the budget.

I wonder if the post has been located of the other Canadian who bought a new KP for a ridiculously low price- around
$600, I believe!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-14-2018 at 11:48 AM.
08-14-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The used price of screw drive converted da* 50-135 lenses is very reasonable.
08-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found that post by Bobmaxja, who lives in Quebec, in the DSLR section -What do I lose getting a K-70 over a KP- he did buy his KP through Amazon Canada. It was $802 CD which is about $600 USD, as he reported!
08-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My photography studio instructors advice was "Find the lens you love, buy the camera it goes not. I know, as a novice, you have no idea which lens you love.

IN the Pentax World these are the lenses that make your purchase worthwhile.

The FA 31 1.8 ltd. Excellent landscape lens, but gives you the opportunity for narrow DoF with it's 1.8 Aperture. Lightweight, compact, and better IQ than some Art lenses twice it's size.

DA* 60-250, excellent sharpness corner to corner. Unmatched both in range and IQ, At least one lens designer bought into Pentax just for this lens.

FA 85 1.4. A fantastic portrait lens. And the crazy thing is it's about to be updated to an even better version.

77 ltd. Another portrait lens, but this one quite small and easy to carry.

The DA 18-135 and DA 16-85 walk around lenses. Others make similar type lenses, Pentax's are better. Water Resistant and dustproof.

More lenses designed to be APS_c (and therefore lighter and often better IQ than FF lenses on APS-c) than any other manufacturer.

And last but not least, 6 million lenses manufactured, many of which you can pick up for cheap at garages sales etc and have agreed time messing around with. There's a certain satisfaction to getting great images with old glass.

The disadvantages, fewer truly modern lenses, (more chance you won't find what you want), fewer specialty lenses starting with tilt shift and continuing on into almost every area of specialization

Bottom line, choosing Pentax will be fine for your first 5 years and 20,000 pictures. At some point you may want some feature Pentax doesn't really support. By then you'll be ready for new gear no matter what you buy. Entry level cameras are called entry level for a reason. Pentax gives you more in the entry level systems, but less choice if you become a pro.
08-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Oddly, that lens despite meeting the criteria for DAL is in fact a DA lens. It has a plastic mount, doesn't come with a hood, and lacks quick shift, but pentax calls it a DA. I forgot to mention it, but I do prefer the fa 35 f2 over it in my own testing, but I never owned both at the same time, so memory and images that aren't identical are my guide.
The 35 f2 is on my buy list but not sure when that will be.
08-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your advice's.

I have bought the Pentax KP. The better balance and the good grip convinced me. The Fuji XT100 was nice but a bit too small and unbalanced when hooked on good & heavy quality lens.

However, i took the 55-300 zoom and later realized that there are 2 version of it. There was only the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database in the store and it is the one i bought. But i read through your comments again this morning and saw that the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database was probably a better choice.

Should i return my 55-300 F4-5.8 and buy the 55-300 PLM online? The price difference is not that big (less than 150-200 CA$).

Finally I'm looking for the 20-40mm to complete my setup. It was not available at the camera store, so i will have to buy it online. Do you trust Amazon for this kind of purchase? Or do you prefer to buy on some dedicated photography website?

Cameracanada.com seems to have some nice deals: Camera Canada :: Pentax :: 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited HD DA DC WR Lens SIL

Last edited by Tanguy; 08-18-2018 at 09:08 AM.
08-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" I'm looking for an affordable zoom for landscape photography (i.e. 55-230 mm for example) "

The best for landscape lens is HD pentax 16-85 mm f3.5-5.6 because it is wide angle of view than 55-300.
Buying in Canada has two taxes while in new York ( B&H ) import tax only, shipping not counted. Exchange rate to a US $ is the best to consider.
At ebay you will find some ten years old but worthy owning.
08-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
Should i return my 55-300 F4-5.8 and buy the 55-300 PLM online? The price difference is not that big (less than 150-200 CA$).
The In-Depth review of the PLM version also does compare the lens with the old model.

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
If the cost difference is not that big you probably will be happier with the new model, but the old 55-300mm lens isn't bad for a consumer zoom either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
The best for landscape lens is HD pentax 16-85 mm f3.5-5.6 because it is wide angle of view than 55-300.
But the 55-300mm lens is a good fit for the 20-40mm lens the OP wants to buy.
08-18-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
But the 55-300mm lens is a good fit for the 20-40mm lens the OP wants to buy.
This is exactly why I have bought the 55-300 mm zoom, so i can pair it up with the 20-40 mm lens. Life is about trade-off

I have ordered the 50-300 PLM and the 20-40 on Amazon.ca and will return the old 55-300 to the camera shop.