Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #46
pxt

I wrote about this lens, because is for me very universal for portrait too. In mountain with my experience weight less is better. Zoom is more comfortable, but question is what is your favorite? Landscape - 15 limited. Portrait with hills on background - 77 limited. 100 WR + teleconverter x2 is small lens and WR for wild animals. It is my choice base on extreme less weight. Extra calories and water are worth od that.

08-24-2018, 01:59 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For longer tours I usually just take the Pentax-F 35-70mm (in bad weather my DA-L 18-55mm WR lens) and a Cosina Cosinon-T 135mm f3.5 with me when I am mountaineering. 35mm is just a normal lens on APS-C but if I need wider I usually stitch multiple shots together in post.
That beeing said, if I had a 15mm limited I would certainly take it with me, even if I wouldn't use it, it wouldn't add much to the backpack.
08-24-2018, 04:22 AM   #48
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
if I had a 15mm limited I would certainly take it with me, even if I wouldn't use it, it wouldn't add much to the backpack.
When I go to hills I blessing all lost lens. Limited series is winner at this point.
08-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Add the DA 21mm F3.2 limited is also a winner...

08-24-2018, 05:00 AM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
When I go to hills I blessing all lost lens. Limited series is winner at this point.
there is a small thread on that thought

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 14 - PentaxForums.com

you are welcomed to add to it if you wish
08-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #51
pxt

Thank you for this thread!
08-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #52
Veteran Member

The Da 15 and Da 21 limiteds have the best sharpness and landscape views. Camera regulate the speed, never gets old and still in production until now.

08-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the 15mm but the 21 is a winner. It's probably my favorite general use lens. Casual portraits look great, and it's not some big intimidating lens, which seems to put people at ease. If you can find a used one, jump on it.
08-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
This is exactly why I have bought the 55-300 mm zoom, so i can pair it up with the 20-40 mm lens. Life is about trade-off

I have ordered the 50-300 PLM and the 20-40 on Amazon.ca and will return the old 55-300 to the camera shop.
Here are the basic settings I recommend for your KP: First, put your Mode dial on "P" operation. Then go to the Custom Image menus and set the Sharpening to Fine Sharpening, in both the "Bright" and "Natural" categories by using your thumb dial to put an "F" by the "S". You access these menus through the quick access screen, which you bring up with the "info" button. Now the 4 buttons surrounding the "ok" button are used to navigate and for changing settings. Custom Image should be the first section, and the camera should already be set to the "Bright" category by default. Hit "ok" to display all categories, and "info" again to open that category.

In the "Bright" category, you will notice that the level of Sharpening is by default up one notch to +1. Leave it that way, but just add the Fine Sharpening also, then hit "ok". Then navigate to the next "Natural" category, and you will see Sharpening is not up by one notch, so you can advance it up to +1 yourself before adding Fine Sharpening. Then hit "ok" Now be sure to navigate back, putting the camera back on the "Bright" category, because this provides bast results for most shooting needs. Then hit the "menu" button to exit, or turn off the camera.

These settings will apply to the P, Av, Tv, Sv. Tav, and M modes, and will provide superior detail in your images right out of the camera. The KP has exceptionally fine internal processing. Avoid shooting in the green "Auto" mode, as many features and adjustments are then not available to you, which includes the Pentax Hyper System, and it may also choose alternative Custom Image categories decided upon by the camera's automation. The green "Auto" mode is basically there for occasions where you temporarily hand the camera to someone who doesn't know anything about it, to make sure those controls and features are not active, just in case that person might accidentally hit a wrong button or dial. For full automation where the camera is setting both the aperture and the shutter speed for "correct" exposure, use "P' mode.

I have used these same settings for years, through numerous Pentax models, with fine results, and there have been subsequent independent test reviews that have the same recommendations for both the KP and for the K-70.
08-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #55
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I don't have the 15mm but the 21 is a winner. It's probably my favorite general use lens. Casual portraits look great, and it's not some big intimidating lens, which seems to put people at ease. If you can find a used one, jump on it.
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Casual portraits look great, and it's not some big intimidating lens
15m for portrait only if have large interesting ground. I'll be afraid in another scenario face distortions:
08-25-2018, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
15m for portrait only if have large interesting ground. I'll be afraid in another scenario face distortions:
How different camera lenses affect how you appear in photos - YouTube
Yes, and even the DA 21mm LTD is really not meant for portraits. But can be used with good results for well-centered half-body portraits without noticeable perspective distortion. Being a WA lens, it might also present a more 3 dimensional effect within the surrounding environment.
08-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #57
pxt

I must think about it. I prefered minimum 50mm to portrait. Now my boy for hard job is 77 limited.
08-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just got the 55-300 PLM lens. The AF is very very quiet. Glad to have switched to the PLM version of this lens.
Congratulations on the KP and the DA 55-300 PLM. I recently got both and am very happy with the combination, I have had the DA 55-300 non PLM and the speed and quietness of the PLM version blows it away. Your won't get quite the IQ that you get in the DA* 300, but it is a third the price and more versatile. I've had Pentax DSLRs since 2009. I also have a Sony mirrorless (a6000). Last year I decided to try a mirrorless and the decision was Fuji or Sony. Sony was more likely because of the Fuji lens prices. I happened to go into a used camera store and they had a very nice Sony at a good price, it also turned out to only have a little over 4000 shutter clicks. It's very nice and has its place, but it won't replace a Pentax. The Sony will be used for street shooting, travel when I need to go very light, or time when I want to have a camera in my pocket for who knows what.

I've not used the 20-40 but I think it will be an excellent choice. If you don't want to break the bank for something between the two you might try a Pentax-F 50/1.7 or the DA 50/1.8. The F is an autofocus lens and can usually be had for well under a hundred dollars. And a lot of people have mentions the DA 15/4 Ltd, I heartily concur, very good, very small. I my most recent air travel trip I took the KP, 55-300, 15, 17-50 in my Turnstyle 10 sling bag, and I only used the 55-300 and 15. I would have used the Sony but I needed the 55-300 for some specific shooting.

Welcome to the Forums and enjoy the KP!
08-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yes, and even the DA 21mm LTD is really not meant for portraits. But can be used with good results for well-centered half-body portraits without noticeable perspective distortion. Being a WA lens, it might also present a more 3 dimensional effect within the surrounding environment.
For casual indoor work, it's very good. Often you don't have space to use something like a 50mm. IIRC Lightroom can correct for this lens. The 3D effect might be part of its charm, come to think of it - separating subjects from surroundings.
08-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #60

Hello everyone,

Long story short, i'm a iphonographer since 2012 and got really into photography after buying some Moment Lenses for my iPhone (1). After shooting with them for a couple of month now, i feel that i'm ready to buy my first "real" camera.

I did my homework and the Fuji X mount system made the most sense for me. The lenses are great (but expensive) and i can start shooting with an affordable XT100...without being stuck if I want to upgrade in the future (i.e. XH1). I was already ready to buy this Fuji when I tumble upon this very YouTube video (2) about the Pentax KP. Then i remembered why my father used to shoot on a Pentax: a well built body, with IBIS, great weather-sealing and affordable lenses.

Working in agriculture i've learned that a simple but well built systems are often more efficient than a cutting edge products hard to understand. So here is what i'm looking for: a comprehensive lens system that allows me to evolve with the upcoming technology without having to buy a new set of lenses every 10 years and a good lineup of sturdy camera body that can handle my line of work.

So here are my questions:
  1. PRIME LENSES: Can I find a good equivalent to the Fuji XF 35mm F2 (the nifty fifty on an APSC Sensor), XF23mm F2, XF56mm F1.2 (awesome bokeh for portraits) and the XF16 mm F1.4 (wide)? I have read/seen a lot of good review on these Fuji lenses and would like to have the some "equivalent" in the Pentax K-Mount system (Pentax KP).
  2. ZOOM LENS: I'm looking for an affordable zoom for landscape photography (i.e. 55-230 mm for example)
  3. AUTOFOCUS: I've heard that autofocus is great for beginner, but some 3rd party (or old lenses) don't have it. What's your take on that? I there enough Pentax lenses in the focal lengh i need with autofocus?
  4. PENTAX: Sony and other brands has been heavily marketing their mirror-less platforms. Do you think that Pentax is a good bet on the long run? I'm totally fine with the "buy once, cry once" old adage, especially when i comes to lenses. But is Pentax is rational choice in this mirroless age?
  5. BODY: Pentax KP seems to be an obvious choice: quite new, not too big (vs a regular mirrorless), sturdy (Quebec winters + pickup rides), with IBIS and easy to use.
Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm very open minded and i'm here to learn.

Thanks in advance

Tanguy

(1) Moment | Moment - Mobile Photography Gear, Apps, and Travel
(2) 5 Reasons to Buy - The Pentax KP - Affordable mirrorless killer? - YouTube
I have limited experience in the photography world. However, after loads of research I purchased a K70 with the 18-135 kit lens. I also picked picked up a DA50 1.8. For the money, I don't think it can be beat. The kit lens is very sharp and has been a great all around lens. The "nifty fifty" is incredibly sharp and provides beautiful bokeh. I know you will get a lot of folks praising the KP. Which is a great camera but, I would at least look at the K70. It really is a great, budget friendly option.