Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a rather nice kit! One thing I like about the 55-300 plm is that it focuses very close, to 1/3 magnification, so it's good for macro-territory photos

08-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tanguy .. " This is exactly why I have bought the 55-300 mm zoom, so i can pair it up with the 20-40 mm lens. Life is about trade-off

I have ordered the 50-300 PLM and the 20-40 on Amazon.ca and will return the old 55-300 to the camera shop."

For sure in your first use, you will be happy because that is what your senses feels the best specially when the object is far off.

But in the long run - you will not like the acute angle of view of that two lenses.
08-18-2018, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done on your choices so far. The KP and the 55-300 (either variant) makes a great combination.

Back to your other initial queries:

In my opinion the best fast normal lens for the KP is the FA31/1.8 Limited. Sure, it's expensive (like the Fuji lenses you were initially looking at), but its package of image quality, speed and form factor is unrivalled in that focal length range. The Sigma Art 35/1.4 is another option - faster and even sharper wide open, and cheaper, but seriously big and heavy and the autofocus can be a bit skittish. Both are full frame lenses, so you would be future-proofed if you choose to upgrade.

The fastest 20-something autofocus prime is the legacy FA*24/2.0. Even now it is pricey, and rather big, but it renders beautifully. I have one, but now use it mainly on the full frame K-1. A better bet for the KP is the DA21/3.2 Limited or the 20-40 Limited Zoom, which I see you have already ordered.

For portrait lenses, the best options for a crop camera are the DA*55 and FA77 Limited. Both render beautifully and are relatively compact (especially the 77). If you really want f/1.2 like the Fuji, your best bet would be an old A50/1.2 if you're willing to focus it manually.

But don't rush. The advice to get a 18-135 or 16-85 and just get a feel for the ecosystem is worth heeding

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.
08-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
This is exactly why I have bought the 55-300 mm zoom, so i can pair it up with the 20-40 mm lens. Life is about trade-off

I have ordered the 50-300 PLM and the 20-40 on Amazon.ca and will return the old 55-300 to the camera shop.
Personally, I think you have made an amazingly good set of choices at this point.... congradulations. It is not easy to navigate the many choices and opinions one can be faced with when setting out. Enjoy your new gear!

08-18-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #35

The 55-300 PLM is a vastly superior lens to the older screw drive version (I own both), especially on the KP. Sharpness is similar, but bokeh is much better. The speed of focus and the fact that it is virtually silent makes it a must have in this price range.

I'm looking at the 20-40 as well, lets hope for a price drop.
08-18-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #36

PLM for sure. That focus speed us fantastic. If they could make a 50-500mm in PLM variant, I'd have one yesterday already.

08-18-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I went for the PLM version, the autofocus is silent and very, very fast.

08-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
Hello everyone,

Long story short, i'm a iphonographer since 2012 and got really into photography after buying some Moment Lenses for my iPhone (1). After shooting with them for a couple of month now, i feel that i'm ready to buy my first "real" camera.

I did my homework and the Fuji X mount system made the most sense for me. The lenses are great (but expensive) and i can start shooting with an affordable XT100...without being stuck if I want to upgrade in the future (i.e. XH1). I was already ready to buy this Fuji when I tumble upon this very YouTube video (2) about the Pentax KP. Then i remembered why my father used to shoot on a Pentax: a well built body, with IBIS, great weather-sealing and affordable lenses.

Working in agriculture i've learned that a simple but well built systems are often more efficient than a cutting edge products hard to understand. So here is what i'm looking for: a comprehensive lens system that allows me to evolve with the upcoming technology without having to buy a new set of lenses every 10 years and a good lineup of sturdy camera body that can handle my line of work.

So here are my questions:
  1. PRIME LENSES: Can I find a good equivalent to the Fuji XF 35mm F2 (the nifty fifty on an APSC Sensor), XF23mm F2, XF56mm F1.2 (awesome bokeh for portraits) and the XF16 mm F1.4 (wide)? I have read/seen a lot of good review on these Fuji lenses and would like to have the some "equivalent" in the Pentax K-Mount system (Pentax KP).
  2. ZOOM LENS: I'm looking for an affordable zoom for landscape photography (i.e. 55-230 mm for example)
  3. AUTOFOCUS: I've heard that autofocus is great for beginner, but some 3rd party (or old lenses) don't have it. What's your take on that? I there enough Pentax lenses in the focal lengh i need with autofocus?
  4. PENTAX: Sony and other brands has been heavily marketing their mirror-less platforms. Do you think that Pentax is a good bet on the long run? I'm totally fine with the "buy once, cry once" old adage, especially when i comes to lenses. But is Pentax is rational choice in this mirroless age?
  5. BODY: Pentax KP seems to be an obvious choice: quite new, not too big (vs a regular mirrorless), sturdy (Quebec winters + pickup rides), with IBIS and easy to use.
Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm very open minded and i'm here to learn.

Thanks in advance
1. To be perfectly honest with you, these days I use prime lenses only when I feel a desire to use old lenses, and then only because most came only in single-focal length. Zoom works with my style better.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "affordable" nor what your real focal length needs are. I tend to go with wider lenses rather than longer lenses. The DA 18-135mm lens is the real work horse in my bag. I am more likely to use my Sigma 10-20mm lens than to go longer. If I were to get a new camera, the first lens I would purchase is the 55-300mm PLM.

3. If you use zoom lenses, 10-20mm, 18-135mm, and 55-300mm should fulfill all your needs, and all come in AF.

4. DSLR vs MILC is a long-running discussion at this time. You need to try several of each and decide which you are more comfortable.

5. If my camera were to die tomorrow so I found myself purchasing a new one on Monday, that new one would be a KP. It looks like a great camera.
08-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Nice choice, I am a K3 kinda guy, but I here lots of good on the KP. I too had the hd55-300 screw drive lens and got it for real cheap, the screw drive on that lens is like nails on a chalkboard to me, luckily it got stolen and I used my insurance money to get the PLM version, this lens hands down, is the quietest and fastest focusing lens I have had from Pentax, the only other lens that comes close to focus quality is the 18-135 that I also have, and that thing is built like a tank, I have put that lens through hell the last five years and it has never failed on me. I recommend you try one out. I am holding out for that DA* ultra wide angle zoom that is coming out next year, but until then I have my trusty Sigma 8-16mm lens which is a lot of fun to use
08-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #40
pxt

For me this lens is too dark F on the end. F6.3 is not spectacular...
08-22-2018, 06:07 AM   #41

Original Poster
Just got the 55-300 PLM lens. The AF is very very quiet. Glad to have switched to the PLM version of this lens.
08-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
For me this lens is too dark F on the end. F6.3 is not spectacular...
What's your preferred alternative?
08-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #43
pxt

If I get a lot of money 70-200/2.8 Pentax lens with Teleconverter 2x. Why? Because weatherproof and limiter for portrait and short distance with quick shift.

Last edited by pxt; 08-23-2018 at 01:06 PM.
08-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I get a lot of money 70-200/2.8 Pentax lens with Teleconverter 2x. Why?
Nice lens and certainly capable of stunning landscape pictures, as long as you can park your car somewhere near(-ish).
But I wouldn't take it with me when I am mountainiering, far too heavy and unnecessary fast (f-stop) for broad daylight.
08-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If I get a lot of money 70-200/2.8 Pentax lens with Teleconverter 2x. Why? Because weatherproof and limiter for portrait and short distance with quick shift.
Well, you are talking here about a whole other use/need/application/cost which is not comparable to a DA 55-300mm lens, either version. I too have an f/2.8 outfit in addition to my HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 lens, in my case, the DA* 50-135mm and FA* 200mm.

However, when I need to go compact, and in decent lighting, the single compact tele zoom lens does quite well enough for most situations. Considering this and the costs discussed here, I think the OP has made a fine decision. The DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 is all about very high quality combined with compactness, a perfect match for the KP. Then for maximum cost effectiveness, combined with compactness and extended tele range, and very good AF, for this His 55-300mm PLM is a fine choice and a good matchup.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Tanguy .. " This is exactly why I have bought the 55-300 mm zoom, so i can pair it up with the 20-40 mm lens. Life is about trade-off

I have ordered the 50-300 PLM and the 20-40 on Amazon.ca and will return the old 55-300 to the camera shop."

For sure in your first use, you will be happy because that is what your senses feels the best specially when the object is far off.

But in the long run - you will not like the acute angle of view of that two lenses.
He will have a continuously-variable angle of view from 20mm through 300mm, except for a 15mm gap between the two lenses. There would be a much greater gap if going with a tele lens staring at 70mm. A future acquisition of a DA 15mm Limited, or a DA 12-24mm would broaden this FL range even more. This current kit is good for most practical needs, with fine quality, and for finding out about the application of different angles of view (FL with APS-C). It is unpredictable as to what his general preferences will turn out to be in the future, if any. My own photographic interests have turned out to be quite varied, therefore so must my tools be, which is of course at some expense!

Eventually, there might indeed be a future need here to consider having the fine, very versatile DA 18-135mm for times when carrying a singe lens with good range and reach is needed. It is for this reason I have both lenses, the 20-40mm LTD and the DA 18-135mm, and get good use out of each of them, according to the occasion. The 20-40mm LTD is one very fine, beautiful little lens!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.