Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #1

K-3 scratchy sound (similar to start-up) in live view

Does anyone else get this sound when you point the camera from a darker environment to a brighter one and vice versa? The image on the rearview seems to jitter a bit too when that happens. I tried out the same lens on my K-r and there weren't any of those issues. It was just a really quiet and smooth transition in live view as the exposure adjusted. Any idea why this happens to a camera that's newer than the K-r and is there any way to fix it?

08-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sound will be the aperture blades moving
08-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is that normal? I'm perplexed because my k-r doesn't have this issue at all
08-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It does that to adjust to changes in light intensity. You can check if you look at the front of the lens while shining a light in and then moving it away. Maybe it's to protect the sensor?

08-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

It's probably the difference in the aperture mechanism on the body. The K-3 uses a stepping motor to position the aperture lever control. The K-r uses the older electromagnet/solenoid mechanism.
08-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's probably the difference in the aperture mechanism on the body. The K-3 uses a stepping motor to position the aperture lever control. The K-r uses the older electromagnet/solenoid mechanism.
This might be a little too technical of a question but what are the advantages of the stepping motor over the older mechanism? I have used a k-r for years and just can't imagine why they would replace the mechanism with a noisier one. I love how quiet the K-3's shutter is but the stepping motor is really distracting
08-15-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamercross Quote
Is that normal? I'm perplexed because my k-r doesn't have this issue at all
It's not really an "issue", just part of the sound of normal operation. You will get used to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamercross Quote
This might be a little too technical of a question but what are the advantages of the stepping motor over the older mechanism?
The main advantage is reliability and the ability to manage the aperture operation separate from the mirror and shutter operation. (All three are tightly integrated on the K-r.) It might be noted that problems with the solenoid-driven actuator have been responsible for the pervasive* problems encountered by K-30, K-50, K-500 model bodies that have effectively crippled a large portion of those cameras.

Steve

* I hate to use the word "pervasive" except that it appears that most of those cameras will develop the aperture controller problem due to unforeseen issues with an externally sourced solenoid assembly that spanned over several models in the consumer line.
08-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to note, on modern lenses (A lenses with aperture ring set to A, or FA, DA, DFA, etc. without an aperture ring) the aperture is kept wide open when NOT in live view, so you won't hear it stop down until you release the shutter, which moves the mirror, and the noise from the shutter and mirror probably cover up any aperture noise.

In live view, the mirror is locked up and the aperture is stopped down, and if you are in P, Tv, Sv, Auto or any mode where aperture setting is controlled by the camera, it's going to change the aperture in response to the light levels it's metering.

I think that's how it works, at least.

I did not know how it works :-)

Last edited by jhankins; 08-15-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: I was wrong :-)
08-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jhankins Quote
Just to note, on modern lenses (A lenses with aperture ring set to A, or FA, DA, DFA, etc. without an aperture ring) the aperture is kept wide open when NOT in live view, so you won't hear it stop down until you release the shutter, which moves the mirror, and the noise from the shutter and mirror probably cover up any aperture noise.
The same is true with Pentax-K and M lenses. With a few exceptions, all K-mount lenses have auto aperture actuation. In addition, stop down when bright feature in live view is disabled with those lenses mounted since the body cannot control the aperture setting on those lenses.

In live view, the mirror is locked up and the aperture is stopped down, and if you are in P, Tv, Sv, Auto or any mode where aperture setting is controlled by the camera, it's going to change the aperture in response to the light levels it's metering.
Sorry, but that is not quite the case with Pentax dSLRs. The bright light protection feature is usually a fairly mild stop-down except in very bright light. The lens stays essentially wide open until the exposure sequence is started. FWIW, unless the aperture has been set on the lens, aperture is always controlled by the camera, regardless of mode. This may be confirmed by direct observation by looking through the front of the lens while using live view.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Accuracy regarding severity of the stopdown
08-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the correction Steve! I didn't know what I didn't know 😁

I did find this thread where you had explained how this works, and mentioned that optical DoF preview worked for live mode too, which I also did not know:

Question on What We See When We Change Aperture and Shutter in LiveView - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I obviously need to study live view mode more.

And yes, when not in live view, the lens aperture stays wide open until releasing the shutter (or DoF preview, or green button stop-down metering, etc.) on ALL lenses, not just those with auto-aperture (doh, I knew that!)

I'll edit my earlier reply to strike through my errors when I get to a PC, if that's an option, to avoid misleading future readers.
08-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the correction Steve! I didn't know what I didn't know ��
Ha! Ha! I don't know that I can keep it straight most of the time. In my opinion, the automated stopping down in live view is a bit of a pain. I would prefer full-time at the set aperture or open-aperture over the current feature. The main reason being that I use live view to confirm AF fine adjustment and prefer to not have extra DOF thrown in when I am not expecting it.

Steve
08-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks steve for the explanation and jhankins for linking to the other thread. Really interesting read
08-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
pxt

On K3 II I always hear noice when I live view on.