Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K70 Question: set shutter speed and let camera choose ISO

Is it possible to set the K70 to a specific shutter time, such as 1/20 sec and let the camera chose ISO,etc? I cannot seem to find this capability.

08-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be shutter priority (Tv) with auto iso enabled. You would set the shutter and the camera would automatically adjust the iso.
08-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Either Tv mode with auto ISO as twilhelm suggest above, or P mode with hyper program enabled. Then you can change the shutter speed to whatever you want on the fly, and the camera will adjust the rest. Auto ISO is accessible through the 4-way controller; hyper program can be enabled in the main menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Like what twilhelm and Adam have suggested, Tv mode allows you choosing the shutter speed, the camera will adjust the aperture (and ISO) accordingly. More information about modes can be found on page 51 of the K-70 manual. For the auto ISO setting, look at page 56.

08-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Any automated exposure mode where the shutter speed is user selected:
  1. Tv mode (the "T" is for time) with auto-ISO enabled. The camera will adjust the aperture and ISO to fit the shutter speed
  2. TAv mode. You set shutter speed and aperture with the camera adjusting the ISO.
  3. Hyper-program (P) mode with auto-ISO on. You override the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture and ISO
All three of the above are equivalent, though #2 is the most predictable in terms of how ISO will "ramp". I hope this helps.

Steve
08-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always forget about Hyper-Program mode. Too many years shooting M or Av mode I guess.
08-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #7

Hyper Program is one of those little gems folks forget about. When I'm just goofing around, and don't know the opportunities which may present, I frequently keep my K-3 in HypP, as it let's me select my desired variable (shutter or aperture) and instantly jump into Av or Tv mode without having to adjust the mode dial.

08-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone for the suggestions. I will get a chance early next week to work trying them.

Again thanks.