Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

*IST DL - no auto focus

I have an IST DL which had the auto coupler jammed into the ring. I was able to remedy that so that the coupler was out the correct amount to engage the AF lens. The lens runs in and out to the stops and then will arbitrarily stop somewhere out of focus. Doesn't matter what lens I use, it does this on them all. The pentagram within the viewfinder shows up when you manually focus the lens, so it seems to have that working. I currently also have to work the lens to get it back off the camera as it gets hung up on the auto coupler. 2 different problems. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in getting the AF back to working properly?

08-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Seems like ist DL was released 13 years ago? Maybe time to let it be (a manual focus camera) and find another camera that’s willing to AF?
08-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started having similar problems with my eyes, it all comes with age.....
08-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
I figured I'd find some direction on the autofocus issue other than advising me to get a new camera... ? BTW I have been able to remedy the lens removal; just a small mechanical adjustment.

08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you need to provide more details and perhaps some pictures, what is the auto coupler?
08-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
you need to provide more details and perhaps some pictures, what is the auto coupler?
Well, take a photo of the AF not working. With an AF lens, you push the trigger in half way. The lens runs to the end stop then reverses to the other end stop and quits. This happens every time you push to focus. If you manually focus the lens, the pentagram will appear in the viewfinder when focus is correct. I'm an electronics tech and am curious as to how the AF functions within the camera.

The second part of the lens issue was mechanical. Someone had reefed the lens off at one point and jammed the auto coupler (the AF drive coupler) into the ring so it wasn't functioning at all. The first try resulted in the shaft not allowing the lens to be removed as it wouldn't retract in either MF or AF mode. I was able to compare the linkage to my other IST and fix it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
08-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"auto coupler" we call it screw drive.
I have sometimes the same problem with MACRO DA35 and DFA 100.
If you point AF point on the very contrasty edge is camera/lens stil hunting?
Phase Detection vs Contrast Detection Autofocus

08-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
"auto coupler" we call it screw drive.
I have sometimes the same problem with MACRO DA35 and DFA 100.
If you point AF point on the very contrasty edge is camera/lens stil hunting?
Phase Detection vs Contrast Detection Autofocus
Screw drive .. hmmm... okay. Yeah, doesn't matter what you point it at, near, far, contrasting, it doesn't matter. I'm giving up on this one, I'll concentrate on my other body. It's in good shape otherwise, I'll let someone else put the time into it or part it out. It's only got 9,000 clicks on it.