Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Unpleasant surprise

Hi everybody,
I'm happily shooting along with my K3II. But I have had an unpleasant surprise several times this summer. I suddenly realize that the colour schem setting has changed without my having done it. A number of my last pictures have been wasted, and have got either (mostly) dull subdued colours or sometimes ccrizily wild colours. I don't understand how it can happen because I have to press the respective buttons several times to it myself. Any possibility of locking the settings so it doens't happen unintentionally?

08-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It could happen when trying to select a focus point but whilth the pad not set on focus point selection... If you have the RAW files, just develop new jpgs with the right color style, in camera or with PDCU. If you don't have the RAW file, you now know why it's always a good idea to use RAW+ instead of "jpg only"...
08-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
maybe your white balance is tied to your focus point instead of metering the whole image.

If your focus point meters on something lighter and inch over something darker, you could get two very different looking images..

Maybe? Just and idea?
08-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have changed the custom image on the right hand button of the four-way controller. If you hand it on bright, it's easy to change to cross processing without noticing. Been there, done that.

08-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Could it be that you have different settings activated in different modes? These cameras save a lot of settings if you aren't careful to uncheck the various "save" boxes.
08-20-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My solution is to shoot raw, as Carl says. You could also try to use natural image.
08-20-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I think you have changed the custom image on the right hand button of the four-way controller. If you hand it on bright, it's easy to change to cross processing without noticing. Been there, done that.
I too have fallen into this ' trap '

I blame it on my fat thumb

I would love to know there was some way to " lock " those selections - the one on the left and the one on the right of the 4 way selector

08-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if you have the RAW files this should not be an issue. There is no waste when you shoot in RAW or RAW+.
08-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

I would love to know there was some way to " lock " those selections - the one on the left and the one on the right of the 4 way selector
On the K1 you can make the AF selector the default for the four way controller, that helps avoiding these other menus and accidentally changing settings.
08-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

I've gotten the white balance off as well as having set all sorts of other things accidentally. I blame my fat ass as I am walking through the woods and the camera hits it and I unwittingly press buttons. This is one of the reasons why I always shoot raw. If you like having the jpegs without going developing on the computer then shoot raw+ as if this happens you can still correct from the raw image. I've put it into vivid mode, cross process, etc. although the various white balances seem to be the ones I set most accidently.
08-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've screwed up my white balance numerous times. I'm shooting RAW so it's not too bad, but I have to remind myself to check occasionally. I get home and think 'these images seem awfully yellow...'
08-20-2018, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
My solution is to shoot raw, as Carl says. You could also try to use natural image.
... and Natural seems to give a more accurate histogram too. What I mean is I shoot in RAW and when I chimp the histogram (in JPEG), the Natural setting and the blinkies seem to reflect the highlights more precisely. Adjusting the exposure from the chimped histogram in Natural to just show over-exposure means I have a little more wiggle room with the highlights in post - normally.
08-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have had the ISO change when I have a large lens mounted and the camera bounces against my hip or ribs depending on the strap used. Now I never let go of the lens foot and shoot RAW+.
08-21-2018, 02:29 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxgroebel Quote
Hi everybody,
I'm happily shooting along with my K3II. But I have had an unpleasant surprise several times this summer. I suddenly realize that the colour schem setting has changed without my having done it. A number of my last pictures have been wasted, and have got either (mostly) dull subdued colours or sometimes ccrizily wild colours. I don't understand how it can happen because I have to press the respective buttons several times to it myself. Any possibility of locking the settings so it doens't happen unintentionally?
touched that green button by mistake?
08-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This has happened to me at times too. Another good reason for always shooting RAW.