Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

When you used your 70-200, did you frequently need the extreme 200mm end?

If you were often using 200mm maybe you'll benefit from even more reach. Any variant of the 55-300 comes in under the 5" limit, assuming that they aren't going to force you to cycle through the zoom and focus range. The PLM variant has the fastest autofocus. Aperture of the 55-300 could be an issue as you'll need to use higher ISO to compensate.

If you weren't using 200mm that often, there are many f2.8 lenses smaller than 5" long in the 100-135 range. Do you need autofocus?
  • DFA 100 2.8 WR macro is a very sharp lens. The focus range is designed for macro, making AF relatively slow, and MF requires turning the ring a lot, but as the cars will never be very close you should be able to do MF okay. Consider this lens if you'll have occasion to benefit from the macro capability other times; don't get it solely for races.
  • If you're okay with manual focus, the modern Samyang/Rokinon 135mm is great.
  • If budget is a limitation, you can find used manual focus 135mm f2.8 lenses for less than $50. Many of them are fairly sharp but you'll need to check the review area.
The DA* 200/2.8 seemed like an obvious choice, but its 5.3" length risks falling afoul of an overly zealous guard with a ruler. I've never seen any guard actually measure something.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
...the only other solution seems to be get a micro 4/3 or bridge camera...
The OP mentioned low light. These smaller sensors tend to give grainy results at high ISO or soft results from noise reduction. They are a great option for daylight sports, though.

The higher end m43 stuff can do okay in lower light. Lens choice is limited because some m43 telephoto lenses exceed the 5" limit. Olympus E-M1 mark 2 plus Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8 II (70-200 equivalent) meets the rules but costs around $2700. I certainly wouldn't want to spend that much to meet a venue's camera rule that might arbitrarily change at any time.

08-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums

you might want to look at whether any " bridge cameras " might be your solution

I hate to steer you in that direction but just offering a possibility

since you are in the US, you could look into renting a bridge camera

I have used LensRentals.com to rent SLR lenses and tripods and was treated well
I second the use of Lensrentals.com, I ended up buying the lens from them
08-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Q7 with the adapter for K-mount lenses (get the real Pentax one!) can give you a lot of reach. I had a similar problem at an NFL exhibition game. A 100 macro (f 2.8) on a Q7 is like a 500mm or so telephoto and the gate keepers will have no idea what you have.
08-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Email the venue and tell them you are spreading the word that they are not photographer friendly and you are thinking of other venues that aren't so restrictive. Then complain on FB and twitter if you have an account asking others to retweet. Nascar is having trouble filling seats so if you complain loudly enough, you might get results. No carrot available for you to use other than your cash so head for the stick and swing it hard!

08-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Email the venue and tell them you are spreading the word that they are not photographer friendly and you are thinking of other venues that aren't so restrictive. Then complain on FB and twitter if you have an account asking others to retweet. Nascar is having trouble filling seats so if you complain loudly enough, you might get results. No carrot available for you to use other than your cash so head for the stick and swing it hard!
I can't find any larger Nascar announcement but the speedway one is here. It includes a lot of other things including coolers. My guess is that the larger cameras either were blocking other people from seeing or pro photographers asked to limit the lenses to keep down competition.

https://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/fans/rules-regulations/
08-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I can't find any larger Nascar announcement but the speedway one is here. It includes a lot of other things including coolers. My guess is that the larger cameras either were blocking other people from seeing or pro photographers asked to limit the lenses to keep down competition.

Rules & Regulations | Fan Info | Bristol Motor Speedway
Well, it is a teeny tiny little track, so I guess it may make sense, but at moist venues, Nascar is tarping off seats like the NFL does in unfilled stadiums. Even at Bristol. The last time I saw racing there, it had lots of empty seats. may have been a truck race but hey, Nascar attendance was way down last I had heard.
08-21-2018, 02:28 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deanklim Quote
First time posting, so if I asked this in the wrong place please let me know. I went to Bristol Motor Speedway for the Nascar night race this past weekend. In the past I've taken my K-3II and then my K-1 with my Sigma 70-200 F2.8. Sitting about 20 rows up I've gotten decent results. This year there was a five inch lens limit on detachable lenses. My 70-200 is closer to eight inches My question is what lens would you recommend that would be under five inches, perform well in poor lighting (dusk/dark), and still be able to get reasonably sharp pictures of the cars (fast enough)? I enden up using a 24-70 F2.8 in crop mode. Thanks
Wow, they are getting sophisticated with their bans. Here in Australia, the limit is 200mm, so a dodgy 300mm is not allowed in. I think you guys are on the right track though. Maybe try a Sigma 100-300