Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shutter count vs external wear

A few weeks ago I got a K10D in LN- condition. Indeed, the outside is (or was, maybe I scratched it?) spotless. I mean completely spotless, the "leather" grip and all. But the shutter count utility here on pf says it was at over 15,000 shutter actuations.

I don't mind the shutter count (I think it's rather low for such an old camera) but how is it possible that during all that time there's no mark on the body? In comparison, I take good care of my k3ii, but there's some immediately obvious small wear here and there at 25,000. Is it because the magnesium body gets scratched more easily? Even the lcd is spotless on the k10d, the inside of the mirror box too.

Can the tool somehow give a wrong count? (I doubt it, but maybe because it's an older model?)

Last edited by aaacb; 08-21-2018 at 07:07 PM.
08-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think 15000 is low for a K10. Some people take very good care of their equipment.
08-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Some people take very good care of their equipment.
I'm very impressed, whoever had this particular one!
08-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think 15000 is low for a K10. Some people take very good care of their equipment.
Yes, that is incredibly low.

When I sold my K10D, Spring of 2014, it had about 45,000 actuations and only a single scratch on the rear LCD to indicate age or wear, even after 7 years of use.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-21-2018 at 07:51 PM.
08-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D isn’t much higher in shutter count, and looks new also. I’ve always had two or three bodies, which keeps the shutter count lower.
08-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #6

I bought my K20D brand new 10 years ago and still use it. Shutter count is above 30,000 but it looks like straight from the box with absolutely no signs of usage.

But that's with everything I own. Even my cars are usually in better condition than when they left factory.

But I know a person who has gone through 3 original Pentax remote controls just by breaking them while using or carrying.
08-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My K10D showed very little wear before the shutter expired. They were very nicely built. Enjoy this one. That CCD sensor might not do well in low light compared to its CMOS brothers, but the old timer can still show the youngsters a thing or two about color when the sun is out.
08-22-2018, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #8

I just got a used K200D, and it's pristine! Plus the shutter count says 1020 photos!!! I feel like someone bought it and never used it.

It was a long saga of a repair gone wrong, a replacement camera given to me that was not equivalent but I'm so happy to now have my old model back in my hands the past few months of irritation are forgotten 😁

08-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by shaylouway Quote
I just got a used K200D, and it's pristine! Plus the shutter count says 1020 photos!!! I feel like someone bought it and never used it.

It was a long saga of a repair gone wrong, a replacement camera given to me that was not equivalent but I'm so happy to now have my old model back in my hands the past few months of irritation are forgotten 😁
I would love to get my hands on a mint K200D...
08-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaylouway Quote
I just got a used K200D, and it's pristine! Plus the shutter count says 1020 photos!!!
Sounds like my K-3. It was listed as being in excellent condition by a local retailer that I do trust in grading but was off being cleaned so I bought it sight unseen. A couple days later I realized that I may have made a mistake and maybe just bought a camera that was used heavily in a studio and may be worn out as it was a flagship camera and it had 3 spare batteries. Turns out the shutter count was 2315 in its previous 3 years of life. I do wonder with a camera like that if someone just bought way too much camera, played with it enough to realize they didn't know what they were doing, and then put it back in the box.

8 months on and I now have almost 10x that many (I am at like 19XXX something) and it is going strong. I haven't taken anywhere near 17,000 keepers (probably 200 total) and a very large number of those shots were me trying out different techniques. I also did a bunch of astrophotography last winter and some failed attempts this summer with it which really pile on the shutter actuations.
08-22-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Sounds like my K-3. It was listed as being in excellent condition by a local retailer that I do trust in grading but was off being cleaned so I bought it sight unseen. A couple days later I realized that I may have made a mistake and maybe just bought a camera that was used heavily in a studio and may be worn out as it was a flagship camera and it had 3 spare batteries. Turns out the shutter count was 2315 in its previous 3 years of life. I do wonder with a camera like that if someone just bought way too much camera, played with it enough to realize they didn't know what they were doing, and then put it back in the box.

8 months on and I now have almost 10x that many (I am at like 19XXX something) and it is going strong. I haven't taken anywhere near 17,000 keepers (probably 200 total) and a very large number of those shots were me trying out different techniques. I also did a bunch of astrophotography last winter and some failed attempts this summer with it which really pile on the shutter actuations.
My K5 I bought new, has about 5k shots on it. It was my second or third camera for my jobs, so didnít see the heavy use my mains saw. That may be what you got your hands on.

Nice find either way.
08-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
My K5 I bought new, has about 5k shots on it. It was my second or third camera for my jobs, so didnít see the heavy use my mains saw. That may be what you got your hands on.

Nice find either way.
If that is the case I'll take more lightly used backup cameras.
08-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
After unboxing my K-1, I went directly outside on a muddy hike in a downpour. My wife's K-5II is in mint condition after 4 years of use. That shutter count is definitely possible in its condition when in the right hands!
08-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
After unboxing my K-1, I went directly outside on a muddy hike in a downpour.
Good to know I'm not the only one who does such things. I haul my stuff all over the place and end up with scuffs and nicks on it. It is all cosmetic but it happens no matter how much I try to avoid it. Take the camera to cub scout camp a few times and it will have some minor scars. I'm actually surprised it is in as good condition as it is given how much time it spends outside in less than ideal conditions.
08-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
pxt

For my few years old K200D weak point was screen. You can see tiny scratches on that, but rest of body was like new.