Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rescue/Unstick my Hoya CPL???

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I have been using my Hoya Circular Polarizer (link below)... really amazing, and love the quality for the value.

I purchased a 77mm, so that I would be able to use the CPL on all of the my lenses, with the use of a step-up rings. However, after using said step-up rings my Hoya CPL is now stuck on the 77mm ring. Because of the way that CPLs are made, when you try and spin the CPL, it simply rotates on the housing... which I imagine is making it difficult for me to apply enough pressure to the ring to get it off. I don't have a problem with the step-up rings that link to this ring. In truth, I can (and still do) use the CPL as intended as none of my lenses are 77mm (72 is the biggest).

Was just wondering if anyone had a remedy for when they have a something stuck to a ring?? Another potential remedy might be just cutting the ring off in order to get to the CPL, but I'm hoping to go that far.

Thanks,

08-22-2018, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Filter Wrenches

I use these and they work most of the time. I have 49mm to 86 mm . Sometime I have to resort to bottle openers. All plastic so I don't damage the filters.

62-77mm Filter Wrench Camera Lens Filter Removal Tools Spanner Pack of 2 Kit Set | eBay
08-22-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #3

Filter Wrenches, plastic rings that will grab both and give you a handle to twist. Leather gloves to get a better grip. Try tapping or flicking the edge with your finger nail to vibrate the threads. Put in freezer. One gloved hand, one ungloved, warm the filter ring with ungloved, place in palm, and try to loosen CPL with the gloved.
08-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danivan Quote
Leather gloves to get a better grip. Try tapping or flicking the edge with your finger nail to vibrate the threads. Put in freezer. One gloved hand, one ungloved, warm the filter ring with ungloved, place in palm, and try to loosen CPL with the gloved.
Was going to suggest these so count this as another suggestion for the same. A mechanical or thermal shock will often loosen stuck things. I would also suggest heating things up some if the previous attempts don't work and go get the hair dryer to heat it up.

08-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuck filters

A mistake often made with "stuck" filters and rings is to apply too much pressure trying to remove them. The thin metal is easy to deform and when squeezed becomes out of round and wont budge, locks up like brake shoes in a round brake drum. The usual first instinct is to grip harder which just compounds the problem. Try spreading your fingers evenly spaced around the filter, grip with gentle even pressure and turn. The goal is to avoid squeezing the filter out of round and locking it up. Works every time for me.
08-22-2018, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All you need rubber. For your situation, a rubber band will work perfectly and not subject your camera/lens/filter to thermal or mechanical shock. For stuck filters that don't rotate, placing on the bottom side of a mouse pad and turning works perfectly.
08-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Polarizing filters when stuck are more difficult to remove because of the rotating element. The filter wrenches mentioned above will do the trick nicely. They haven't failed me yet.

08-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

jab beat me to it...definitely a rubber band
08-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

I've glued a an " O ring " to the inside of each of my step up rings to prevent this from happening - fairly cheap remedy and easy to source in the internet.
08-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
jab beat me to it...definitely a rubber band
Ditto!
08-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Make mine the third (or is it forth or fifth) vote for filter wrenches.