Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor Troubleshooting

Just this day I was using the flash on my K-3 to take some product shots. I left the setup aside for half a minute, while the flash was charged, and then suddenly it discharged. After that point, it continues to randomly discharge, sometimes in bursts - it no longer fires when directed by the camera, and the manual release button on the flash to make it fire either.

Hoping someone here would have a quick diagnosis what's wrong with the connections/capacitor!

Thanks

08-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to ask, are you sure that flash is safe on the K-3 (due to voltages)?? I believe some of the 285HVs work with lower voltages, but are you sure yours is one of them?

I would be far more concerned for the body than the flash unit
08-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, don't use those on the body without a safe-sync. Anyway, sounds like it has gone bad unless you just have a stuck button or something. (Try fresh batteries.) Although they are real work-horses -- do they ever actually go bad? I have a bunch of 283s and 285s and 5600s -- they all have always worked great.
08-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It sounds like it is dead. If it is the recent model Vivitar 285HV (Vivitar in label only), it should be safe on the K-3, otherwise, I might suggest checking the K-3 to see if it might be fried as well.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-22-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Accuracy
08-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It sounds like it is dead. If it is the current model Vivitar 285HV (Vivitar in label only and sold new by B&H and others), it should be safe on the K-3, otherwise, I might suggest checking the K-3 to see if it might be fried as well.
They still make them? I wouldn't know about the quality now. I was assuming it was an old one -- mine are all decades old and still going strong.
08-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They still make them? I wouldn't know about the quality now. I was assuming it was an old one -- mine are all decades old and still going strong.
There was a recent model flash with the same name, but not the same flash. The original disappeared many years ago.

Edit: ...or I may be mistaken. It is my memory that the current holders of the Vivitar name were selling such a flash in the recent past. B&H has a product page, but lists it as discontinued. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Flash.html

Steve
08-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Does it only flash spontaneously when mount on the hot shoe or even off camera? If the former, there may be short in the flash shoe. If the latter, the test button may be stuck or there is a short in the foot or elsewhere. The sensor and power control unit used to be removable on these flashes. If it is, pull it out and re-seat it.

These units are plentiful and low priced enough that it would be easy to replace.

08-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a recent model flash with the same name, but not the same flash. The original disappeared many years ago.

Edit: ...or I may be mistaken. It is my memory that the current holders of the Vivitar name were selling such a flash in the recent past. B&H has a product page, but lists it as discontinued. Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video
Yes, Steve, you are are correct. There was a "reintroduced" Vivitar 285HV flash that was sold by B&H for a few years. I owned three of them and they all proved to be unreliable. One was received DOA and was replaced by B&H with another that failed in less than a year. I replaced the second one and it failed in a few months. It is easy to identify the unreliable "reintroduced" flashes because they are marked "made in China." The original Vivitar flashes, which are proven work horses, are marked "made in Japan" or "made in Korea."

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have to ask, are you sure that flash is safe on the K-3 (due to voltages)?? I believe some of the 285HVs work with lower voltages, but are you sure yours is one of them?
Vivitar 285HV flashes have a triggering voltage of 6 volts or less which is safe for use when connected to a digital camera. The predecessor 285 model (not marked HV) have a high triggering voltage which can damage a digital camera.

Dennis
08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Vivitar 285HV flashes have a triggering voltage of 6 volts or less which is safe for use when connected to a digital camera. The predecessor 285 model (not marked HV) have a high triggering voltage which can damage a digital camera.
Good to know

The limit of my knowledge is what I've read on a couple of websites, such as: A Concise Guide to the Vivitar 285 and Vivitar 285 HV and Cactus KF36

That website implies care should be taken with anything but the later models of the 285HV - but if you're certain about the voltages, that's great
08-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good to know

The limit of my knowledge is what I've read on a couple of websites, such as: A Concise Guide to the Vivitar 285 and Vivitar 285 HV and Cactus KF36

That website implies care should be taken with anything but the later models of the 285HV - but if you're certain about the voltages, that's great
Over the past 12 plus years, I have extensively read articles, reviews and user forum posts about safe triggering voltages for digital cameras and never encountered someone reporting that a Vivitar 285HV has damaged their digital camera. Having said this, "better safe than sorry" is a good philosophy to follow. When in doubt, use a multi-meter to check the triggering voltage of your flash. Although Pentax has been non-committal in providing information on maximum safe triggering voltage for their digital cameras, from what I've read, anything below 10 volts should be okay with Pentax digital cameras.

Dennis
08-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #11

I have a 285 that I bought in the early mid 80s. The trigger voltage is around 6 volts. I think its only the ones made before 1981-2 that are a problem.
08-23-2018, 04:32 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This site lists the voltage of lots of flashes:
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
12-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello everyone! Thanks for the feedback and help

I wanted to share that I left the flash alone for a long while, and now when I try it out it works again. Go figure. I don't really trust it for a photo shoot, but at least I've got something. Does this change anyone's diagnosis?
12-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #14

Form the capacitor? Instructions should be in the manual. If not with fresh batteries turn it on wait 10-30 seconds after flash is fully charged and then trigger flash at full power. Repeat 3-4 times. When turning off the flash leave it fully charged instead of discharging the flash.