Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Penta k3 issue writing to card or card issue?

Hey here is an image that isn't making me happy, i have images that are coming out like this... anyone have an issue like this before?

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 08:11 PM ----------

not sure if anyone has had this problem before but any guesses, it happens on both of my 2 sandisk extreme pro cards

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 08:12 PM ----------

not sure if anyone has had this problem before but any guesses, it happens on both of my 2 sandisk extreme pro cards

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Format both and also try a fresh card. Did it matter which slot this was in? Do you write raw and JPG? Do you split across two cards or mirror both?
08-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
i'm shooting video onto one card, stills to the other, but when i swapped cards it still happened. i shoot raw, brought it into photos and it looked funny like this, i'll try formatting and and try my third card and see what happens
08-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar problems like this come up every once is awhile and usually it is a card issue. Since it happens on both your cards, that is less likely. A few questions:
  • Is the corruption visible on review using the camera's LCD? If not, the problem is not likely to be the card or the camera.
  • Have you attempted an in-camera format of the two cards in question? This often corrects this sort of problem.

Steve

08-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used Sandisk cards for years, when I got the K3, I had similar problems along with problems getting the images from the card to the computer. I eventually tried two different brands and have had no problems since.

My first question with card problems is to ask if you have formatted them in the camera they are being used in? It tends to be the most common problem.
08-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
i do usually format the cards in camera after an upload, and i'm using the cable from the camera to the computer to upload.... so formatting is a bad choice or a good one?
08-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrewlang Quote
i do usually format the cards in camera after an upload, and i'm using the cable from the camera to the computer to upload.... so formatting is a bad choice or a good one?
Maybe cable is bad? Try directly reading with an SD card reader?
08-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrewlang Quote
You are doing it right by formatting. Simply deleting can cause issues with the cards. If you can, do as UncleVanya mentioned and try uploading directly from the card to the computer instead of using the cable.

08-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
sweet i'll be taking some pictures tomorrow and see how they turn out when using the card reader. it seems to be happening once every 6 or 10 pictures.
08-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I had a similar problem recently I was able to recover the embedded jpg from the raw file using a piece of freeware called ERawP ... usual health warnings apply.
Not the same quality of course but it might be an image you want to keep.
08-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #11

Format the card(s) in the card reader on your PC or Mac using SD Formatter, which will format the card to factory specifications.
SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
Use the overwrite format option which will format all the sectors and find any bad ones. In camera formatting does a quick format.

Sandisk recommends SD Formatter if the SDHX/SDHC card was partitioned by putting into an incompatible device.
Using SD Formatter Tool to restore full capacity on SDHC/SDXC cards
08-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
You are doing it right by formatting. Simply deleting can cause issues with the cards.
Deleting on the computer? Or on the camera? Or both?

I have had no problems deleting and not reformatting. I almost always delete the photos on the camera. I have only formatted each card only about 1-5 times over a period of several years.
08-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Deleting on the computer? Or on the camera? Or both?

I have had no problems deleting and not reformatting. I almost always delete the photos on the camera. I have only formatted each card only about 1-5 times over a period of several years.
Deleting, whether on computer or camera, leaves “residual” information on the card. Eventually this can lead to card write errors. I do a lot of work for my agency as a CSI, you would be amazed at the information we are able to pull from a card that has been deleted as opposed to one that has been formatted.
08-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know it leaves data on the card rather than erasing the data from the sectors; but deleting files and not formatting shouldn't lead to errors any more than deleting files for a hard drive (or SSD) on a computer would lead to errors. But if you have specific information about that, I would be interested in hearing it.
08-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I know it leaves data on the card rather than erasing the data from the sectors; but deleting files and not formatting shouldn't lead to errors any more than deleting files for a hard drive (or SSD) on a computer would lead to errors. But if you have specific information about that, I would be interested in hearing it.
Funny you should ask. Deleting files in-camera is relatively safe. Formatting cards in-camera has the benefit of removing residual files left by a host computer as well as cleaning up any ambiguous "stuff" that may have crept in courtesy of a host computer. I generally reformat after off-loading files out of convenience and to avoid confusion as to what files are where. I don't archive files on the SD card.

Copy of files to the host computer's drive is safe. Move or delete using the host computer's OS may not be safe due to funky exFAT implementations that may or may not leave the card consistently writable by the camera. Ditto for formatting with the operating system format utility.

As you are probably aware, a clean unmount (eject) of the card before removal is best practice due to risk of filesystem corruption. A corrupt card will often require an out-of-camera format using the utility from the SD Card Association LINK.

Steve