Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Pentax K-x will not go to movie mode.

I am new to this forum, though I have had this Pentax K-X for a while. Not sure where the forum is for the K-x.

I am having a problem as I want to shot movies/video. When I turn the selector to movie mode I am not getting the "movie" screen. It is telling me landscape and I get the general info. I am able to go into the menu and set things in the movie mode. But, I can't shoot a movie. I am confused.

08-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would start with a settings reset, as there could be a setting that's preventing you from accessing video mode.

Another thing, possibly, could be the batteries. I'd try a different set (preferably of different types).

Also, you posted in the right section We don't have dedicated sub-forums for older models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
nope

Did a reset and tried new batteries. Made no difference.
08-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My next guess would be failure of the mode dial. This has had a history of happening after prolonged use. This would also explain why the camera thinks it's in a scene mode.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens if you set the selector to "movie" and then, directly after, press the right arrow on the four-way controller?
08-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What happens if you set the selector to "movie" and then, directly after, press the right arrow on the four-way controller?
Go to movie setting, hit the right arrow and on the screen it says, Sensitivity, Auto Setting, etc..

Further. Prolonged use is not an issue, if anything a lack of use.
08-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agrolingua Quote
Go to movie setting, hit the right arrow and on the screen it says, Sensitivity, Auto Setting, etc..

Further. Prolonged use is not an issue, if anything a lack of use.
So, it allows you to do all the movie settings? After doing all the settings, press 'OK' twice and when you next turn to movie mode, what does it do? Does it then bring up Live View?

08-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, it allows you to do all the movie settings? After doing all the settings, press 'OK' twice and when you next turn to movie mode, what does it do? Does it then bring up Live View?
Can't do that. You get into movie settings and hitting OK will only highlight or affirm the changes. You need to hit menu to get out. Still using menu to get out and going back to movie will still bring up landscape and you must hit LV to get an image. In fact you must hit LV to get an image in any mode the way it looks.
08-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't do that. You get into movie settings and hitting OK will only highlight or affirm the changes. You need to hit menu to get out. Still using menu to get out and going back to movie will still bring up landscape and you must hit LV to get an image. In fact you must hit LV to get an image in any mode the way it looks.
Sounds like something's not quite right. Are you on the latest firmware version?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html
08-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
Not sure about the firmware. Looking at the age of that file I am guessing I am up to date. But, I can try again.
08-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does sound like mode dial failure to me. Do all the other settings work correctly?

Adam

08-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure about the firmware. Looking at the age of that file I am guessing I am up to date. But, I can try again.
No, if you're on the correct firmware, leave that alone. As Adam has said, sounds like a mode dial failure. Does it work correctly in all other mode settings?
08-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hmm, that is kind of relative. It seems OK on the other settings. I can take photos in different settings. I am not an expert, barely a novice. So, I am not positive how the camera should act in each setting or mode.
08-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #14

It should show briefly on the LCD screen what mode you selected when you change the mode dial setting. If it doesn't change or match with the dial setting then most likely you have mode dial failure. The failure could be with only some of the modes and not all. Failure could be caused by worn, dirty or misaligned contacts in the dial.
08-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Any suggestions of what I should do?

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 07:15 PM ----------

The mode setting on the dial often does not match what is on the LCD,

Is it going to be one of those situations where the cost to get it sorted out is way more than the camera is worth?