Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 02:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
In addition, a store needs to be super cool in itself to even be eligable to stock Pentax equipment. This embarasses most stores, who will just deny any real knowledge of the brand.
Being popular is like running for the elections, it's not about telling the truth, it's about getting liked by the majority. Whether you are DPReview or anyone else, you have to tell the majority of people what they like to hear. That's why you get statements in 2018 such as "IBIS is innovation" while I had it already on my K200D 15 years ago (I even had that on my Canon A710IS...about 18 years ago) and in all Pentax models I had since then had IBIS. But please if you want to sell more new camera models, shutttt... ignore what I said, just tell the Nikon users that IBIS = new innovation, and you'll sell a tons of new Nikon gear.

08-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

One of the major differences between Pentax on the one hand and Canon/Nikon on the other is that Pentax cameras use In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), whereas the other two put the stabilisation ("anti-shake") hardware in the lens. There are subtle difference between how the two systems operate, but they are both very effective.

The advantage of IBIS, and one of the reasons I went for Pentax about 7 years ago, is that essentially ALL lenses can be stabilised on a Pentax camera, even a legacy manual lens from the 1960s. That is not the case for Canikon, even if they could accommodate those old mounts. And of course, lenses SHOULD be cheaper if they don't need the SR hardware, though I don't think it quite works out that way.

I was also slightly annoyed by Canon's dominance of the market. It made no sense to me. Certainly, they make good cameras and lenses, but at least until the recent surge by Sony, it seemed to me that Canon had 90%+ of the ILC market. It was as if 90% of cars on the road were Toyotas. Toyotas are good cars, but so are many other brands. Canon's dominance was not proportionate to their quality. So, as a confirmed contrarian, I looked elsewhere. Your sensibilities may differ.
08-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great gear at a great price.
08-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are no "bad" cameras in this current market. Some will offer you lots of tricks and frills that you will never actually use, some will back it up with glitzy marketing to get you to buy more than you need.....and then there is Pentax.

08-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

No I'm not bias...

I just own a Pentax and 5 lenses and come to this forum on a daily-basis.

Which camera is best?

Pentax of course.

No I am no bias
08-30-2018, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

In all honesty when I first got into photography it came down to availability of cheap gear with VERY rugged capabilities.

Canon and Nikon have us beat in certain aspects... But when I started with $200 budget, I was able to get a K-30 and an A50mm and still have money left over for lunch.

Compare the K-30 to the same level Canon or Nikon and you'd likely pick Pentax all day (at least for the conditions I was enduring [rain, sleet, snow, hiking, climbing, bumps and dings and drops...])

Now, get into the $9,000-$10,000 budget and you may be better off with Nikon for dedicated wildlife photography.. Or Canon for videography...
08-30-2018, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

The difference is that Canon and Nikon are triumphs of marketing. Pentax is a triumph of a long history of excellent optics (that can still be mounted on current Pentax DSLRs) and ease of use in its camera bodies.

08-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the 1950s & 60s Pentax was a very popular camera, making SLRs before Nikon or Canon. Pentax was aimed at the amateur photographer as a mid-priced high volume camera. Many brands copied features introduced by Pentax. Even the Beatles used Pentax cameras (Ringo was a proficient photographer). Nikon aimed more at professional photographers from the start. Canon made cameras before either Nikon or Pentax, and in the 1950s their rangefinder models were very popular. Canon always had a model range covering all levels of photographers. Both Nikon and Canon introduced their first SLR models in 1959, with Nikon focused on a single professional system, and Canon trying to offer a range for everyone. Then Nikon owned the pro market, and it took Canon decades to become a big player with the pros.
Nikon remains mainly a camera company, while Canon & Ricoh are much more diversified.
08-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is smaller? Their fans are bipolar -- both loving and hating the company that makes the cameras they use?

Honestly, it is a lot easier to compare individual cameras than to try to paint each brand with a broad brush. Saying things like "Pentax has better build and ergonomics" may be true for some cameras, but not for all they've ever made. For me, Pentax offers an excellent still photography shooting experience with top end image quality with excellent value in the products they release. That's good enough to keep me shooting with them.
08-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by laurel.pruett Quote
What are the differences between these three brands? Is Pentax even a different brand or is it just this website?
Welcome,sorry but it seems you are new to dslr, as am I.

Lots of info on this forum, have fun!
08-30-2018, 08:31 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Oh, Yes, Pentax is a different brand.

They all have their strong and weak points. And many things can be similar.

BUT Pentax is built for a photographer, To do Photography outside in the real world with rain and dust and knocks and bumps.
Yes, I'm bias.....
Ditto.

---------- Post added Aug 30th, 2018 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
No I'm not bias...

I just own a Pentax and 5 lenses and come to this forum on a daily-basis.

Which camera is best?

Pentax of course.

No I am no bias
Or, minute to minute basis, as the case may require. But, no bias, none at all!
08-30-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I guess I have a bias for a reason!

PENTAX_HISTORY_2016_poster.pdf
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote

Thanks for this!
08-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote

very cool!
08-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Reminds me that I'm on a 3-year jump cycle with my camera bodies...

K-30 / 2012
K-3ii / 2015
??? / 2018?

I'm holding out for that K-3ii successor... UNLESS I win that gorgeous K-1/K-1ii

I think it's fate!