Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Reminds me that I'm on a 3-year jump cycle with my camera bodies...

K-30 / 2012
K-3ii / 2015
??? / 2018?

I'm holding out for that K-3ii successor... UNLESS I win that gorgeous K-1/K-1ii

I think it's fate!

Undoubtedly. (Except that I am gonna win it!)

08-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found Nikon n Canon usability a bit crippled even in their pro bodies. Pentax fits like a glove in terms of usability amongst the three.
08-30-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Pentax, Nikon, and Canon have more similarities than differences; but I'll try to summarize the main differences:

a) Legacy: You can't autofocus with a manual focus Pentax lens made in the 1960's, but you can still mount it on a brand new Pentax DSLR and shoot with it. ...
Great summary post. I'll challenge this one statement ever so gently because it's not wrong, but Catch-In-Focus is a exclusive Pentax feature that effectively makes your legacy manual focus lenses function as auto-focus lenses. You're still turning the focus ring, but you are taking advantage of the auto-focus mechanism in your camera and relying on it to fire when it finds focus. This has enabled me to get some great sports photos with really good, really cheap legacy telephoto lenses and some good band photos in low light with fast legacy primes that I either already owned or picked up for pennies on the dollar.

Pentax, more than any other brand has dominated retro compatibility.

1) Catch in Focus
2) In camera image stabilization rather than an option on modern lenses
3) Continuation of the K-Mount vs I've lost count of how many Nikon and Canon lens mount changes. (sorry you need an adaptor to you use your dad's Canon primes on a modern Canon SLR
4) Continued investment in optical view finders.

I also find that if you liked pro-level SLRs, Pentax feels more like them than equivalent alternatives from other brands. The build and ergonomics make more sense to me than going through complicated menu systems to set my exposure. Mid-level Canons and Sonys feel more like a smartphone design to me than a quality SLR.

Certainly, all manufacturers make great cameras on a certain level. Backward compatibility is a huge reason that I love Pentax.
08-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by laurel.pruett Quote
or is it just this website?
There are many brand-specific camera/photo websites.

This one -- Pentax Forums -- is dedicated to all things Pentax. Here, you'll find a strong, vibrant community of users; a very diverse set of sub-forums that encourage discussion, constructive debate, and knowledge-sharing; and active participation by old-timers and new members alike. You'll also see an exceptional database of Pentax and third-party equipment -- second to none, in my opinion. Notwithstanding the Pentax focus, forum members frequently share amazing information on all sorts of topics and themes. The forum is not wholly dedicated to gear and equipment, though; there are picture-sharing themes, general subject threads, and even a 'joke thread'.

Pentax Forums is moderated by an engaged group of folks who calmly and politely step in when necessary.

So, you've found a great web site here. Hope you find useful information to expand your knowledge!

- Craig

08-30-2018, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was looking for an Upgrade to my Nikon 1 V1, Pentax wasn't really on the menu for me at first. Not to be seen in any stores, not recommended by anyone online... I was mostly looking at the 4-digit-models by Nikon, the 2-digit-ones from Canon had some nice features, but were far too expensive for me, the 3- and 4-digit-ones felt confusing and cheap. The Nikon 7xxx were like the 2-digit-Canons too expensive, the 5xxx had some nice features over the 3xxx, but were a little more expensive and were still lacking some things I thought I wanted... I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a D3300 body (or the cheapest kit) with a Sigma 17-50 when I stumbled upon the offerings by Pentax. Two wheels, IBIS, big bright viewfinder, WR, in-body focus motor, tilt-screen, wi-fi... far more affordable than what I would have to spend to get the same from Nikon or Canon or Sony. I stretched my budget a little to get the K-S2 with 18-135 as kit and I can't say that I'm unhappy with my choice so far.
08-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
When I was looking for an Upgrade to my Nikon 1 V1, Pentax wasn't really on the menu for me at first. Not to be seen in any stores, not recommended by anyone online... I was mostly looking at the 4-digit-models by Nikon, the 2-digit-ones from Canon had some nice features, but were far too expensive for me, the 3- and 4-digit-ones felt confusing and cheap. The Nikon 7xxx were like the 2-digit-Canons too expensive, the 5xxx had some nice features over the 3xxx, but were a little more expensive and were still lacking some things I thought I wanted... I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a D3300 body (or the cheapest kit) with a Sigma 17-50 when I stumbled upon the offerings by Pentax. Two wheels, IBIS, big bright viewfinder, WR, in-body focus motor, tilt-screen, wi-fi... far more affordable than what I would have to spend to get the same from Nikon or Canon or Sony. I stretched my budget a little to get the K-S2 with 18-135 as kit and I can't say that I'm unhappy with my choice so far.
This is a great summery of current differences in the form of your personal story, which is shared by many. The K-S2 is a great choice, and even more so with the amazingly compact, capable, well-built DA 18-135mm lens, which also has among the best-performing AF of all lenses for Pentax. I bought my K-S2 at a fantastic price, as my lightweight gem replacing my K-r, even though having my K-5 IIs. I have since acquired the KP, but use all three, depending on the occasion. I never feel wanting for image quality when I choose to take the K-S2! As you state, you cannot get this kind of quality, build, and features in this price range from other brands, not to mention special features like the exclusive, amazingly efficient Pentax Hyper System of operation, which is dependent on 2-wheel availability.

Just be sure to implement Fine Sharpening in your Custom Image menus for both the (default) "Bright" and the "Natural" categories, with your mode dial set to "P" for best access. This will provide superior fine detail in your images. Settings will then apply to "P" "Av" "Tv" "Sv" Tav" and "M" modes. "P" mode is best anyway for fully automated exposure setting, while the Auto green mode is to be avoided as it will block availability to many functions and adjustments.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2018 at 04:17 PM.
08-30-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon has a yellow and black strap, Canon has a black strap with red and white accents, and Pentax has a Red Strap with white letters or a Black Strap with Red letters. Simple really. :LOL:

08-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The difference is that Pentax is only a brand. Nikon and Canon are manufacturers of cameras, while it is Ricoh that manufactures Pentax cameras today.
The thing is that Pentax has long only been a brand as it was Asahi that started to use Pentax as a brand on cameras and lenses and many other products, and the company was named Asahi up until 2004.

It was only during 4 years between 2004-2008 that the company was named Pentax. In 2008 Pentax was sold to Hoya, and Hoya sold Pentax brand to Ricoh 2011.
So many of us have products produced by four different companies, all with Pentax brand.

Canon and Nikon does not seem to be as popular by the manufacturers, as they have only been produced by one company each.
Fortunately, as the subsequent parent companies took ownership, enough intelligence has prevailed for an ongoing continuum of Pentax traditions, like offering some pro-oriented features in well-built amateur-oriented affordable bodies, the use of legacy glass, and certain special features like catch-in-focus and the exclusive Pentax Hyper System.
08-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Just be sure to implement Fine Sharpening in your Custom Image menus for both the (default) "Bright" and the "Natural" categories, with your mode dial set to "P" for best access. This will provide superior fine detail in your images. Settings will then apply to "P" "Av" "Tv" "Sv" Tav" and "M" modes. "P" mode is best anyway for fully automated exposure setting, while the Auto green mode is to be avoided as it will block availability to many functions and adjustments.
Yeah thx, the story how I got a member of the Pentax family is now 2 years old

One more good reason for Pentax is the TAv mode. I don't know about Canon... Nikon may have AutoISO in M, but that's hidden in the ISO menu... with my K-S2 I just turn the mode dial when I'm in challenging lighting conditions.
08-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Yeah thx, the story how I got a member of the Pentax family is now 2 years old

One more good reason for Pentax is the TAv mode. I don't know about Canon... Nikon may have AutoISO in M, but that's hidden in the ISO menu... with my K-S2 I just turn the mode dial when I'm in challenging lighting conditions.
When I looked at a K-1 at Hunt's Photo, the salesman was pumped about TAv so I told him that I had a K-50 and knew about it. It was nice to see someone actually understood why that mode as well as program mode was a benefit! I guess requiring a degree in Photography/Fine Art for salespersons is a benefit for them too!

I admit to looking at a Canon basic kit till I saw the B and H video on YouTube for the K-50. Now I have a KP but remember my K-50 fondly.
08-31-2018, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The real Pentax advantage is exclusivity. Pentax users have all been selected by an extensive rigorous process. Only then are users allowed to "discover" the cameras on their own.

I can't say a lot more until you have completed the ritual and received your discreet tattoo.
08-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can not compare an apple to a guava or to a pear.

Just like eating the fruits, whichever taste good for you is the best.

Try the three cameras and select the one that suits your your taste.
08-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
You can not compare an apple to a guava or to a pear.

Just like eating the fruits, whichever taste good for you is the best.

Try the three cameras and select the one that suits your your taste.
Problem being, where do you find a Pentax camera in a store to get "hands on" to try?
08-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

It seems these days the times of on-line everything is creating a more even playing field for Pentax. More things are purchased this way to the extent of endangerment for all but the largest of brick & mortar stores. As to cameras, I count beyond my 10 fingers in reflecting upon the camera stores that I personally know have closed.

It is those who do some homework, again now easier due to the internet, who discover the Pentax advantages. And also some advantages for Nikon and Canon. They can then hopefully make an informed decision.
08-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Pentax is the coolest.
Even cooler on the Sth Island!