Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Need help with a new 40mm prime limited lens

Hi, I took my brand new 40mm prime limited lens out for a shoot today. While using the viewfinder, all was fine. When I switched to live view things were totally screwy. I have the camera set up for back button focusing. When I hit the back button the focusing ring moves, then the shutter clicks twice, the picture is taken and then the focusing ring moves again. The pictures seem to be in focus but should all of that be happening? I would think it would be really hard on batteries. Should I take the camera off of back button focusing when I'm using the prime? Perhaps I'm not using the right setting for autofocus with live view. Which setting should I be using? Which setting should I use for AF active area? Anything else I could be doing wrong?

One other thing was going screwy. I use Adobe Bridge to review my photos. I had taken a few shots today with my 100mm macro but after I moved some of the photos taken with the 40mm lens, metadata showed information for both lenses. What on earth is going on with that?

Thanks. Joyce Keay

08-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, I took my brand new 40mm prime limited lens out for a shoot today. While using the viewfinder, all was fine. When I switched to live view things were totally screwy. I have the camera set up for back button focusing. When I hit the back button the focusing ring moves, then the shutter clicks twice, the picture is taken and then the focusing ring moves again. The pictures seem to be in focus but should all of that be happening? I would think it would be really hard on batteries. Should I take the camera off of back button focusing when I'm using the prime? Perhaps I'm not using the right setting for autofocus with live view. Which setting should I be using? Which setting should I use for AF active area? Anything else I could be doing wrong?

One other thing was going screwy. I use Adobe Bridge to review my photos. I had taken a few shots today with my 100mm macro but after I moved some of the photos taken with the 40mm lens, metadata showed information for both lenses. What on earth is going on with that?

Thanks. Joyce Keay
If you're using an older camera, it's possible that you have your live view focus type setting set to PDAF. You should change this to contrast detect (the default) and then it will work as expected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: