Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

K70 ISO problem

Hello,

My camera (K70) started taking very dark photos all of a sudden.

While shooting outdoor in day time, with white balance meter in the center, photos just come out dark. I need to set my ISO to at least 1200, and slow the shatter speed to 1/60 so the white balance meter is all the way to the right and then photos look decent. Indoor, I need to set ISO to 12800 or higher, and significantly slow the shatter speed to get half decent photos.
It's really getting annoying.

I reset everything on the camera, thinking I accidentally turned on some setting. And to test I took a photo on Auto setting and camera chose ISO 3200 with 1/60 speed during a bright sunny day. (image included)

A few weeks ago my camera cap came off while traveling and some dust got on the mirror... maybe that has something to do with it?[IMG]1535761658684705856719.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J727P  Photo 
08-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have more than one lens, does this happen with all of them? If it's more than one lens, read this thread to diagnose the camera. For previous models, k-30 and k-50, there have been reports of "aperture block" problems. Read this thread and follow the steps described in the first post. I don't have the k70 (nor the previous models in the series) and I believe such occurrences are rare for k70 cameras, but just to rule this out.
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
08-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try different lens.
08-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look in the front of the camera while setting the camera on Manual mode and adjust to a 2 second shutter speed wide open. Fire the shutter while looking into the lens - see if the iris closes down. It shouldn't but it might be.

08-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wide open means you set the aperture to the number the lowest it will go. Example- F3.5
09-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Press Raw/Fx button many times and take shots in Av mode and auto.

If still taking black photo, go to menu camera icon4, define raw/Fx button to optical preview, then take a shot.
09-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Follow the suggestions in the first post of this thread to help determine if is a settings, lens or control block failure:

09-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

To summarize the above:
  • If you have one, try another lens. If the problem happens with that lens too; the issue is with the body.
  • Test the aperture control function:
    • Auto ISO turned OFF (important)
    • M mode
    • Set shutter speed to something long. 2s as suggested above is good.
    • Set the aperture to full open and observe the iris opening from the front of the lens while depressing the shutter. The aperture should remain full open.
    • Repeat the previous for each full stop in the lens' aperture range. The opening should be step-wise smaller to allow half as much light per step. The sequence goes like this: f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32 with larger numbers being for smaller openings.
    • Let the camera rest overnight and try again
The reason for the second item is to test for aperture control problems, an issue that has plagued the K-30 and K-50 models, but is also (rarely) possible with more recent cameras. There is nothing you as a user can do except seek service. If your camera is still under warranty or recently came off from warranty (within last three months or so) Ricoh should repair without charge.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
09-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
If you have more than one lens, does this happen with all of them? If it's more than one lens, read this thread to diagnose the camera. For previous models, k-30 and k-50, there have been reports of "aperture block" problems. Read this thread and follow the steps described in the first post. I don't have the k70 (nor the previous models in the series) and I believe such occurrences are rare for k70 cameras, but just to rule this out.
Hi thanks for a reply and suggestions.

Unfortunatelly I currently have only one lense that came with the camera (18mm -135mm). But I just blew off the sensors on the lense and took a few photos. The images are within white balance indicator brightness again!

I'll keep monitoring the lense, but I'm so happy I don't have send out the camera. I've only had it since November and got it for it's sturdiness... since I'm in the road for majority of the year.

Thank you guys for help! I wish Pentax were more popular, the community behind it is fantastic!
09-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dudesohungry Quote
Hi thanks for a reply and suggestions.

Unfortunatelly I currently have only one lense that came with the camera (18mm -135mm). But I just blew off the sensors on the lense and took a few photos. The images are within white balance indicator brightness again!

I'll keep monitoring the lense, but I'm so happy I don't have send out the camera. I've only had it since November and got it for it's sturdiness... since I'm in the road for majority of the year.

Thank you guys for help! I wish Pentax were more popular, the community behind it is fantastic!
Be sure to clean of those contacts more thoroughly. Your Pentax DA 18-135mm is a great lens. Very versatile with very good image quality. It is exceptionally well-built with WR construction, but only when attached to a WR-built camera like your fine K-70, or having a corresponding rear cap on it. So good care is important for your equipment. Glad to hear it is just a matter of a clean-up!
09-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dudesohungry Quote
But I just blew off the sensors on the lense and took a few photos. The images are within white balance indicator brightness again!
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Be sure to clean of those contacts more thoroughly.
A gentle buffing with a microfiber cloth is sufficient.

Do keep tabs on the lens aperture operation. If there is a control mechanism issue, it is often intermittent at first.

Steve
09-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #12

Glad you didn't have to send it off! I'm going to follow this thread if you have any updates. I'm a happy K-70 owner since February. The only trouble I've had with mine is occasionally the shutter will not actuate when I'm in timer mode. I still haven't figured out why it's doing that, but it only happens on rare occasions.
09-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tourist Quote
Glad you didn't have to send it off! I'm going to follow this thread if you have any updates. I'm a happy K-70 owner since February. The only trouble I've had with mine is occasionally the shutter will not actuate when I'm in timer mode. I still haven't figured out why it's doing that, but it only happens on rare occasions.
Which timer? Self-Timer (12 or 2?), interval modes?
09-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
pentaxian tourist..."...The only trouble I've had with mine is occasionally the shutter will not actuate when I'm in timer mode. I still haven't figured out why it's doing that, but it only happens on rare occasions."

If you have activated the timer say 12 sec. and it work for first time, activate it again for the next time around to let it work again. If you just press down the shutter, the timer will not work.

If you are in active timer mode and go back to previous mode of shooting , you must cancel out the timer mode, if not the shutter will not work.
09-05-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
pentaxian tourist..."...The only trouble I've had with mine is occasionally the shutter will not actuate when I'm in timer mode. I still haven't figured out why it's doing that, but it only happens on rare occasions."

If you have activated the timer say 12 sec. and it work for first time, activate it again for the next time around to let it work again. If you just press down the shutter, the timer will not work.

If you are in active timer mode and go back to previous mode of shooting , you must cancel out the timer mode, if not the shutter will not work.
I can't speak for the K-70, specifically, but having a K-30, K-5, and K-3 in our arsenal here, I can say this isn't how the timer works on any of those bodies. For all three of the bodies I have, once you set the mode to timer, it stays there until you change it to a different mode. In some instances, if you don't have the shooting mode set as a memory item, turning the camera off and back on works to solve it, but if you have it set to remember your drive mode, the only way to toggle between them is with the four-way selector or the info button. Once it's set to a drive mode, it stays there until you change it, or turn the camera off if you don't have the box checked to save that during power down.

One additional thing to note - on the three bodies I have, pressing the shutter in timer mode will start the timer, but pressing it a second time will cancel the timer and the shutter will not fire at all. Be sure you're not accidentally pressing the shutter twice as that may cancel the shutter altogether.