Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Pentax K-3 Back Green Button

I bought a used Pentax K-3 camera from a UHH'er over a year ago. I have not until recently tried using it much. For some reason I am having a lot of problems setting it up and using it. For some reason I never had so much problems with my K-5, K-20D, or K-100D. I do fear I picked up a "lemon". Addressing only one issue here right now. According to the Instruction/Owners Manual pressing the Green Button on the back of the camera is supposed to "cancel" or "reset" exposure compensation and possibly other settings. I find for my K-3 pressing the button does nothing. It's function assignments seem to be in the "E-Dial Programming" menu. But that entire "area" is confusing and there is more of it than in my other cameras. Oddly I have found that "Back Button Focusing" is controlled by the AF (lock) Button with some other specified or change settings elsewhere. But I don't really care about that for now. But how do I get functionality for various modes with the Green Button? Do I even need to use it?

09-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lamiaceae Quote
Do I even need to use it?
I primarily use the green button when I am using K or M lenses in M-mode, otherwise I usually don't.

You might try a factory reset and then use the settings described in the indepth-review:
Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Except for 1 or 2 changes I am happy with those settings.
09-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

It's exactly where you've found it in the menu. You can make the green button do what you want it to do (within a specified range of options) for each setting on the mode dial. Click into each individual mode. There you will see the options.

As an aside, if you have a lot of questions/issues with the function, perhaps a full camera reset and firmware update to the current firmware would be a wise first step.
09-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-3, but either have or have had the other models you mention. The green button's primary use for me is when I engage the Pentax Hyper System- in "P" or "M" modes. In "P" mode, when I choose to over-ride the camera choice for aperture or shutter speed by using the 2 e-dials. The green button then restores full "P" operation. In (Hyper) "M" mode, the green button will set correct metered exposure without having to twirl the e-dials. Very vast and efficient, especially when spot metering different areas of a scene.

Perhaps the previous owner did some custom assigning of the green button and others as well. A factory-default reset would be a good idea.

09-02-2018, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

But how do I get functionality for various modes with the Green Button? Do I even need to use it?
It is amazingly useful. It appears that your camera has several custom button settings. I seldom suggest doing so, but a full reset might be in order. This is done in two steps:
  1. menu --> setup 3 --> Reset (resets all but C menu options to factory settings)
  2. menu --> C 4 --> Reset Custom Functions
Once that is done, your camera should be essentially as it was from the factory, settings-wise. Updating your firmware is another reasonable action; there have been several nice improvements. Once those things are done, the green button should do as it was intended which includes:
  • Canceling Exposure Compensation (EC + Green)
  • Going from fixed ISO to auto-ISO (ISO + Green)
  • Returning to program line in P mode after override of shutter or aperture setting
  • Applying baseline exposure settings (program line) in M mode when not using aperture ring
  • Applying stop-down exposure shutter settings in M mode when using aperture ring

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-02-2018 at 01:18 PM.
09-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Once that is done, your camera should be essentially as it was from the factory, settings-wise.
There are several settings recommended by the writer(s) of the K-3 review on this site:

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I concur with with most of them and those that I don't like seldom cause problems or confusion.*

Steve

* OK...I leave dynamic range correction and electronic level OFF and leave B mode action at the default. There are a few other points of variance, but those are more a matter of preference than anything else.
09-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Hello Lamiaceae,

the function of the green button varies with the program selected. I use my K3 mainly in AV. For exposure compensation I press the exposure compensation button and turn the cntrol wheel to adjust the setting while I keep the button pressed.

To reset the compensation I press the exposure compensation button and the green button simultaneously.

Works for Iso adjustments the same way.
09-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

It could just be that the button is defective. Reset the settings to factory defaults and check to see if the default functions of the button work. If none of them work as they should the camera probably needs servicing.

09-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
Actually I did update the firmware a month or so ago (July 2018). I think one issue may be that the owner's manual like most were written before the product was even issued and may be obsolete and wrong after a few firmware updates. I actually did make some assignment changes to the E-Wheel Green Button assignments and now it does seem to function but just not per the original owner's manual.
09-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Actually I did update the firmware a month or so ago (July 2018). I think one issue may be that the owner's manual like most were written before the product was even issued and may be obsolete and wrong after a few firmware updates. I actually did make some assignment changes to the E-Wheel Green Button assignments and now it does seem to function but just not per the original owner's manual.
I can assure you that the owner's manual reflects camera's green-button behavior through the current firmware version. What it doesn't cover is stuff like what happens if the green button is pressed in the middle of a exposure bracket sequence in M-mode (nothing) or if user-mapped to do something like Av-shift when using the aperture ring in M mode (again, nothing). FWIW, I have done the former.

Steve
09-03-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #11

There are these references on the green button:
Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
The Usage of Green Button - PentaxForums.com
09-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
These are really good! Highly recommended!

Steve

(...I was vaguely aware of both resources, but not read them until today...my bad )
09-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. As stated earlier I found some of that on my own. But since I have the camera working as I want otherwise I do not want to play with a reset. I finally figured out how to set up the E-dials for for the Green Button for M and P modes. That mostly with help from YouTube videos and Web docs. Now I can get my vintage K & M Series Lenses to function properly on my K-3 and K-5 cameras. My K-20D and K-100D seems to differ and did not take so much research. Interestingly, Takumar M-42 lenses are pretty easy to use.