Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax ESll viewfinder issues.

I have recently purchased a very nice, fully functional ESll, but the viewfinder has an annoying fuzzy horizontal line near the bottom third. When I back my eye away from the finder the line comes into focus as sharp, line of something that may be the edge of one of the mirrors or adhesive. My focus seems to be OK. I have seen this before with a Spotmatic on ebay. I am not willing to open this camera up myself. Any good repair people left to take a look? I may ignore and shoot anyway, but I love this camera otherwise! Thanks!

09-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimboWalker Quote
I have recently purchased a very nice, fully functional ESll, but the viewfinder has an annoying fuzzy horizontal line near the bottom third. When I back my eye away from the finder the line comes into focus as sharp, line of something that may be the edge of one of the mirrors or adhesive. My focus seems to be OK. I have seen this before with a Spotmatic on ebay. I am not willing to open this camera up myself. Any good repair people left to take a look? I may ignore and shoot anyway, but I love this camera otherwise! Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

Give Eric a shout, he can fix it:

Pentax Camera Repairs

Phil.
09-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera repair people have become scarce. I have a good one down the road from me, but if you don’t live by me, or have one locally, give Eric a shout. A good CLA and your ESII will last a long time.
09-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't the ESII have viewfinder blinds? Most cameras don't, so you have to cap the viewfinder to limit stray light altering the meter for a long exposure. But I think the ESII has an internal blind that you can set to block the viewfinder, and that may be what you see. Look up a manual and see if I'm right.

09-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Doesn't the ESII have viewfinder blinds? Most cameras don't, so you have to cap the viewfinder to limit stray light altering the meter for a long exposure. But I think the ESII has an internal blind that you can set to block the viewfinder, and that may be what you see. Look up a manual and see if I'm right.
It does and I agree with your suggestion to the OP...to try that before he sends it off.
09-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I have contacted Eric and he gave a general quote, but he is not taking any more work until December. Yes, I have working blinds in the finder, but that is not the problem. I think a mirror has come loose in the prism and I'm seeing some edge of adhesive? A sharp, uneven black line when I move my eye back from the eyepiece. The camera shows no sign of impact though.