Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 03:35 AM   #1

memory card error

I have an intermittent fault with my K-m which occasinally will not save my shots and gives me a 'memory card error' and I immediately lose the shots I have taken.

The strange thing is that if I switch off the camera and leave for a while, I can take more shots and save (using protect all images) with no error message - until the next time.

Have done the obvious thing and purchased a new memory card, but with still the same frustrating problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Original card was a SanDisk 16gb, replacement a Kingston 32gb

Also camera does not always shut down when turning to off.

09-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #2

Are the batteries fresh or fully charged and the correct battery type set in the menu? Other than cleaning the contacts in the card slot or formatting the cards I can't think of anything.

The camera may just need servicing which it would probably be more economical to replace it.
09-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #3

Use fresh energizer AA batteries and not the rechargeable one. Remove batteries instead of turning it off.
Use the old SD card and not the class ten card formatted in the camera.
If this doesn't work, the camera is a keepsake.
09-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. Already tried those suggestions, such a shame as the camera, although 10 years old and I've owned it for half its life, it has an incredibly low shutter count (under 15 hundred) having checked it on this site. Love the camera otherwise, but will probably need to move on unless there are more suggestions? Just bought a pre-owned K10D with a 12 month warranty, hopefully better luck with that.

09-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have the same issue with my K-x. I was thinking it might be dirt in the slot, so I'm going to try cleaning it out.
09-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

Old rechargeable batteries of K-M, K-X , can not attain 2100 mAh to keep it working good.
New OTC batteries are better.
09-07-2018, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by themorningdeejay Quote
I have an intermittent fault with my K-m which occasinally will not save my shots and gives me a 'memory card error' and I immediately lose the shots I have taken.

The strange thing is that if I switch off the camera and leave for a while, I can take more shots and save (using protect all images) with no error message - until the next time.

Have done the obvious thing and purchased a new memory card, but with still the same frustrating problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Original card was a SanDisk 16gb, replacement a Kingston 32gb

Also camera does not always shut down when turning to off.
I used to have problems like this with my K200D. It seemed to occur more often if I blazed away and then quickly tried to preview a photo before it was finished writing to the SD card. Might have been a glitch in the software, or a drop in battery voltage caused by the rear screen turning on - not sure. Sometimes I could "recover", and in other cases, continuing to shoot would scramble the card, and make it un-recoverable with standard software.

I found it happened more if I was shooting RAW+, so I switched to shooting RAW. This occurred both with cheap lexar cards as well as Sandisk Ultra. I don't think I ever had this problem after I got a Sandisk Extreme card ( it's now my preferred SD card, even though my K30 has never had any problem at all using Sandisk Ultra ).

Not sure your problem is the same (or related), but it's another data point.
09-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, but I think I have it sorted and that there is life in the old camera yet.

Having sat down and pondered the question as to why the camera seemingly fails only when I go on holiday, a pattern emerges. On each occasion that the memory card error message appears, the camera has recently been through an airport scanner. When I get the error message I simply re-format the card and then the camera works. Too much of a coincidence?

Officialdom will state that an airport scanner will not harm a memory card, but plenty of online forums would suggest otherwise. I will now remember to re-format the card after a flight and before taking any shots. I have never lost any images that have already been stored on a card, only failed to save them when getting the error message.

The used K10D that I purchased did not work out due to a fault so that went back, have now purchased a used K-5 which seems a nice piece of kit for an amateur like myself, but will hang on also to the K-m

Again, thanks for all the advice.

09-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by themorningdeejay Quote
Officialdom will state that an airport scanner will not harm a memory card, but plenty of online forums would suggest otherwise. I will now remember to re-format the card after a flight and before taking any shots. I have never lost any images that have already been stored on a card, only failed to save them when getting the error message.
FWIW, I've brought multiple cards through airport scanners, and thankfully, none have caused any problems. Does it happen with any of the other cards you bring along, or just the one in the camera?
09-17-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Hi Roger.

For the sort of use I give the camera, I don't normally need a spare memory card, the 32 gb or 16 gb that I've used in the camera is the only card I take on holiday. But the more I think about it, the fault has only occurred when the camera has been through a scanner, but not every time it's been through a scanner.

I have used the K-m many times when at home here in the UK, without a problem, it is always the first lot of holiday snaps that are lost.

Have now moved on to a K-5 but will get into the routine of re-formatting a disc after a flight.

Many thanks

Pete
09-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have this happen with my K10. In my case, it’s the battery.

They’re as old as the camera (mostly) and even though they show full at first, they aren’t...

I think the battery isn’t producing enough voltage, so when there’s a load on it (writing to the card), it freaks out.

As something in the way of confirmation, if I turn on the flash it immediately shuts down with a ‘battery exhausted’ warning.

A fresh battery and all is well...

-Eric