Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old K-30 suffered the aperture block failure, and I shipped it off to a guy in California (pentaxcamerarepair.com) and he did a nice job repairing it. So far, several thousand actuations later, all is still well. My son is using the K-30 as his DSLR while he's in college, so I fully expect to hear about it if it fails again.

I'll caution you not to immediately accept that this is what's wrong with yours, until you test it pretty thoroughly, though, as it could be something else entirely. Make sure your lens contacts are clean on both the lens and the camera, and check it with the high speed continuous drive feature on the camera, where you hold the shutter and it just keeps snapping. If it straightens up after that, safe bet it's the aperture block. I'd say just ship it to the guy in Cali and wait a couple of weeks. It's only $120.

09-06-2018, 04:31 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Can we imply from this case that the aperture block issue is likely to occur when we have not use a camera for a long time?

Also a K-50 owner, I hope my camera will stay strong, at least until the release of K-3 II successor whenever it is.
09-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #18

Well, there was a story recently on PF about someone who shot birds with a K50 and it was used daily and had an unbelievable number of actuations on it and was still going strong, so that points to daily usage helling to prevent such mishaps (or at least that what I'm telling everyone when I take the camera with me pretty much every day).
09-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Well, there was a story recently on PF about someone who shot birds with a K50 and it was used daily and had an unbelievable number of actuations on it and was still going strong, so that points to daily usage helling to prevent such mishaps (or at least that what I'm telling everyone when I take the camera with me pretty much every day).
Good for me! I usually go out and shoot on a weekly basis. Never thought that it could somehow help prolong the camera lifespan in some sense.

09-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both my K-50 and my K-30 see constant usage and are still going strong after some higher actuations. My older black K-30 developed the AB failure after over 36,000 odd actuations, I bought the AA adapter and continued to use it with that, then gave that camera to my daughter and she's using it now too.
09-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
Good for me! I usually go out and shoot on a weekly basis. Never thought that it could somehow help prolong the camera lifespan in some sense.
It's not that strange. I serviced scuba equipment for some time and the stuff that most work was always the stuff that had been lying around for most of the year, even when rinsed and lubricated. The o-rings, for example, on the regulators that were used weekly invariably looked better. In addition, a friend services electrical power tools, and 75% of what he sees are tools that are used only infrequently. He rarely sees tools that are used on a daily basis. I guess that keeping all of the electromechanical parts moving will prolong their lifespan.
09-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
Can we imply from this case that the aperture block issue is likely to occur when we have not use a camera for a long time?
Mine failed at a point where I used it very sporadically (monthly intervals at the least). Since fixing it, I use it almost daily, and have had no issue.
09-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Yep - my K-50 went under the screwdriver on Jan 4, 2018... still going strong after a few hours of home surgery. It is well worth it.

I did a post of my own procedure on reddit (the pentax subreddit)... I could link you to it (I do not know if it is against forum rules to do reddit links...)
I would appreciate that link, please. Might save my K-30.

09-07-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I would appreciate that link, please. Might save my K-30.
PM sent!
09-07-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While their is some danger that damage might occur, I brought a k50 back from the dead by setting the image size to 5mp and quickly blasting off 100 shots by holding down the shutter button. The k50 is still working some months later. All in all though, if the guy in California (Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair) can do this reliably for $100 plus shipping it's a good deal.