Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #1

Need help setting up Pentax K-50 please!!!

Hi All. This is my first post! I bought a Pentax K-50 kit a couple of years ago and really haven't used it much nor do I know how to. As a mater of fact, I think I screwed up the settings so bad that I now can't even take a picture in my office of a coffee cup on my desk. . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

09-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jameson41 Quote
I now can't even take a picture in my office of a coffee cup on my desk.
Does the picture come out black?

With the kit lens, put the camera on AUTO mode (green setting at the wheel) and try to snap some shots letting the camera do the work. Anything?
09-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
With it set on auto mode it seems like it's not getting enough light in the camera. Some pictures are black. Some are very dark. Even taking a picture of my computer screen seems a bit dark. Not a bright and vibrant pic one would expect. It keeps flashing ISO 3200 in red.
09-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can navigate to it in the settings there is a reset to factory settings in there. Tell us more of what's happening.

09-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Performed reset. If I look through the viewfinder in order to take the pic they come out black. If I use the screen on the back, auto flash engages and it'll take a pic but with a delay in the shutter ( blurry pic).
09-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera new or used?
09-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the camera new or used?
It's used now. I bought the camera brand new a few years ago. Always stored in the bag that came with it with all dust caps on. I always kept it in the factory settings. messed around with the settings and now the pics look like crap or do not come out correct.

09-05-2018, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Oh man. It might have the dreaded aperture motor issue.

K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - PentaxForums.com

K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) - PentaxForums.com

^ Take a look at both of those threads.

temporary fix

^ If it does, try this fix.
09-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's used now. I bought the camera brand new a few years ago. Always stored in the bag that came with it with all dust caps on. I always kept it in the factory settings. messed around with the settings and now the pics look like crap or do not come out correct.
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yup. that's what I was going to say too. I had a K-50 die this way. It was under warranty luckily.
09-05-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Great. This looks fun. Back into the bag and the basement until the winter.

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 02:52 PM ----------

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. This looks fairly complicated for me so I'm net even going to attempt to try it until the winter. If I took it somewhere to get fixed, what would I expect to pay?
09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have any manual aperture lenses you can use them in the M mode using Green button metering. That should work without modification to the camera other than setting some options if you haven't done it before. This will only work with a lens with a manual aperture ring - "A" type setting rings can be used as long as you directly set the aperture rather than using the camera to set aperture.
09-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
unfortunately the only lenses I have are the two that came with the camera.
09-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 02:52 PM ----------

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. This looks fairly complicated for me so I'm net even going to attempt to try it until the winter. If I took it somewhere to get fixed, what would I expect to pay?
If it does end up being the aperture motor, you're gonna get quotes from $100 to about $300. The only shop that is Ricoh/Pentax approved is Precision Camera. They're more than likely going to swap the "green" aperture motor with another "green" one that will eventually fail once again. The other fixes involve tearing down the camera & filing down the "horseshoe" in the aperture motor. It'll fail again.

The only true fix is to swap the "green" motor with a "white" one. It requires a little bit of soldering. You can get a local camera shop or an electrician to do it, but you'll have to source a "white" motor from eBay or somewhere else.
09-05-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Closed Account

I had the aperture motor issue on mine this summer. I ripped it apart, filed and sanded the corners of the metal piece inside the motor and put it all back together. I have shot a few thousand frames since then without incident.
09-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
temporary fix

^ If it does, try this fix.
QuoteOriginally posted by 35wailin Quote
I had the aperture motor issue on mine this summer. I ripped it apart, filed and sanded the corners of the metal piece inside the motor and put it all back together. I have
Yep - my K-50 went under the screwdriver on Jan 4, 2018... still going strong after a few hours of home surgery. It is well worth it.

I did a post of my own procedure on reddit (the pentax subreddit)... I could link you to it (I do not know if it is against forum rules to do reddit links...)