Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-1 video lens?

Hello,
I know that the k-1 is not a strong video camera, but I want to try it anyway. What type of lens should I use?
Thank you,
Terry

09-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You ideally want a fast-ish constant aperture lens with silent AF and/or a smooth manual focusing ring. The 24-70mm, for instance, would be a good choice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You ideally want a fast-ish constant aperture lens with silent AF and/or a smooth manual focusing ring. The 24-70mm, for instance, would be a good choice.
Thank you, Adam. I recently bought the 24-70, and love it. That's what I will use, then.
Regards,
Terry
09-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,I know that the k-1 is not a strong video camera, but I want to try it anyway. What type of lens should I use?Thank you,Terry
I just play around with videos from time to time on my K-3, so I am not really skilled when it comes to video.
Nevertheless here are some thoughts I have on the topic:

- The video resolution is not really high so you don't need the sharpest lenses available, your main concern will be focal length and aperture according to your desired video settings (low-light?, indoor/outdoor? how thight is the area? something like this)
- I don't know about the K-1 but when I change the aperture with the camera on my K-3 during filming my video freezes for a short moment, therefore I recommend a lens with aperture ring to change it manually - preferably a lens with de-clicked aperture ring (preset lenses are a cheap possibility (Helios 44, Meyer Optik Lydith 30mm, ....) or some other old lenses which can be easily converted to a de-clicked aperture ring, new possibilities would be available from Samyang.

edit: If the K-1 doesn't freeze when changing aperture or if you don't have any changing lighting conditions during filming your kit-lens or in your case your D-FA 24-70mm will be fine too.

Last edited by othar; 09-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.
09-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I just play around with videos from time to time on my K-3, so I am not really skilled when it comes to video.
Nevertheless here are some thoughts I have on the topic:

- The video resolution is not really high so you don't need the sharpest lenses available, your main concern will be focal length and aperture according to your desired video settings (low-light?, indoor/outdoor? how thight is the area? something like this)
- I don't know about the K-1 but when I cange the aperture with the camera on my K-3 during filming my video freezes for a short moment, therefore I recommend a lens with aperture ring to change it manually - preferably a lens with de-clicked aperture ring (preset lenses are a cheap possibility (Helios 44, Meyer Optik Lydith 30mm, ....) or some other old lenses which can be easily converted to a de-clicked aperture ring, new possibilities would be available from Samyang.

edit: If the K-1 doesn't freeze when changing aperture or if you don't have any changing lighting conditions during filming your kit-lens or in your case your D-FA 24-70mm will be fine too.
Thank you very much. My expectations are not that high, but 1080 should be fine. My Son knows how to edit, so why not try it.
Terry
09-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

Does the K1 autofocus in video if face tracking?

09-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
Does the K1 autofocus in video if face tracking?
Sorry, but I haven't tried it yet.
Terry

09-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #8

I ask because I tried half-heartedly once just to see what it was about. Had my 50mm HD FA* attached. I could see from the LCD that face tracking was working but the autofocus did not unless you half-pressed the shutter button.

I don't do video so apologies if my question is a stupid one.