Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF 540 problem

HI

I am having problems getting my 540 flash (old version) to communicate with my K3. The Camera is not aware that the flash is mounted.. the Zoom function is not working and the camera does not recognize the flash thus the shutter speed is based upon ambient readings. The flash is set to P=TTL and is in master mode. The zoom is in auto. The only camera exposure mode that gets correct exposure is X mode.

When in wireless mode, the flash is triggered and the exposure is better, but I cannot get the flash into P-TTL mode (Only A or manual).

This was working the last time i tried to use the flash which was about a year ago....

Suggestions as what is the culprit, camera or flash?

09-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the flash fire when you press the shutter?

I have the “old” version and it works properly in P-TTL on both my K3 and K-1. Are you pushing the switch all the way to the “ON” position (seems like a silly question) at the center stop the flash will be in wireless mode and you will only have access to A or M modes.
09-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had similar issues that were solved by cleaning the contacts between the hot shoe and flash mount. I've used alcohol and pencil eraser to clean the contacts.
09-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all

The flash fires but unless in X mode, overexposes
I have pushed the switch all the way and I have cleaned the contacts on both camera and flash....