Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K70 Interval Movie Problems

I am having battery problems with my K70.

I have a Kumquat tree that is blossoming and I have been taking Interval Movies to capture the blossoms as they open up.

The problem is that the battery dies after about 90 shots. The camera is set for Auto ISO 6400, F11 on the P mode with exposures every 7 minutes. The max seems to be 500 exposures but I get less than 100 shots before the battery dies.

I got some good movies but they always seem to stop before the real action happens. Ideally all 500 shots would be exposed so that I get from bud to full open.

Any thoughts of what I may be doing wrong? No flash used.

09-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reduce the pixel size to small or medium size.
Test the battery if it reaches the maximum voltage.
09-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also try interval shooting instead of interval movie, as this may use less power. Also, make sure the LCD is off.

Still, for timelapses of this size it's best to get a power adapter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

How long are the exposures? Long exposures eat more battery. If that's the issue then open up the lens wider.

09-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would also try interval shooting instead of interval movie, as this may use less power. Also, make sure the LCD is off.

Still, for timelapses of this size it's best to get a power adapter.
Just an update to Adams post, I didn't know they had one for the K-70.
Thanks Adam

Ricoh part # AC Adapter Kit K-AC168
09-23-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just an update to Adams post, I didn't know they had one for the K-70.
Thanks Adam

Ricoh part # AC Adapter Kit K-AC168
Do a search on Amazon and you will find both the Ricoh and an after market power supply for the K70 made by HQRP. I have the aftermarket model and it works fine doing long exposure Astro Photography in my K70 with no ill effects. I also suspect it would work in any body that uses the D-LI109 Battery