Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

16-50 DA* Focus broken

My Pentax DA* 16-50 2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM suddenly stopped focusing. It was working fine. And then it wasn't. Now I can turn the focus ring and it doesn't stop. I can turn forever. The motor does not make a sound so it clearly is not engaging.

The estimated repair price from Precision Camera is $212. It's my favorite lens, but at 7 years old and, to be honest, more cell phone photography than SLR, I'm a little concerned that within a few more years I'll move to either a full-frame Pentax or let my SLR use atrophy.

I'm seeking opinions:
- is it likely that this repair estimate is accurate or more likely that they will charge more (or less) after seeing the lens?
- is it likely that a repair will return the lens to pristine condition?
- should I go ahead with the repair at this cost?

09-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can convert it to screw drive for no cost if you have access to an appropriate camera body and some confidence with a computer. I managed it years ago with a mate's K10D.

Video instructions HERE

If not, send it to @UncleVanya and he'll do it for you for a nominal fee.

But if silent focus is important to you, the quoted fee sounds about right and I'd go for it.
09-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's too bad because that's a wonderful lens. Assuming it will focus manually (if the switch is set to MF), I've heard of people having success "exercising" the focus a bit, then re-engaging AF.
09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sandy,
So my problem is a failed SDM? My symptoms are consistent with that? I had no idea that there are multiple focus mechanisms, never mind that they are programmable! Thank you!!!!!
Steve

09-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smh2005 Quote
My Pentax DA* 16-50 2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM suddenly stopped focusing. It was working fine. And then it wasn't. Now I can turn the focus ring and it doesn't stop. I can turn forever. The motor does not make a sound so it clearly is not engaging.

The estimated repair price from Precision Camera is $212. It's my favorite lens, but at 7 years old and, to be honest, more cell phone photography than SLR, I'm a little concerned that within a few more years I'll move to either a full-frame Pentax or let my SLR use atrophy.

I'm seeking opinions:
- is it likely that this repair estimate is accurate or more likely that they will charge more (or less) after seeing the lens?
- is it likely that a repair will return the lens to pristine condition?
- should I go ahead with the repair at this cost?
Does the lens focus manually? Set the body to manual focus and the lens to manual focus and turn the focus ring. At some point it should come into focus. If it does then yes sdm likely died. If it doesn't then more may be wrong.

Conversion to screw drive is possible and isn't hard if you are technical and you have a sufficiently old camera. What DSLR bodies do you have? As Sandy mentioned I also offer a conversion service. I charge $30 plus you pay shipping both ways.

Let me know if you have questions my intent is to return these lenses to their glory rather than have them collecting dust.

Oh and turning forever without stopping is normal for that lens. That series of DA* lenses works that way due to the type of quickshift clutch it uses. It never hits a hard stop at either end as far as the focus ring is concerned.
09-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smh2005 Quote
...Now I can turn the focus ring and it doesn't stop. I can turn forever...
That part sounds like ordinary normal behavior. As you turn the ring it should move easily as the focus distance changes, until you reach infinity or close focus, then you should feel a light click and the resistance increases. You can keep turning forever at that increased resistance. Reverse direction and it should be easier to rotate again, until you hit the other end of focus and resistance increases.

Does manual focus work? Try it with the AF/MF switch in both positions.

Does the focus gauge move as you turn the focus ring?
09-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To replace the lens with a used one will cost you $400. If it’s your favorite then you should repair it or convert it. I would probably have it repaired as non screw drive lenses sell for more on the used market.