Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pixel shift processing

I have recently aquired a Pentax K1. I use faststone for viewing and light jpg processing. I use Darktable for raw processing. I'm i correct that neither will process pixel shift files ?. What software does? From what I've found through google Raw therapy will process pixel shift files, is this correct?

09-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee or Digital Camera Utility
09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also develop the pixel shift in camera and save as a .tiff on the SD card.
09-12-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. Does anyone have any tutorials for using Rawtherapee with Pixel Shift? I'd like somewhere to start with the kit.

09-12-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silkypix DS is also a software that will process PS images
09-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...or use dcrawps to generate a TIFF. which I then process in darktable.
dcrawps also allows you to account/correct for any movement between frames.
It's command line only.

Cheers,
Terry
09-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have been using Raw Therapee to process the PS files.
Its the best program to do it so far as it can remove most (if not all) movement artifacts and has additional controls if thats necessary.

There is a thread here for RT.
The Squirrel Mafia's RawTherapee thread. Now with 50% more excellence & win! - PentaxForums.com

09-13-2018, 03:13 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. Does anyone have any tutorials for using Rawtherapee with Pixel Shift? I'd like somewhere to start with the kit.
It isn't too hard. Basically you choose a PS RAW file and go to the RAW development section (it looks like a checker board). There is a drop down menu there where you can choose the raw development tool you want. Default is usually Amaze. Switch that to pixel shift. It defaults to automatic, which works for me most of the time and you can choose which image you want for your base image. I often check the "motion mask" which will show in green any place where there was movement in your image. If there is too much movement you are probably best off not bothering with pixel shift. There are a lot of things you can do otherwise in the program -- tweaking exposure, noise reduction, but I tend to do my final processing in Lightroom, mainly because I am more familiar with that program.

Hit control-S to save the image and choose 16 bit TIFF if you want to develop it some more with a different tool or if you are happy with the settings otherwise you could just save it as a jpeg.
09-13-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It isn't too hard. Basically you choose a PS RAW file and go to the RAW development section (it looks like a checker board). There is a drop down menu there where you can choose the raw development tool you want. Default is usually Amaze. Switch that to pixel shift. It defaults to automatic, which works for me most of the time and you can choose which image you want for your base image. I often check the "motion mask" which will show in green any place where there was movement in your image. If there is too much movement you are probably best off not bothering with pixel shift. There are a lot of things you can do otherwise in the program -- tweaking exposure, noise reduction, but I tend to do my final processing in Lightroom, mainly because I am more familiar with that program.

Hit control-S to save the image and choose 16 bit TIFF if you want to develop it some more with a different tool or if you are happy with the settings otherwise you could just save it as a jpeg.
Mainly the same way I go with RT.

In addition in the color tab (third from left) I set ProPhoto RGB as working space profile and choose the ProPhoto RGB compatible RT_large_gsRGB RGB color profile for the 16 bit tiff output file. Sometimes I adjust EV so that it‘s similar to exposure to the right. So finest color gradations should be possible within the following steps.

That‘s the base for further workout in Capture One Pro.

Last edited by acoufap; 09-13-2018 at 07:10 AM.
09-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great everyone. I have Rawtherapee, Digital camera utility and Silky pics. And I'll get a copy of dcrawps. I'll try them all and see which works for me. Thank you all very much.