Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Pentax Zoom 90-WR Infrared remote not working

Hey there!
I acquired a pentax zoom 90 wr camera a few months ago. The infrared remote didn't work when I picked it up so I bought some new CR1620 batteries and put them inside, however I had to guess which side way the battery went in because the manual provides no instructions, there are no markings to indicate which way it goes in and the old battery fell out before I could what way it went in. The remote still doesn't work with the camera. I tried 2 different batteries (both 3v energizer cr1620 batteries) and put them in different ways. I also checked them with a multimeter and they do measure 3v.
I read on another thread that pressing the drive button puts the camera into "IR" mode but I can't get IR mode, it skips from the 2 self timer modes to the continuous shooting, to the multiple exposure mode and then to interval shooting- it never shows that the remote is being used. The manual states that removing the remote should engage this mode but it doesn't
I've been looking at various but have had no success, could anyone help me figure out what the issue is causing this? If you need more information about the problem I'm having just ask, I'd love to get this issue resolved.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 09-13-18 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by axrnc Quote
I've been looking at various but have had no success
Oops, forgot a word! That should be "I've been looking at various threads but have had no success"

09-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a crazy idea here, but if you have a phone with an IR emitter (like a Samsung), try the DSLR Remote app and see if the camera responds to that.
09-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Just a crazy idea here, but if you have a phone with an IR emitter (like a Samsung), try the DSLR Remote app and see if the camera responds to that.
Seems like an idea that would work, however, I'm pretty certain iphones don't have an IR emitter I think I have a few infrared transmitters and reciever diodes from an arduino kit. Would it be possible to use them to test the camera with infrared from them or test if the remote emits infrared?
11-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

Same Problem

Hiii, im having the same issue, did u make it work??

11-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just fixed my 90wr's remote, but I don't think you are having a remote problem...

When I remove the remote from the camera, a pictogram of the remote shows on the top LCD, independent of whether the remote is working, so there's got to be some kind of a switch on the body that lets it know the remote is "deployed".

That said, I found the battery replacement pretty fiddly. It took me a couple of tries to get it lined up right (even though I knew it was in the right way, it wants to slide around somewhat).
The + side of the battery goes away from the circuit parts as the little metal lever will contact it from the side. The - side of the battery should contact the middle battery terminal. Make sure it doesn't slide around when you reassemble the circuit board in the remote, or it won't work.

I'm pretty sure none of the iPhones do IR. If you have another Pentax compatible remote (like for a SLR), that might work...

I hope that helps someone...

-Eric
Closed Thread