Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
There was a thread having to do with ND filters recently that I posted in. Below is a shortcut to the post I placed in case you are interested. Of course there are other posts there that you can observe also if needed. Please note that you do not need to meter prior to placing an ND filter on your lens. It may be a preference to use that method or not, but is not completely necessary.

Using ND filters - PentaxForums.com
Yes, I posted that question. The replies just weren't quite clear enough for me. I did appreciate every one of them, though.
Terry

---------- Post added 09-13-18 at 04:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I use the DA*200 ƒ2.8

On the K-1

On the K-3 with the HD DA 1.4 TC

Third party 200 for Pentax? I actually don't know of any, maybe check the lens data base.
That is beautiful. Thank you.
Terry

09-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Yes, I posted that question. The replies just weren't quite clear enough for me. I did appreciate every one of them, though.
Terry

After going through the steps yourself you will see what works and how.
09-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hello,
I have the k1. Can I put it in crop mode, and use some of the long focal length DA lenses?
Thank you,
Terry
Others have answer your basic question. I'll add something that I haven't spotted here.

The K-1-series also has "Square" crop mode. About 24 MP. All it really gives you is a visual indication in the viewfinder, which some people may find useful, while others don't.

I discussed it at the DPReview thread below. (Including how to recover images back to 36 MP in Lightroom).

Revisiting SQUARE crop on K-1-series
09-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use the DA*200 ƒ2.8

On the K-1

Third party 200 for Pentax? I actually don't know of any, maybe check the lens data base.
That's a great shot of the bird. When using the DA 200, what focal length do you end up with on your K-1?
Thank you,
Terry

09-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

That's a great shot of the bird. When using the DA 200, what focal length do you end up with on your K-1?
Thank you,
Terry
200mm is 200 mm no matter what you're shooting on. On a K-3 it's 300mm equivalent. On a K-1 it's 200mm equivalent, because these equivalents are based on 35mm. However, if you are used to shooting APS-c it's about the equivalent of a 135mm APS-c lens.
09-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When using the DA 200, what focal length do you end up with on your K-1
200 mm because it is a 200mm lens. .. Forget everything you have ever heard about equivalent focal length.
09-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
200mm is 200 mm no matter what you're shooting on. On a K-3 it's 300mm equivalent. On a K-1 it's 200mm equivalent, because these equivalents are based on 35mm. However, if you are used to shooting APS-c it's about the equivalent of a 135mm APS-c lens.
Thank you, Norm.
Terry

---------- Post added 09-14-18 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
200 mm because it is a 200mm lens. .. Forget everything you have ever heard about equivalent focal length.
Thank you, Peter. I looked at that lens at BH, and it is beautiful. Just might end up with it.
Terry

09-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
15. By default crop mode will automatically turn itself on for non-FF lenses.
I purposely set my K1 onto Full Frame and leave it there at all times. I do put my 40 and 70 Limiteds on ...vignetting doesn't seem to be a problem and I'm assuming my K1 is still on FF mode with these two lenses on the K1. Are you saying that my K1 will automatically switch from the FF setting to crop mode when I attach either the 40 or 70 Limited ?
09-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I purposely set my K1 onto Full Frame and leave it there at all times. I do put my 40 and 70 Limiteds on ...vignetting doesn't seem to be a problem and I'm assuming my K1 is still on FF mode with these two lenses on the K1. Are you saying that my K1 will automatically switch from the FF setting to crop mode when I attach either the 40 or 70 Limited ?
Turn crop mode off in the settings. All Pentax lenses appear complete with vignetting, even vignetted images can give me 30 MP, depending on how I crop.
09-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Since you changed the crop setting, your camera should always shoot in FF mode. But by default the crop setting is "auto".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Use manual exposure mode and meter for the scene without a filter. Put the filter on the lens. Then if it is a 10 stop filter, adjust the shutter speed by 10 stops.
Peter,
I tried your method to adjust shutter speed when using ND filters. That is exactly what I wanted. It's now my method. I plan to practice using my Lee Big Stopper next week, when it stops raining. Again, thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 09-14-18 at 02:20 PM ----------

I use the DA*200 ƒ2.8

On the K-1

Hello again Norm,
Are both the DA 200 and DA 300 lenses FF compatible? They are both really nice.
Thank you,
Terry
09-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since you changed the crop setting, your camera should always shoot in FF mode. But by default the crop setting is "auto".

---------- Post added 09-14-18 at 05:35 PM ----------

Turn crop mode off in the settings. All Pentax lenses appear complete with vignetting, even vignetted images can give me 30 MP, depending on how I crop.
Thanks Adam and Norm for your info.
09-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Adam and Norm for your info
You will easily notice if the camera is in crop (or Auto-crop) mode. You will see the black border in the viewfinder
09-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

You will easily notice if the camera is in crop (or Auto-crop) mode. You will see the black border in the viewfinder
Quite right. Sort of reminded me of an old rangefinder with interchangeable lenses when I had the camera in crop mode.
09-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried your method to adjust shutter speed when using ND filters. That is exactly what I wanted. It's now my method. I plan to practice using my Lee Big Stopper next week, when it stops raining. Again, thank you.
As others pointed out you can take a reading with the ND in place also. But I find my method works best for me especially as I am often using a Graduated ND filter in combination with the ND. In this case i will be spot metering various points in the scene first to decide on which strength Grad to use. I do this before framing the scene how I want it, and then focusing. Then it is AF off and slot the filters in place.