Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
For what it's worth: Sensor Damage From Sensor Gel Stick: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Some folks swear by them, as noted in the above article but personally, I'll stick (no pun intended) to the tried and true.
This is a perfect example of someone not researching the product correctly, and using the incorrect type for the camera. Actually, if you follow the links, you'll fnd the chosen product is unbranded. I wouldn't dare use that on any camera of mine

It's well-known that Sony's SLT and mirrorless cameras require a different gel compound with less adhesion than something like the O-ICK1. I use the Eyelead SCK-1B on my Hasselblad HV (Sony A99) and A7 MkII, a stick specifically designed for those sensors. Indeed, the adhesion isn't quite so strong, and therefore it's not always as effective, sometimes requiring a couple of applications where only one would be required with the Pentax product. But, I've not had one single problem with it. No residue after several disciplined cleaning sessions when following the correct procedure..

09-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I used to have a ton of dust spots on my sensor, and a rocket blower got rid of all of them. So, definitely try that first. It's cheap and can be used an unlimited number of times. It's also good for getting dust off lenses as well.
This!
09-26-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This is a perfect example of someone not researching the product correctly, and using the incorrect type for the camera. Actually, if you follow the links, you'll fnd the chosen product is unbranded. I wouldn't dare use that on any camera of mine

It's well-known that Sony's SLT and mirrorless cameras require a different gel compound with less adhesion than something like the O-ICK1. I use the Eyelead SCK-1B on my Hasselblad HV (Sony A99) and A7 MkII, a stick specifically designed for those sensors. Indeed, the adhesion isn't quite so strong, and therefore it's not always as effective, sometimes requiring a couple of applications where only one would be required with the Pentax product. But, I've not had one single problem with it. No residue after several disciplined cleaning sessions when following the correct procedure..
Fair enough. I should perhaps give it a try one of these days when I'm feeling adventurous .
09-27-2018, 01:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

My problem was that some "lollipop" particles, not dust or debris, stuck to the sensor and there was no way to pull them away except to send the camera for assistance.

09-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
My problem was that some "lollipop" particles, not dust or debris, stuck to the sensor and there was no way to pull them away except to send the camera for assistance.
Hmm... That sounds as if the gel had degraded. Was that a genuine O-ICK1, supplied in a plastic pack and branded as Pentax? There are some fakes being sold online as Pentax, even with the same shape and colour of stick and gel, but they don't come in that plastic pack...
09-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hmm... That sounds as if the gel had degraded. Was that a genuine O-ICK1, supplied in a plastic pack and branded as Pentax? There are some fakes being sold online as Pentax, even with the same shape and colour of stick and gel, but they don't come in that plastic pack...
yep, original stick from Pentax... and I can count other four or five people who have had the same behavior.
09-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yep, original stick from Pentax... and I can count other four or five people who have had the same behavior.
Same here. Also a genuine Pentax stick. Left sticky debris all over the sensor - a wet clean was needed to sort it out. It would seem that these sticks dry up or degrade over time. Beware !

09-27-2018, 01:50 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Same here. Also a genuine Pentax stick. Left sticky debris all over the sensor - a wet clean was needed to sort it out. It would seem that these sticks dry up or degrade over time. Beware !
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the information.

I guess a good test would be to use the gel stick on the supplied sticky paper first, before applying it to the sensor, to see if any gel deposits are left on the paper...
09-27-2018, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the information.

I guess a good test would be to use the gel stick on the supplied sticky paper first, before applying it to the sensor, to see if any gel deposits are left on the paper...
Probably a better test would be to try it on a clean glass filter first and have a good look to see if it left any residue.
09-27-2018, 01:58 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Probably a better test would be to try it on a clean glass filter first and have a good look to see if it left any residue.
That's a great idea. I'll be doing that from now on, just as a precaution
10-08-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Following up... I didn't exactly follow BigMackCam's procedures to the letter but it worked out anyway. I did the rocket blower, and while that did a pretty fair job on the K-3ii there were still many spots on the K-30 sensor. I'd ordered Dust Patrol 17mm swabs and Gamma solution, but was too cheap to also spring for the Pentax gel sticks (currently ~$50). For some reason they took several weeks to arrive, and I did the job yesterday. Two attempts to really get it clean. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-08-2018, 04:56 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I believe a lot of problems with gel sticks have to do with people not cleaning them properly after each application. They also tend to break down over time if exposed to high humidity or large temperature swings.

OTOH, a clean swab, a drop of juice, followed by a rocket blower always worked for me. I've never had to clean sensor more than once a year though; I'd prefer to clone them out in post if I can and only resort to a wet clean if the number of dust bunnies exceeded my patience threshold.
I had used the Pentax stick on my K-1 a few times with great results for removing some spots that were persisting after roecket blower use. I even bought a magnifying glass and light system for viewing the sensor clearly. A few days ago I tried to quickly clean the sensor from one big spot as I had an important shooting. As it was late I didn't get enough precautions (I always perform it on a clean surface and also on a clean soft cloth. Adding the magnifying lens system though (for first time) gave me a very clear view of the sensor (I could see all the dsut particles etc) but made the cleaning more difficult as I had to hold the stick from its end in order to reach the sensor... And as a result the stick slipped from my hand and fell on my desk... I used a new sticky paper to clean its surface but also the side surfaces and after checking it that I could see no dirt on it, I tried to clean the spot on the sensor... Then disaster struck! It left so much dirt and dust on the sensor that I was panicked that I ruined my sensor/camera!

First thing in the morning was to take my camera to proffesionals for cleaning and thanks god, no problem it is clean again, though the technician told me that it had a lot of dirt and oilly marks on a spot that took him time to completely remove them...

I lost half a day of the shooting I was planning but more important was the fear and anxiety that I ruined my camera... So my conclusion is, if you are very scholastic and you can do things in the proper way without any rushing, the sticks work as advertised and remove the dirt from your sensor. But you have to be really careful and with a steady hand otherwise just avoid this method (or any method) and take your camera to a professional even though it costs a lot more...