Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

K1 user defined focal length

I have located an old 2x teleconverter (no brand marking on it),I used on my k1000 35mm film body, back in the day, (which I still have), it accepts my ol KR lenses, where my K1 will not, due to the extra pin, but that's okay, I don't want to use the old Dietz 28 or the Vivitar 70-300 directly on my K1 w/o the teleconverter, which DOES fit nicely on my K1-no issues, (okay,...it won't pass autofocus drive signals, but it does pass acquired focus signal, and that's good enough for me, vs. buying a longer lens than my Sigma 400). But when I pair the tele-converter with my Tamron 70-300mm or my Sigma 400mm, or even the old Dietz 26 the K1 wants me to input a beginning focal length and I am not sure what to put in, especially on the 70-300, or any other telephoto for that matter? The K1 always wants to know the focal length on my Rokinon 14mm prime wide angle too, (manual focus), but it doesn't have a 14mm choice to select, but that's a different question..
(1) - So my question is 3 part, do I calculate the focal length to input to the K1 applying the magnification factor of the tele-converter?
(2) - Do I set the focal length selection for the K1 to the minimum focal length or the longer for a telephoto lens, (whether or not I calculate 2x magnification)?
(3) - Do I have to select theses focal length baselines EVERY time I mount the lens and turn the camera on, or can I teach my camera my lenses are part of it's family and it should recognize them going forward?

Secondarily, is there a fix for the KR mount lenses extra pin problem? I can usually get them off because the extra pin is spring loaded, but I have to apply an uncomfortable amount of force to do so and I don't want to damage my K1. Photos of the teleconverter are below.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

With the zoons you will just have to enter an average figure based on your likely most used range ..... So if you are shooting mainly at the long end then use 200, or 250. It's never going to be perfect. You will have to enter a value every time, unless you switch off the Shake Reduction.
09-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To supplement the above, you should enter the effective focal length (what is set on the lens multiplied by 2 given that your converter is a 2x).

The RICOH pin can be removed. If you search the forum you should be able to find some discussion of this.
09-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
With the zoons you will just have to enter an average figure based on your likely most used range ..... So if you are shooting mainly at the long end then use 200, or 250. It's never going to be perfect. You will have to enter a value every time, unless you switch off the Shake Reduction.
Thx. I appreciate it!

---------- Post added 09-16-18 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
To supplement the above, you should enter the effective focal length (what is set on the lens multiplied by 2 given that your converter is a 2x).

The RICOH pin can be removed. If you search the forum you should be able to find some discussion of this.
Thanks. I appreciate the info.