Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor Cleaning

All,

So, I've done everything I can to clean and check the non-sensor parts of my K-3. Whichever lens I use, however I clean the mirrors, the spots seen in the photo attached are still there. I do not see them through the lens, just in photos (see lower right, and low 1/2 generally in attached). Dust removal doesn't work.

I've seen "sensor clean" kits out there. Also, there's professional cleaning. Thoughts? Anyone cleaned their own? Companies or people to use for professional?

Thank you for any guidance!

Attached Images

09-17-2018, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First step, and often successful for such rather large dust particles, is to use a blower - see this tutorial. It also covers further options.
Afterwards, if insufficient, I have used the Pentax O-ICK1 rather sucessfully, both with sticky dust and more smudgy stuff. Quick and simple, but somewhat pricey.
09-17-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #3

I've also had success with the Pentax O-ICK1. For blowers, Giottos is the best I've used.
09-17-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Visible Dust with the orange sensor swabs and their specific solution work well for both sensors and mirrors.

09-17-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the Pentax O-ICK1, I have never had any problems using it on a K200D or a K7.
09-17-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

A simple cleaning swab kit will do.
It's really easy.. don't worry about it..
09-17-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do not see the spots through the viewfinder, they are not on the mirror. Cleaning the mirror would be the last thing I would attempt myself, as it is front side silvered and hence quite delicate. The spots you illustrate via your attached image are most likely on the sensor. You have received good suggestions on how to proceed, using the method with the least potential for harm (blower) first.

09-17-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
If you do not see the spots through the viewfinder, they are not on the mirror. Cleaning the mirror would be the last thing I would attempt myself, as it is front side silvered and hence quite delicate. The spots you illustrate via your attached image are most likely on the sensor. You have received good suggestions on how to proceed, using the method with the least potential for harm (blower) first.
FWIW, the mirrors in our cameras aren't that delicate. I've cleaned several of them in the past, and as long as one isn't completely hamfisted and uses clean tools designed for delicate optical surfaces, should be fine.

The mirrors while front side silvered, do if I recall, have a protective coating on them now unlike the mirrors in our film SLRs from generations past. It would take quite a bit of effort to really damage them.

Don't forget that while scratches can diffuse light to the point that it affects the AF module behind it, so too can dirty mirrors. Cleaning them every once in a while is actually beneficial.

09-17-2018, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several threads on these forums about this topic. As a starting point, look here, maybe, following some of the cross-links, and/or conduct your own forums search about sensor cleaning:

Gel sticks for sensor cleaning? - PentaxForums.com

Personally, I haven't found gel sticks to be all that effective, or prone to create their own problems (gel residue, "distributing" specks instead of removing them, even if you take care to stamp them off after each cleaning step). But others seem to swear by them, and it may well be my lack of skill in using them.

Cannot recommend VisibleDust swabs and cleaning fluid either, since even trying to use them according to instruction, I ended up with smears on my K-3 sensor. (I do recall that the tiny vial in my mini set made it next to impossible to limit the amount of fluid applied to the swabs to a single drop, so that I went through all the swabs in the set that I had picked up and still saw those smears.) What finally did the trick for me, and did so 100%, were the competing VSGO products:

amazon.com : APS-C Frame (CCD/CMOS) Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning Swab Type 2 Cleaning Kit (Box of 12 X 16mm Swab + 15ml Sensor Cleaner) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Rollei seems to sell the same product with their own branding:

amazon.com : Rollei Sensor Cleaning Set APS-C - for professional wet or dry cleaning of cameras, vacuum packed and dust-free, white : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

And, yes, DSLR mirrors are still quite delicate. If there was anything minor on mine that didn't go away with a super-clean-and-gentle sensor brush, I would just leave it there, since it doesn't affect the image.

Disclaimer: The above are just my personal recommendations and preferences, based on personal use. People's mileage will vary.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.
09-17-2018, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
First step, and often successful for such rather large dust particles, is to use a blower - see this tutorial. It also covers further options.
Afterwards, if insufficient, I have used the Pentax O-ICK1 rather sucessfully, both with sticky dust and more smudgy stuff. Quick and simple, but somewhat pricey.
Yep. Had the same problem. Got the Pentax O-ICK1 and sensor is factory clean again. Scared the crap out of me yanking that thing off the sensor. But it worked. Watch the tutorials, and have a good stiff drink. Before and after, ha!
09-17-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Try to use the blower, if it doesn't work use the Pentax O-ICK1
09-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Try to use the blower, if it doesn't work use the Pentax O-ICK1
Thanks, all! Got the rocket blower and a cleaning kit. Rocket blower solved all.
09-21-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

O-ICK1 is with me for many years, I used it on many cameras of various brands and I was always satisfied with the result.
09-21-2018, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the blower does not work , use the sensor cleaning kit, it works on my 1st D, 1st DS, 1sr DL and my K3-II.
09-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

By Original Poster :

" Thanks, all! Got the rocket blower and a cleaning kit. Rocket blower solved all."

Did the blower remove the dust in the sensor/mirror? Is the photo now clear?

This is the first time I have seen a dust formation which is so arranged in circle in a prefect manner - I doubted the dust formation is not a dust but thermal effect on lens. I might be wrong but response by original poster will erase my misconception that it is not a dust. It reminds me of the song " Dust in the wind " lets have some fun.