Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Battery problem or Charger Problem?

I'm about 6 years into my K5ii. There's been a problem lately with pulling a battery out of the charger (both came with the camera) and then getting a low signal on my camera after installing it. I thought it was one or the other of the batteries, but I think at this point that it can happen with either. Other times, I seem to have a good, long, full charge.

I wonder sometimes if they're not seated firmly in the charger, but the light comes on and it's a pretty simple device, so I'm not sure what could be different about it. I also know that most rechargeable batteries don't last forever.

Any guesses as to whether this is a battery or a charger issue? What is a reasonable lifespan for K5 batteries?

09-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Life span is going to depend on usage. But I'm gonna guess battery wear over charger malfunction is the issue. My K-5 batteries are still holding up (knock on wood) but I have a couple of older batteries from my K20d days that don't seem to hold a consistent charge anymore either.
09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What's confusing is that it seems that if they take the charge, I get normal life out of them, but more and more, they just don't take the charge.
09-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Six years is a decent lifespan for these kinds of batteries. Batteries can age faster especially if run down to zero, stored dead, or exposed to high temperatures for long periods of time. But it's unlikely that BOTH batteries would age at identical rates. If either battery seems swollen, that's a sure sign of impending battery death.

Anyway, step one is to clean the contacts of the charger, batteries, AND the K5ii. Any bits of dirt/grease/oxidation could either prevent proper charging or make the camera think the battery was low.

After cleaning, if both batteries show identical symptoms then it's either a problem with the charger or the camera. If you have a multimeter, you can check the battery's voltage after charging. Freshly charged, it will be something like 8.2 to 8.4V. If both batteries don't charge up to this level, I'd suspect the charger.

You might also sniff around both the charger and the camera's battery and SD compartments. Any weird burnt smells could indicate a problem. Likewise, if ether charger or camera are getting hot can be a sign of a problem.

Good luck!

09-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

See the voltage if it can register a 7.0 volts or higher after charging it for more than 3 hours.
If it register then the charger is working good, If not try another charger to test if the battery is charging.
09-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #6

It's not a matter of taking a charge - what counts is holding the charge. You can test a worn out battery right after charging and it can show fully charged but as soon as you put a load on the voltage (charge) will drop dramatically.
09-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A simple point of view is that there is in the camera circuit this is " short circuit " I guess or faulty electronic parts that consume the battery charge like a faulty resistor, capacitor, conductor . To see what is the cause of draining battery is you feel which one is getting hot - the battery or camera after inserting the battery. If the battery is not at faulty, then the camera must be seen by the technician. Forum members can not see the problem by just posting what happened, it needs the right person to solve the problem you have.

10-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE and QUESTION:

It's the batteries. One in particular just won't hold a charge. The other one is better and usable, but has probably lost a step or two since new.

So, I need to buy a new one or two. Has anyone used non-Pentax branded ones? The official Pentax batteries are $50/each, but I can get other-branded D-Li90s for as little as 2 for $25. Almost worth trying regardless, but if anyone has direct experience good or bad, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'm sure the Pentax doesn't actually make batteries.
10-01-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
So, I need to buy a new one or two. Has anyone used non-Pentax branded ones?
Plenty of threads on this subject. Wasabi brand batteries are popular. Consensus is all the third party batteries last no where near (number of recharges) Pentax branded batteries. Number of shots per charge is typically less. Some reports of battery swelling.

Since Pentax and Konica-Minolta stopped selling batteries for my K10D I'm stuck with a 3rd party option.
10-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, sorry I missed the other threads. I'll do a search and see what I find.
10-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I ordered one new Pentax battery.